#1 Simprobe

Simprobe

Administrator

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 02:29 AM

Moderator & Admin Teams:

Hello, this topic is here for anyone who wants info on casio cables or anything related to them. Feel free to post more questions here and you will recieve answers from other members, all we ask is that you read the entire topic to see if your question has already been answered. If you fail to adhere to these guidelines you will be assaulted with sarcasim and given 20 lashes with a wet noodle (yes, we can find you!).

seriously, please refrain from posting off topic here and asking redundant questions. We know its long but people get annoyed when they have to quote themselves. Also, no new cable topics will be allowed so if you create a new one it will be placed at the end of this one.

Simprobe, CrimsonCasio, Mohamed, Bitwise, Bytefish Productions, 2072, Killer83Z
B)

Edited by CrimsonCasio, 15 May 2003 - 12:43 AM.

#2 unicorn

unicorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

is there any possibility to use a link cable of a ROLODEX RF-384 pocket organiser to connect a CFX9850 with a computer. The connectors are the same, but there could be a different wiring.

Does anybody have informations about?

Ralf

Edited by CrimsonCasio, 08 May 2003 - 07:55 PM.

#3 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 09 September 2002 - 03:17 PM

Maybe you can check out some circuits of the calc link cable at www.casiocorner.rpd.nl or ww.casio-programs-avenue.com.

Anyway, I wouldn't believe in a compatibility...

#4 unicorn

unicorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 07:15 AM

Hi,

I have got many applications to build a link cable and this wouldn't be a problem to do, but it would be nice if the ROLODEX cable fits in this case.

Ralf

#5 Kolky

Kolky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 03:17 PM

Is it possible to make an cable with USB to an Casio. It works just the same as my mp3 player. So I think it can.. but does anyone know how to make it work? :blink:

#6 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 04:15 PM

The cable is a standard rs-232 cable. And I think that you will need some components to get the signals to fit to the usb port.

#7 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 13 September 2002 - 04:35 PM

Possible: yes. Worth to try it: no.

But then again, it might be fun for someone to try this, but you would need to write a communication program on the computer that is reading the usb port...Not to mention the time and effort you would need to put into designing the hardware of a usb link cable.

#8 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 12:22 AM

for the bottom cable
http://www.casiocorn...bles/Univer.jpg
how do u plug int the 9v battery?

#9 BradN

BradN

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 02:07 AM

You probably don't need the 9v battery. The circuit is set up so you can switch between powering from the battery, or trying to power it from extra data lines on the cable. Usually, powering from the cable with the diodes is enough.

Good luck if you try making it :)

#10 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 04:54 AM

im having touble finding the 1 MAX232 IC (ICL232CPE)
where can i get that?

#11 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 11:01 AM

Where are you from?
here in Germany you can buy one at Reichelt Elektronik www.reichelt.de
In other countries (and specially in Germany) you can buy one online at Conrad Electronic www.conrad.com

bye

rstweb

#12 BradN

BradN

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 04:52 PM

for the US and probably canada (maybe elsewhere, I've never checked where they can all ship), try digikey

http://www.digikey.com

their shipping speed on in-stock parts is incredibly fast.

#13 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 06:25 AM

for the people who made their cables
what kind of electrolytic capacitors did you use?
and did you use a circut board?

#14 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 08:25 AM

for the people who made their cables
what kind of electrolytic capacitors did you use?
and did you use a circut board?

i used normal Electrolyte condensers.
i did used a plastic board with the size of 10x30mm. i connected the connections with little wires.

bye

rstweb

#15 BradN

BradN

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 08:35 PM

I think I used 10?F capacitors, and mine seems to work fine. The only thing I changed from the design otherwise is an extra capacitor to ground on the power before it enters the regulator.

I used one of the small radio shack boards that just has copper around each hole (no connections between otherwise). For the connection to the calculator, I soldered in a socket to use the calc-calc cable that came with the calculator, and for the PC, a surface mount female DB-9 serial connector. It works pretty well in my opinion. Just remember the calc-calc cable swaps the transmit and receive, and you should be fine.

#16 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 10:53 PM

do u mean your used the radio shack boards that have pre-made holes with the things around them?
then wouldnt you need to wire it still?
what kind of wires did you use?

#17 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 11:08 PM

is the board like one of these
http://www.allelectr...d/full/PC-2.jpg
?

#18 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 11:17 PM

are the capacitors Axial Alum Electrolytic or Non-Polar Axial Electrolytic or Radial Electrolytic does it matter?

#19 BradN

BradN

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 12:49 AM

Yeah, the board looks similar to the one in the picture. It was actually the one that came with one of the small project cases, so I'm not sure if you can buy it separately. If you do use a project case, I suggest cutting out a rectangle on the end of the case (all the way up from the bottom) for the DB-9, and just drilling a hole or something to run the calc socket out. Wires don't matter much, I prefer just general solid wire as it's a little easier to work with, I think. Don't get wire too small that it's going to break as you work with it...

Capacitor types don't matter as long as you put the polarity the right way if need be.

#20 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 01:24 AM

how much Volts do the capacitors have..

i dont get it so how did you connect everything to the circuit board?
with wires? or how did you solder it on the board cause there are alot of holes. and connect the stuff together?

you got any pictures of the one you made that i can look at?
does anybody got pictures of the one they made?

