44 replies to this topic

#1 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 05:37 PM

I need some advices(AFX). Earlier this day I dropped my calculator at the ground. And it's seriously broken. When I press the ac butten a lot of trash signs are shown on the screen. After a 2 presses on the ac button, and a lot of presses on all the other buttons my calculator loads the start screen. then I get to the main menu, and when I press any thing the calculator gives me this: could not read drive J, retry, abort, fail. Now I will try to take my calculator apart, and fix it in some way. Anyone got any ideas?

1: the memory ship could have fallen apart from its place. "EDIT" there is no sockel for the memory ship.

2: ... your ideas!!!

3: ...

#2 Roeoender

Roeoender

UCF ASM/C Programming Only Winner

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Technical University student (informatics)
    Interests:
    Sport climbing
    Orieenting (100km walk in 23h31min)
    C/Asm on calculators

Dislike cars

• Calculators:
    CASIO AFX 2.0 ROM 1.01, 10 countable fingers

Posted 12 September 2002 - 05:55 PM

There is a possibility that your calc isn't seriously damaged, if CPU had been damaged then you couldn't run your calc at all.
You should locate Flash memory chip and check if it is correctly plugged.
Anyway you can always give it to (probably fantastic :D ) CASIO service.
Roeoender.

#3 dscoshpe

dscoshpe

Casio Freak

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0 (v1.00), 9850Ga+, 9800, BE-300 other..

Posted 12 September 2002 - 07:05 PM

you can try all the software resets, such as those in the test menus etc

- dscoshpe -

#4 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 04:13 PM

I have done every test in the test menu. And it gives me rom ng and flash ng. But the ram is ok. I have taken my calculator apart and everything seems alright at the first look. I do a more closer look at the whole calculator. And take photos of everything important and post it on my website, cuse I have not find any photos of the calculator in side.

what is the initalize flash in the test menu? It will recieve stuff form something.

Should I send it to the casio service? won't it cost a fortune?

#5 Exca

Exca

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 06:47 PM

Initialize flash means that it clears the flash and then rewrites it with the original files.

#6 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 10:36 AM

hmm, but how do I do it?, do I need an other calculator or can I do it by myself?

#7 BradN

BradN

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 04:49 PM

I'll tell you what probably happened. One or more of the address lines from the CPU don't work anymore, causing it to not be able to access a good portion of the ROM and flash.

The chips are likely fine, but one of the traces on the board is probably broken (maybe the board is cracked?)

If you can take it apart and fix the connection, you should be ok. You could look at a datasheet for the flash or ROM chip to find where the address lines are, and then check starting at the highest address line.

#8 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 06:42 PM

Ok, thanks for the good idea. I have already taken apart my calculator.

#9 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 09:35 AM

(i'm french)

You'd better give the calculator back to the people who sold you it !
In france, when you drop something in the ground, you can give it back to the shop and in mostely caser, the shop'll give you one another without paying !

#10 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 11:39 AM

I have own it for 2 years now. And the insurance only covers one year.

#11 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 07:13 AM

Ok , but as for me in france, Casio covers just one year but The shop where I bought my calculator covers 2 or 3 years, I don't konw exactly !

So try to repair it or buy an other !

Just one question : How much does a graph 100 cast in america ? Because In france, It cast about 135Euros.

#12 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:17 AM

There is no shop in Swden who are sellig the graph 100 t( I can't even buy an algebra fx 2)

#13 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:02 AM

You mean serious ??? And you can't ask for for a graph100 or graph100+ ?

#14 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 12:23 PM

Not in my city where I live. I think that is bad too.

#15 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 01:42 PM

Ok ! I tought you live in america. And can you ask for for a graph 80 or 65 ?
If not, You probably can buy one in the net...

#16 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 02:25 PM

We have no graph (model)(+) here in Sweden at all. Just the ordianry cfx and some shops in Sweden have the algebra series. But no in the city where I live :( We had it here when the AFX2 was new. But not any longer.

#17 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 02:36 PM

And you can't buy one there, when you move or go in holidays ?
You mean that your town where you live don't contain any shop or supermarket ?
Because as for me, I didn't buy my calculator in a shop! The shop asked for for the calculator I wanted to buy. So, sorry for you and try to get one

#18 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 07:46 PM

I don't need an other calculator before I totaly trased my current. I still belive that I can repair it. I haven't try yet :)

#19 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 06:05 AM

Yeah, so, try ! I've never open my calculator for have a look inside ! So I can't help you there !

#20 Guest_Ihmemies_*

Guest_Ihmemies_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:13 AM

I bought Casio FX1.0+ today with FA-123 cable.

My problem is that the crappy old program officially supports only win 3.1/win9x, and I have windows xp. Casio add-in installer and fa-123 don't work with xp, they simply can't transfer anything.

It just says: Transmit error,
1. check wheter tool-model type is correctly selected
2. check for proper connection of the communication cable
3. check that the port was correctly selected using link-communications.

For the first one, I selected AFX-series. I hope it includes FX1.0 too :9
My cable is connected propely, and I'm using COM1. Settings are ok in Device manager (bps 9600, parity none, data bits 8, stop bits 1, no hand shake).

Any suggestions?

#21 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:24 AM

This could have been in a new thread, because in this one it is a bit off-the-topic. Anyway, maybe http://www.casio.co....rame_index.html this is a revised version you can download. Or try to use CasioCOM at http://users.pandora.be/gp/casio/ For transfering.

