Photo
- - - - -

Casio Unveils Mind-blowing Prizm Series!

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX-9850GB PLUS, FX-9860G, TI 92+, TI89 Titanium, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CAS, TI 84+ SE, HP 50G, HP 35S, Elektronika MK-90, Elektronika MK-52, Elektronika MK-61, Elektronika B3-21, Elektronika MK-152, Elektronika MK-161, Sharp EL-9900

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

Well, mine arrived yesterday. I'm pleased with it so far.

#42 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:51 AM

I'm not thrilled I'm disappointed from this model. I wanted multicharacter variables, local variables, real procedures with params, integral of integral, better functions with strings, builtin constants (not variables) etc. etc.. If I wanted to play, I would buy used gameboy or sony playstation portable...

The main point of calc programming (at least in the TI-community) is to push the hardware as far as it will go and make it as functional as possible. For example, this is an example of a 3-D engine that's currently under development by a member named BenRyves.

Posted Image

As you can see, it clearly pushes the processor way beyond anything it was ever designed to handle. There are also plenty of programs that do everything from symbolic mathematics (on calculators without it built-in) and various things to extend the functionality of the calc. Frankly, I see no reason why we couldn't write those things ourselves if Casio only gives us access to the Assembly (or C).

#43 Vinx

Vinx

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Insight meditation

• Calculators:
    PRIZM fx-CG 10
    Classpad 330
    fx-9750GII, fx-9860GII SD
    fx-9860G SD, fx-9860G Slim
    Algebra FX 2.0 plus
    CFX-9850GB plus, CFX-9970G
    fx-7400G plus, fx-9750G plus
    fx-9700GE, CFX-9800G
    fx-7700GB*, fx-7700GE
    fx-7000G, fx-7500G
    fx-5500L*, fx-6300G
    fx-4500P*, fx-5800P

* once in use, now lost/dead.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Well, mine arrived yesterday. I'm pleased with it so far.

Good to hear someone had it too. ^_^
But I remember you said you ordered it > month ago?
May I ask where did you order? (just cusious) :huh:

#44 Thanos_of_MW

Thanos_of_MW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-cg10
    fx-3600P

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

I ordered mine from buy.com - $113 and got it in less than a week. I've had mine for a few days and I like it. TIs feel like crap after using it.
I hope Casio releases an SDK soon. One thing it needs is a CAS. Also, a way to convert common graphic formats to the 3gp and 3gb formats it supports. CSV input would have been nice if text was allowed (it only takes numbers)

#45 Guest_Ashbad_From_Omnimaga_*

Guest_Ashbad_From_Omnimaga_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

I ordered mine from buy.com - $113 and got it in less than a week. I've had mine for a few days and I like it. TIs feel like crap after using it.
I hope Casio releases an SDK soon. One thing it needs is a CAS. Also, a way to convert common graphic formats to the 3gp and 3gb formats it supports. CSV input would have been nice if text was allowed (it only takes numbers)

if the prizm has no SDK, then it is a pile of dog crap in my opinion. You casio pretty boys have fun with the math-oriented BASIC though :)

however, even if it DOES have an SDK, the ti community is always gonna be 50x larger, though then I might consider developing for it anyways with the SDK in C or ASM (hopefully raw assembly)

#46 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Ashbad, I hardly think this is the place to compare the size of the Casio and TI communities. There's no need to be insulting, nor to bash BASIC. You seem to have forgotten how good BASIC can be in the hands of a decent programmer. Contra and Portal proved that.

Edited by Qwerty.55, 12 December 2010 - 09:56 PM.

#47 HabanR

HabanR

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:51 AM

if the prizm has no SDK, then it is a pile of dog crap in my opinion. You casio pretty boys have fun with the math-oriented BASIC though :)

however, even if it DOES have an SDK, the ti community is always gonna be 50x larger, though then I might consider developing for it anyways with the SDK in C or ASM (hopefully raw assembly)

I fully agree with you. The firmware of Casio calculators is really primitive. It's so naive that I suspect that Casio developers haven't studied information technology as the language and compiler theory are the main subject (chomsky etc.) Otherwise Casio couldn't design so limited calculator. In fact one could create only very simple isolated programs - no libraries could be developed ( casio has no stack, local variables or parameters). That is the main reason that Casio has very limited community because no professional wants to waste his time with this calculator... This calculator is for teenagers that want to play or program simple games written with sdk...

