• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

CFX_Master suggested this topic, so here it is.

Personally in my opinion, I think Microsoft is okay. It's not bad, but it's not the best. People would often like to focus on the negatives, but Microsoft has some pros. I mean, Microsoft gives jobs to thousands of people. Without a job, how the heck are you going to feed your family....

Also a lot of people think Microsoft is always about closed-source. That's not true. If you did you research: http://www.microsoft...ce/default.mspx

Microsoft also has a SourceForge-esque like site promoting open source projects and etc: http://www.codeplex.com/
Microsoft also supports SourceForge. Microsoft even gives out source code for their Windows kernel to students and educators.
If you look around on their website, they give out free videos tutorials, eBooks, free software to let people learn programming.
Even for kids. Some 8 year old kid can go download those tutorials and learn Visual Basic or C# in just weeks. Plus, the simplicity and ease of their development tools allows rapid development (for example, someone could make their own web browser with Visual Studio in only 5 minutes with only 10 lines of Visual Basic code thanks to the .NET Framework) coupled with a massive and comprehensive MSDN documentation and is very excellent compared to the many of development tools out there.

I have to agree that Vista is slow and crappy, but Windows XP runs wicked fast and fine on my eMachine 700id which has a 700MHz Intel Celeron with only a measly 64MB of RAM. Strangely in fact, Windows XP loads up faster on my computer than a customized <{GNULINUX}> kernel with the bash shell only without any X Windows system. By the time <{GNULINUX}> has finished probing my hardware, loading the appropriates drivers, mounting file systems, etc, Windows XP has already well loaded it's GUI.

Apple on the other hand, I dislike heavily. If you think Microsoft's business practices were bad, you should take a look at all the negative advertising they did against IBM back in the 80's. IBM was like the hero, they brought together Intel and Microsoft to create the IBM PC. Apple on the other hand made fun of IBM saying that PCs are crap, because you'll always have to upgrade them. According to Apple, why pay $300 for a PC and spend time/money upgrading it in the future when you could buy a Apple computer which costs like 3 or 4 times more which they claim has better specs "so you never have to upgrade your computer again"? Take a look at this ad: . IBM is portrayed as the "Big Brother" on the screen who is always watching over you and the PC users are depicted as slaves to upgrading. Now Apple is doing the same thing today with all their iPod stuff...

#2 Andreas B

Andreas B

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G SD

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

In my experience, FreeBSD is a lot more of a solid OS, than any <{GNULINUX}> distro. I'm currently using <{GNULINUX}>, but I would use FreeBSD if it was aimed for desktop use.

(It is annoying that this IPB replaces <{GNULINUX}> with <{GNULINUX}>.)

#3 Andreas B

Andreas B

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G SD

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

You should try PC-BSD 1.5 (based on FreeBSD 6.3) that comes with a fully configured KDE desktop.
[...]
Btw, where's the problem with <{GNULINUX}> ? If there wasn't Hurd you could probably just call it GNU. ;)

The problem is with the forum, because we can't talk about the Llnux kernel itself without mentioning GNU. ;)
The thing with FreeBSD, but it is that there are fewer desktop apps for it than for Linux (understandable). Installing a pretty FreeBSD with KDE & friends is not really hard.

#4 Andreas B

Andreas B

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G SD

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

Uhm, I know - it is old news, but it has still not as good support as <{GNULINUX}> has, especially from proprietary software. Point is - that is the reason I don't use FreeBSD as a desktop OS. It is first-choice for server purposes, however :)

#5 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

Well, I can't say I hate Microsoft but it's really a strange company.
For instance, look at Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer - what a monkey. :D
But that will be solved soon - you know, Apple CEO Steve Jobs is one of the coolest and greatest guys ever seen in the IT branch. :P

Well, in my opinion, Gates, Ballmer and Jobs are just businessmen. You don't have to be smart and intelligent (as in technical, engineering, etc.) in the USA to be rich and famous, all you need to do is just be a good businessman and just sell. The true brain and genius behind Apple back in the 80's was Steve Wozniak. As you know already, Jobs overshadows Wozniak. Steve Jobs is just an agressive businessman. It was Jobs idea for those anti IBM-PC ads which he got the inspiration from reading Orwell's 1984. You know that saying, "History repeats itself". That is so true, . Now instead of targeting IBM, they are now targeting Microsoft. Plus, I also hate how all of Apple's Mac vs PC ad's assume that all PC's run only Windows. PC's can run <{GNULINUX}>, FreeBSD, DOS, Windows and heck they can now even Mac OS's. Apple is just taking advantage of people's ignorance and lack of knowledge, which in my opinion is just sick. I rather watch a Microsoft ad: . At least a Microsoft ad is lame and boring and doesn't rub that Macs suck in your face unlike Apple which shouts out that PCs suck and shoves it down your throat. All these Apple ads have done is just grow anger within the public. In fact after Apple started showing those Mac vs PC ads, there has been an exponential explosion of argument on the web about it. This just shows how evil Apple is.

Back to how Jobs, Gates and Ballmer are not geniuses... For Microsoft, the guy who original wrote DOS and was tricked into selling it to Bill Gates was Tim Paterson.

And this type of "businessman get famous while geek/nerd suffers" scenario has happened numerous of times in US American history. Look at Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. Tesla is obviously 100x more technically smart than Edison, but look who died poor and desperate...

#6 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

Actually, I don't understand why you're so annoyed by Apple ... there're just some funny ads.

Now that I look over my previous post, I can see how I became what I hated. How Apple-ish of me to do that...

I apologize. Hope the feng shui of this thread can be restored. :)

But I must admit Windows XP is a great, stable operating system - and that's why I decided to download one for free. :ph34r: :P

Time to call the police!!! Just kidding, I wouldn't rat you out. :D

#7 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:59 PM

just a quick note to say that this website servers are using FreeBSD and also that the next month my host is going to upgrade them :) Be prepared for a tremendous performance boost :)

Also note that the forum won't replace Linux by <{GNULINUX}> if you've written the later at least once in your post ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users