#22 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 21 September 2002 - 05:49 PM

9600 is tooo low the AFX series communicate at 38400 bps (that is written in the manual)

#23 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 05:48 PM

I don't need an other calculator before I totaly trased my current. I still belive that I can repair it. I haven't try yet :)

but, if you didn't need your broken calculator anymore, would you send him to me so that i could see how this calculator works. i didn't have ever had worked with this calculator so i don't have any further informations about it, but i want some. if there would be any possibility.i can't buy the afx here in my town. the next shop where i could buy one is in a town 40km away from me. this calculators costs 99Euro.

bye

rstweb

#24 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 06:39 PM

I have an other casio calc that I'm using now(fx9400?). So I have no hurry...

#25 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 06:55 AM

hi, I was absent but I'm back !

So, did you manage to repair your calculator henrik ?

#26 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 07:26 PM

I have not tried yet, i have 2 casios, one AFX and one CFX. I can use the CFX at the tests in school, but not the AFX. So I have no hurry. And I have a lot of things to do i school at the moment(last year).

#27 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 03:02 PM

what's your grade ?

#28 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 07:22 AM

hmm, lets see. In Sweden we have 9 years of "basic" education. Then you go on to some thing that i think it's called collage in US, 3 years, the last for me(18 years old now). And then I'm going for university.

#29 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 06:59 AM

so I've to explain as for the france
We begin the school at 3 till the age of 6. Then we're in "Primaire" CP (you are teach to read), CE1, then CE2, CM1, CM1.
You go then to the (Coll?ge) at the age of 11, for 4 years. 6?me, 5?me, 4?me, 3?me. In 3?me, you have an exam called "Brevet". And then, you go to the "Lyc?e" for 3 years. 2nd, 1?re and Terminal ! In Terminal, You have the BAC, and you're normaly aged of 17-18. And then, when you've passed the BAC, you can go the university !

And as for, me, I'm in 1?re and I'm 16 !

#30 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 09:58 AM

oh no! i hate the french school system! we had it in french at school! aaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

bye

rstweb

#31 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:08 PM

Yeah I'm agree with you I don't like the French system school either... German's one seems to be better and espacially for the foreign language teaching (as you can see there isn't a lot of French round here...).

#32 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 12:28 AM

how do you mean it that there isn't a lot of french around? french was my second foreign language at school after english. i could learn russiann, too, but i didn't wanted it.
the german school system is better! i heard that the frenchies want to take the german school system!

bye

rstweb

#33 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 11:22 AM

At our school we can almost very language that we want, like russia, latin, german, english, spanish... and so on. But i don't like that language lesson so much, math and programing are better, a lot better.

#34 Guest_Bytefish Productions_*

Guest_Bytefish Productions_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2002 - 12:16 PM

Well at my school everything sucks.
The language lessons are boring.
Math is boring and programming, is one of the most boring lessons.
(Just doing pascal two lessons, BORING!!!!). :D

#35 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:52 PM

Yeah! programming is very boring! a fiend and me, we attack the school network in our programming lessons.
i can learn english (i have to learn!), french (i had, but i mustn't yet learn it), russia, latin and now since that year - spanish.

math is cool, because the teacher thought that we had heard something 2 years ago in the math lessons but nobody knows what he mean. :D

bye

rstweb

#36 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:09 PM

how do you mean it that there isn't a lot of french around?

Well I mean that a German and a French of the same age don't have an egual standard practice of English at all, a German will talk English better than a French.

That's why there isn't so many French people on the UCF :(...

#37 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:23 PM

Turbo pascal for 2 years now. 2h in a week. The teachers are talking about cobolt and thinks that we should start programing that language. They can't c++ nor java. Now we should start with delphi. But the teachers can't anything. I have programed delphi in 2h and knows a lot more than our theachers. Who do you think helps who? :D

#38 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:32 PM

It is the same at our school! But the best is: my teacher said that we have to program in Delphi in the second halfyear. But he don't know anything about Delphi! :D I said to a friend of me: Why don't we program in C++ and show it to our teacher or we teach C++ to our class. This would be the easiest way for our teacher. And now i returned to your question - in programming mostly the pupils know more than teacher! But general?ly at informatics. We had internet as topic and i Telnet for nearly everything. I asked him: why can't i access a ftp-server on port 21 via telnet but not via internet explorer?
the teacher answered: hm. i don't know. how did you accessed the ftp-server?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
It is so funny our informtaic-lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is always the same: teachers don't know more than pupils!

bye

rstweb

edit: to killers post 2minutes after me: killer,this is the most interesting in pascal!

#39 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:34 PM

Teachers for computer studies at school are idiots for the most time. But think about it! A decent programmer would go into the economy and do great software instead of teaching a bunch of silly school-kid idiots how to if-then :lol: After all in my last school year I had a very smart and cool teacher who went into recursive functions and quicksort algorithms and so on. (in pascal) Over the half of the class went mad. Only me and another guy understood what he wanted basically :rolleyes:

#40 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 06:30 PM

rstweb, why can't you go along with the french school system ? As for me, I think without a second thought that we've got a good school system unlike ohter school system...It just occured to me, did you descride us that does your school system looks like ? It's quite queer that people dislike our school system..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users