#48 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

You don't need any of those features if you have Assembly, which is part of the SDK.

#49 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX-9850GB PLUS, FX-9860G, TI 92+, TI89 Titanium, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CAS, TI 84+ SE, HP 50G, HP 35S, Elektronika MK-90, Elektronika MK-52, Elektronika MK-61, Elektronika B3-21, Elektronika MK-152, Elektronika MK-161, Sharp EL-9900

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:58 AM

Actually, I cancelled my original order.

I ordered mine from another source and got it in just a few days.

#50 HabanR

HabanR

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

You don't need any of those features if you have Assembly, which is part of the SDK.

Following the same logic, I could say, that for you personal computer you don't need any library, os gui, you don't even need any high level programming language e.g. C++, it's really enough to have assembler, over night you may develop you own high precision math libraries and after few months you have quite good library background for programming user algorithm you want do do. But you have spend few weeks programming and you have no money from that. It's better to pay more and buy more suitable tool - real programmable calculator) e.g. HP or TI

#51 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

How do you think all modern software was developed? It was by people sitting down and writing in machine code/Assembly. No, it's not easy to do, but it has to be done for every new piece of hardware that comes out. The only reason it isn't done for every new computer is that they all use standard architectures, mostly x86. As for those "real programmable calculators," do you think that hasn't been done for them? Let's take the TI-83+ series, since the TI-Nspire is effectively unprogrammable without an OS hack. The only on-calc languages that you can program in are slow TI-BASIC and Z80 Hex. Since the hardware is designed to RAM clear whenever a bad instruction is fed to it (such as C7), you're stuck with TI-BASIC, unless you use your computer. That makes the most programmable of the TI-calculators as good for programming as the Prizm is expected to be be.

I'll take my chances with the better hardware.

#52 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

Let's take the TI-83+ series, since the TI-Nspire is effectively unprogrammable without an OS hack. The only on-calc languages that you can program in are slow TI-BASIC and Z80 Hex.

You know, that's a very common misconception. The Ti-Nspire is very programmable. It just uses a very different paradigm than other calculators. I've had mine for a while, and though I'm far from an expert, I have made it do some pretty impressive things with very little effort.

Just a correction. The Ti-Nspire is a very interesting machine.

But for everyday number crunching and ad-hoc programming, I love my Fx-CG10 so far.

#53 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

Ignoring the OS hacks used Ndless, which give you access to most of the calc, you're stuck with TI-BASIC. It's a great language for math programs, but it lacks all but the most rudimentary I/O commands. I'm not aware of many people who have been able to do much more than that with the Nspire.

But how quickly can the Prizm plot graphs? And do you see any way of executing Assembly code, which would suggest an SDK?

#54 Thanos_of_MW

Thanos_of_MW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-cg10
    fx-3600P

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

:plol:

Wow...didn't take long to a TI fanboy comment. I don't care for the inferior-overpriced pile of crap TI makes. I'm forced to lease one in college (for free, wouldn't have it any other way) because the teachers are too lazy to learn a better calculator. I got the Prizm because it has a better screen and it is easier to study graphed functions in it. On TI's crap everything looks like it was drawn with black Legos. Not too good for learning (it is 2010, put a higher-res color screen in the damned thing).

Have fun with your black-lego like games loser, and keep paying $100+ for 1980s technology(yes, your cpu is that old). I don't care for your 50x larger community, I've seen the crap you all made (with very few notable exceptions). Want to play games? buy a Gameboy, kid.