#21 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 04:50 AM

the capacitors must have more than 5V. if you have capacitors with 63V, you can use them!
i connected them all with wires, but sometimes, i had to solder some elements over other elements.
i will make some pictures of my cable, but i don't know when. i will try to make one today.

bye

rstweb

#22 j2n

j2n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:05 PM

you can see my cable pic and the blueprint of it in my page (is under construction and in spanish) i do not use casio corner?s, i use an easy one

http://www.geocities.com/nicval22

#23 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 09:42 AM

You'd better no do it, we never can tell. It can broke or dammage your calculator. You really ought to buy a original cable, but if you're really sure about what you wanna do, do it!
As for my cable for my calculator, It's in serial port and I didin't know that usb to calculator cable exist !

#24 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 11:48 AM

Ti have USB-kables for some of thier calculator so why could't Casio make USB-kables for thier calculators? Or some one can develope one.

#25 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 01:50 PM

hm. i have an idea. i will make on my new casio-page a section where i list the ideas for projects and if somebody is developing in this project he can subscribe to this project and the members of this project are avaiable to communicate with each other.

bye

rstweb

#26 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 06:11 PM

ok, that sounds lika a good idea. Would you read all the posts and then list it on our website? or must everyone with an idea e-mail it to you?

#27 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:18 PM

i hope i still know all the ideas, but if i forgot one, please mail me! casio AT rstweb.de

i will read most of the threads again.

bye

rstweb

#28 BradN

BradN

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 02:24 AM

You guys know they make USB -> serial adapters right? All you'd have to do is add on a max232 circuit and you'd be done. It would be too much work to program a microcontroller to interface the USB to the 5v serial, especially if it doesn't emulate a normal serial port to the PC.

#29 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 06:51 AM

Yeah but is the USB cable better than the SERIAL cable ?
I'm not sure that it'll be really better ! What do you think about it ?

#30 Henrik

Henrik

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:14 AM

The problem is that you have the rs-232 port on the calculator and data transfer will not be faster that what the port can handle. And to make a plug and play usb-cable you have to do a lot of hardware. So my opinion, don't try to make one.

#31 Martin

Martin

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:asm on cfx9850

• Calculators:
    fx82l
    fx7700GB
    cfx9850G
    TI92
    fx9860G SD
    Rheinmetall KEL IIc
    H. W. Ebmeyer - Tarema
    fx cg20

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:06 AM

You guys know they make USB -> serial adapters right?  All you'd have to do is add on a max232 circuit and you'd be done.  It would be too much work to program a microcontroller to interface the USB to the 5v serial, especially if it doesn't emulate a normal serial port to the PC.

In most cases the serial ports have TTL (5V) UART with max232.
So there is a possiblity to simply REMOVE the max232. I think the USB<->RS232 adapters are done this way.
  • peter likes this

#32 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 05:57 PM

when making a cable it says you might need a 9v battery...
how would you know when you would need a 9v battery

#33 BradN

BradN

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 10:57 PM

Your first clue would likely be the cable not working or working unreliably without it....

#34 Guest_snowbird_*

Guest_snowbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2002 - 04:20 PM

usually you dont need any battery while you get the power from two rs-232 lines...
but for some reasons you will find notebooks which might have lower voltage levels on their rs-drivers - so there you need some special cable versions to work with...

#35 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 05:41 PM

when my new casio-site is ready, i would have pictures and informations about my cable and i don't need any battery on my cable. i did it like snowbird said. i used the power of 2 rs-232 lines. i tried my cable with the notebooks of two of my friends and i didn't had any problems, so i mean you could build and use it with notebookss, too.

bye

rstweb

#36 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 05:49 AM

anybody here every bought a cable online?
and if you did from who and how much?

#37 IainC

IainC

Administrator

• [Legends]
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:15 AM

Firstly, if you mean a calc-to-calc (which I doubt you do) it's easiest to make your own (remember CFX requires different wiring to AFX).

If you mean a calculator to comp lead then your best to either make one yourself (it's quite easy if you've done that kind of thing before and you can get diagrams from a number of casio sites (I can't remember where I saw them). Or you can buy them directly from casio. I think if your going to buy them you migtht as well go thru casio they will probibly want to sell you the FX-Interface lead (programs in .fxi format) but this isn't a problem as Libthium (if memory serves) wrote a fix which allows you to use either FA-123 (or whatever version) .cat format anyway and .fxi with either lead. It was called fxiandcat2.zip I can't remember whether or not it's on my site. But if you get a lead and can't find it just e-mail me and I'll send the patch to you. it was about ?18 (mind u I'm not certain) for lead+software (that's about $12 I think)

#38 Simprobe

Simprobe

Administrator

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 03:02 AM

For my calc-to- calc link.. I just stole a TI link from school..and crossed over the two wires. It works like a charm :)

You could do that.

#39 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 07:45 AM

look at casioscorner! there you find the diagrams!

bye

rstweb

#40 Sn0rKy

Sn0rKy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 12:16 AM

talk bout the comp to calculater..
cause i dont know how to make my own

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users