#55 DJ Omnimaga

DJ Omnimaga

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

• Calculators:
    TI-82 Advanced Edition Python
    TI-84+
    TI-84+CSE
    TI-84+CE
    TI-89T
    cfx-9940GT
    fx-7400G+
    fx 1.0+
    fx-9750G+
    fx-9860G
    fx-CG10
    HP 49g+
    HP 39g+
    HP 39gs
    HP 39gII
    HP Prime G1
    HP Prime G2
    Sharp EL-9600C

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Ashbad, if you are going to troll other forums, I would appreciate that you did not include "Omnimaga" in your nickname. Omnimaga in no way encourage this and I would not even tolerate this attitude on my site.

TI calcs are not that bad, but they are overpriced for the hardware they offer. I disagree with Thanatos_of_MV that most stuff made for TI is crap, though, plus you cannot bring a Game Boy in school, unlike calculator games between classes. But still remains the fact that the Prizm hardware pwns every TI calc by far.

Anyway I notice that this forum has started to become anti-games lately. What's happening here? Didn't the Casio community used to be both to help people use their calc but also game/utility development?See the File sharing section.

A lot of the TI guys are interested in switching to the Prizm and contributing here in the future, because the calc is so much better, hardware-wise, but some are already noticing the anti-game mentality that is reigning here now, and the result is that their Casio contributions ended up remaining on two TI forums.

#56 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Have fun with your black-lego like games loser, and keep paying $100+ for 1980s technology(yes, your cpu is that old). I don't care for your 50x larger community, I've seen the crap you all made (with very few notable exceptions). Want to play games? buy a Gameboy, kid.

Didn't notice the very nice 3D engine I posted above? That's running on the "80's" hardware (which actually stems from a 70's era processor and simultaneous SoC manufacturing processes) which you seem to dislike for some odd reason.

And if games are only for game systems, then shouldn't calculations only be for computers? I don't know about you, but I use my computer for quantum mechanical simulations from time to time. Good luck getting ANY handheld calculator to do that. Better just throw away that Prizm with *only* 65,536 colors possible. Heck, even a cheap LCD screen can display hundreds of thousands of colors minimum and still has the much faster computer processor attached.

#57 Vinx

Vinx

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

• Calculators:
    PRIZM fx-CG 10
    Classpad 330
    Algebra FX 2.0 plus
    fx-9700GE, CFX-9800G
    fx-7700GB*, fx-7700GE
    fx-7000G, fx-7500G
    fx-5500L*, fx-6300G
    fx-4500P*, fx-5800P

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

Hello guys, I have a story to tell.

I opened my fx-CG 10's back lid for replacing batteries yesterday and found heavy leakage ( :( I did just replace them last month and left the Prizm unused since then), I must screwed out the back of the case out of the mainboard and rinsed in water. I think the Prizm goes not so well with alkaline batteries (I already set a correct battery type) so I suggest anyone using the Prizm use Ni-MH type, it's more expensive but rechargeable and more reliable, BTW I'm not sure if the cause of leakage is the low quality of batteries I used (they're GP Ultra, a Chinese battery :P ).

Edited by Vinx, 19 January 2011 - 02:14 AM.

#58 noname11

noname11

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Here's a nice video from CES 2011:

#59 Guest_Casio Wannabee_*

Guest_Casio Wannabee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

Some kind soul with a CG10:

Would you please run this through your CG10 and tell us what it produces as output?

sqrt(50/49)

That's 1 radical enclosing the fraction 50 over 49.

Then please run it again as

x = sqrt(50/49)

(same thing: x on the left, then on the right 1 radical enclosing the fraction 50 over 49)

Where is the 5 in the answers? In the numerator portion of the fraction? As a whole number multiplied by the fraction?

Secondary question: What's the displayable physical screen size, horizontally and vertically, please? By "displayable" I mean that portion which can actually change. I.e., eliminate any borders which do not display any information.

Thanks!

Richard

#60 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

sqrt(50/49) returns (5sqrt(2))/7. X=sqrt(50/49) returns 0 because it's an inequality.

As for the maximum displayable screen size, in Assembly it's 216x384 pixels large. In BASIC, it's somewhat less because of the top of the screen has a display bar, which is approximately 25 pixels high.

#61 Guest_Casio Wannabee_*

Guest_Casio Wannabee_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

As for the maximum displayable screen size, in Assembly it's 216x384 pixels large. In BASIC, it's somewhat less because of the top of the screen has a display bar, which is approximately 25 pixels high.

Thank you. I guess I wasn't clear on what I needed. Would it be imposing on you too much to request another reply, this time expressing screen dimensions in your choice of mm, cm or fractions of an inch, please? My eyesight isn't what it used to be. Density of resolution isn't my primary concern. My primary concern is how big (or small) the display area is in length measurements.

And I suppose for non-active border areas, perhaps let's stick with the keyboard-only display results and ignore the programable addressability. Maybe it might be best to pull up one of the enclosed photographs that fills the screen and measure that? Or type in an inequality graph (and execute it) that shades a large are of the screen, easily showing where non-usable border areas are. Or anything else that is easy for you to do.

Thanks for your insight!

Richard

#62 Qwerty.55

Qwerty.55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Thank you. I guess I wasn't clear on what I needed. Would it be imposing on you too much to request another reply, this time expressing screen dimensions in your choice of mm, cm or fractions of an inch, please? My eyesight isn't what it used to be. Density of resolution isn't my primary concern. My primary concern is how big (or small) the display area is in length measurements.

And I suppose for non-active border areas, perhaps let's stick with the keyboard-only display results and ignore the programable addressability. Maybe it might be best to pull up one of the enclosed photographs that fills the screen and measure that? Or type in an inequality graph (and execute it) that shades a large are of the screen, easily showing where non-usable border areas are. Or anything else that is easy for you to do.

Thanks for your insight!

Richard

1(3/8)" x 2(5/8)"

#63 Guest_Casio Wannabee_*

Guest_Casio Wannabee_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

Thanks! That's actually larger than I was expecting.

Richard

#64 Martin

Martin

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:asm on cfx9850

• Calculators:
    fx82l
    fx7700GB
    cfx9850G
    TI92
    fx9860G SD
    Rheinmetall KEL IIc
    H. W. Ebmeyer - Tarema
    fx cg20

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

Prizm OS 1.02 is available for download at https://edu.casio.co...ad/category.php
More information at http://www.omnimaga....hp?topic=6428.0

#65 noname11

noname11

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

WARNING: OS 1.02 from edu.casio.com reintroduces the known locate bug!
In case your device came with OS 1.02 preinstalled: Do not update as this version is DIFFERENT!

#66 DJ Omnimaga

DJ Omnimaga

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

• Calculators:
    TI-84+
    TI-84+CSE
    TI-84+CE
    TI-89T
    cfx-9940GT
    fx-7400G+
    fx 1.0+
    fx-9750G+
    fx-9860G
    fx-CG10
    HP 49g+
    HP 39g+
    HP 39gs
    HP 39gII
    HP Prime G1
    HP Prime G2
    Sharp EL-9600C

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

For some reasons, I believe that when they made that installer they accidentally put in OS 1.01 instead of 1.02 or they actually made an update to 1.01 without knowing there was already 1.02 on some calcs, and simply did not fix the locate bug again in that copy. I hope they fix that...

#67 Guest_TheRedBull_*

Guest_TheRedBull_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

for those of you who didn't know yet there's a PRIZM emulator (3-month trial) available at the casio store:

http://edu.casio.com...ries/fxcg10_20/

go to "free trial", enter the information required and then choose the 2nd software

#68 Guest_Fishbot_*

Guest_Fishbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:21 AM

For some reasons, I believe that when they made that installer they accidentally put in OS 1.01 instead of 1.02 or they actually made an update to 1.01 without knowing there was already 1.02 on some calcs, and simply did not fix the locate bug again in that copy. I hope they fix that...

Well, the new version *is* v1.02. The problem is that it's not the same v1.02 that comes pre-loaded on the calcs. If I had the installer for the functional OS, then I could probably fix whatever it is. Until another update comes out though and we can compare the changes, we'll just have to continue with the rather painful extraction of code from the single update available. It'd also help to have some way of identifying where the OS begins in memory.

#69 Vinx

Vinx

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

• Calculators:
    PRIZM fx-CG 10
    Classpad 330
    Algebra FX 2.0 plus
    fx-9700GE, CFX-9800G
    fx-7700GB*, fx-7700GE
    fx-7000G, fx-7500G
    fx-5500L*, fx-6300G
    fx-4500P*, fx-5800P

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

:hammer: Has anybody thought of fx-CG10 => fx-CG20 conversion using ROM backup/restore process yet?

#70 Guest_Fishbot_*

Guest_Fishbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

:hammer: Has anybody thought of fx-CG10 => fx-CG20 conversion using ROM backup/restore process yet?

Do you have a suggestion on how to extract the ROM from an fx-CG10 or 20?

#71 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

Do you have a suggestion on how to extract the ROM from an fx-CG10 or 20?

Be patient. Simon and the TI guys are already working on it.

#72 Vinx

Vinx

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

• Calculators:
    PRIZM fx-CG 10
    Classpad 330
    Algebra FX 2.0 plus
    fx-9700GE, CFX-9800G
    fx-7700GB*, fx-7700GE
    fx-7000G, fx-7500G
    fx-5500L*, fx-6300G
    fx-4500P*, fx-5800P

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Yes, I refered to Simon's work but I don't know any thing of how TI guys concerning this. :wacko:

#73 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Yes, I refered to Simon's work but I don't know any thing of how TI guys concerning this.

http://www.omnimaga....php?board=146.0 :thumbsup:

#74 Guest_Fishbot_*

Guest_Fishbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

I'd be one of those TI guys :P

Sorry for the confusing names, though. Qwerty.55 == Fishbot. This site just doesn't like my browser when I'm logged in.

Anyway, having the OS is different from having a physical memory dump, though. The addresses are easier to understand in a physical dump than in the OS file. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of things to be learned from the OS, like the apparent support for an SD card and NOR ROM flashing.

#75 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:50 AM

I'd be one of those TI guys :P

Sorry for the confusing names, though. Qwerty.55 == Fishbot. This site just doesn't like my browser when I'm logged in.

Anyway, having the OS is different from having a physical memory dump, though. The addresses are easier to understand in a physical dump than in the OS file. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of things to be learned from the OS, like the apparent support for an SD card and NOR ROM flashing.

TI guys means that you work for TI??

#76 DJ Omnimaga

DJ Omnimaga

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

• Calculators:
    TI-84+
    TI-84+CSE
    TI-84+CE
    TI-89T
    cfx-9940GT
    fx-7400G+
    fx 1.0+
    fx-9750G+
    fx-9860G
    fx-CG10
    HP 49g+
    HP 39g+
    HP 39gs
    HP 39gII
    HP Prime G1
    HP Prime G2
    Sharp EL-9600C

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

Nah, he just means he is mostly a TI programmer who is interested by the Prizm. In fact a bunch of TI calculator owners are examinating the Prizm OS and files to figure out ways to jailbreak it.

#77 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:52 AM

TI guys means that you work for TI??

No. It means that we're from a calc community that's mostly focused on TI calcs.

EDIT: DJ stop ninjaing me D:

Edited by JosJuice, 16 February 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#78 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Now that more and more people from different calculator communities are getting together, I would suggest the following:
If you need to abbreviate the term "CASIO" for whatever reason, then use "FX". This looks way better along with "TI" and "HP".

#79 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

Nah, he just means he is mostly a TI programmer who is interested by the Prizm. In fact a bunch of TI calculator owners are examinating the Prizm OS and files to figure out ways to jailbreak it.

Please forgive my lack of understanding. What does jailbreak mean? Thanks.

#80 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

Please forgive my lack of understanding. What does jailbreak mean? Thanks.

It means to "hack" a device to make it run our code. Actually, DJ isn't using the term "jailbreak" 100% correctly in his post, and I'm not sure that I'm using it correctly either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users