- - - - -

New Ti-nspire Cx Coming

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thank you for keeping us informed. It seems that TI does everything it can to prohibit third party software, which by the way makes smart phones instantly successful products, so hopefully Casio will realize that it is in their best interests to help you guys out and do so. The Prizm is a good device and I believe that some good third party software for the Prizm can make it a more desirable product than the nspire for many people. Also, an online store for third party apps for Casio calc's would be really awesome. Hopefully someone from Casio will read this.

Wow, take a look at this! Awesome progress being made with the prizm which has only been available for about a couple of months.
http://www.omnimaga....hp?topic=7175.0

#42 Guest_alec_*

Guest_alec_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

bleh, the nspire CS is going to suck for noneducational purposes, I am getting a prizm... plus the CS is just a crappy copy of the prizm, so while it has math and all the fun stuff, it still lacks the proper programming for us devs

#43 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

bleh, the nspire CS is going to suck for noneducational purposes, I am getting a prizm... plus the CS is just a crappy copy of the prizm, so while it has math and all the fun stuff, it still lacks the proper programming for us devs

Many of us are not dev's but we totally agree with you anyway. For over 4 years now, TI's policy has been to do every thing for high school teachers and give the rest of us the finger. So now that Casio has come out with a superior device it is a real pleasure to tell TI "we don't need you so take your additude and your third rate junk and go to hell."

I really like the Prizm and I think you will to. Also, you can count on me to NOT buy an nspire. I pledge to not buy any nspires. I support the boycott of TI nspire calculators. How about you? Isn't it time for TI to learn that there are consequesces associated with ignoring the people who used to buy their products?

TI, it's our turn now and what goes around comes around. So read my middle finger.

An engineer.

#44 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Many of us are not dev's but we totally agree with you anyway. For over 4 years now, TI's policy has been to do every thing for high school teachers and give the rest of us the finger. So now that Casio has come out with a superior device it is a real pleasure to tell TI "we don't need you so take your additude and your third rate junk and go to hell."

I really like the Prizm and I think you will to. Also, you can count on me to NOT buy an nspire. I pledge to not buy any nspires. I support the boycott of TI nspire calculators. How about you? Isn't it time for TI to learn that there are consequesces associated with ignoring the people who used to buy their products?

TI, it's our turn now and what goes around comes around. So read my middle finger.

An engineer.

Well said. Count me in. I pledge to not buy any nspires also, and I support the boycott of TI nspire calculators.
:greengrin:

#45 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

Well said. Count me in. I pledge to not buy any nspires also, and I support the boycott of TI nspire calculators.
:greengrin:

I don't see what is so much better about the prizm over the ti nspire cx. The only advantage it has is a more fully developed on-calc program editor, exact rational and irrational answers, and unit conversions. For 3 extra dollars you can get a cas nspire that has both the exact answers and unit conversions. What else is superior about the calc? It has less memory( 16 or less megabits is going to be used up quickly with picture plot), a slower processor, an old style keyboard, lacks 3d and differential equation graphing, a folder to manage stored documents, connections to data collecting devices,less popularity,pictures can be viewed only in picture plot whereas the nspire can view them in all but the calculate application, etc. And you still can create basic programs on the nspire although the prizm's programming, I'm sure, is much better. Am I missing something? Please reply.

Btw, any device with a touch screen, whether it has a qwerty keyboard or not, is not allowed on SAT or ACT test.

#46 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:18 AM

I don't see what is so much better about the prizm over the ti nspire cx. The only advantage it has is a more fully developed on-calc program editor, exact rational and irrational answers, and unit conversions. For 3 extra dollars you can get a cas nspire that has both the exact answers and unit conversions. What else is superior about the calc? It has less memory( 16 or less megabits is going to be used up quickly with picture plot), a slower processor, an old style keyboard, lacks 3d and differential equation graphing, a folder to manage stored documents, connections to data collecting devices,less popularity,pictures can be viewed only in picture plot whereas the nspire can view them in all but the calculate application, etc. And you still can create basic programs on the nspire although the prizm's programming, I'm sure, is much better. Am I missing something? Please reply.

Btw, any device with a touch screen, whether it has a qwerty keyboard or not, is not allowed on SAT or ACT test.

The Prizm is SAT and ACT qualified but more than that I think you have missed the main point of the last few posts. I will try to explain.

From the beginning of the nspire era TI has rudely ignored the many groups of customers whose business they used to have and that causes a dynamic that goes way beyond calculator features. By rudely ignoring the college students and teachers in math science and engineering, and developers, and all sorts of professionals, and BTW none of these groups has been clammering for a folder to store things in, TI has destroyed the good will that they used to have with these people. Basically what these groups have asked for is an imporvement on the math capabilities of the Classpad, Hp50g, and TI-89, and the same simple programing capability of previous TI products. How did TI respond? They very stupidly and arrogantly ignored those people bestowing all their efforts on high school teachers whose business they had locked up anyway. That was not to smart. Mean while the Prizm introduction with its long battery life and very attractive color screen, attractive case, and large appealing buttons, along with great math capabilities provided a convenient point in time for the people that TI has ignored, to recognize that they don't need TI, nor TI's products, nor to be ignored by TI. So what you have read is the result of pent up frustration with the way TI has turned their back on the very people who were their loyal customers, and these people are now taking an opportunity to tell TI very explicitly what they think of them. For example their color screen CX me-to-ism still doesn't provide what people want, which very importantly includes being treated politely. That is what this is all about. It's TI's failure to appreciate their old customers, to acknowledge them, to provide what they want to buy, and most importantly to treat them politely and with respect.

I have never understood why American companies treat their customers so poorly, nor why Americans put up with such poor treatment. Can you please explain that to me?

#47 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

The Prizm is SAT and ACT qualified but more than that I think you have missed the main point of the last few posts. I will try to explain.

From the beginning of the nspire era TI has rudely ignored the many groups of customers whose business they used to have and that causes a dynamic that goes way beyond calculator features. By rudely ignoring the college students and teachers in math science and engineering, and developers, and all sorts of professionals, and BTW none of these groups has been clammering for a folder to store things in, TI has destroyed the good will that they used to have with these people. Basically what these groups have asked for is an imporvement on the math capabilities of the Classpad, Hp50g, and TI-89, and the same simple programing capability of previous TI products. How did TI respond? They very stupidly and arrogantly ignored those people bestowing all their efforts on high school teachers whose business they had locked up anyway. That was not to smart. Mean while the Prizm introduction with its long battery life and very attractive color screen, attractive case, and large appealing buttons, along with great math capabilities provided a convenient point in time for the people that TI has ignored, to recognize that they don't need TI, nor TI's products, nor to be ignored by TI. So what you have read is the result of pent up frustration with the way TI has turned their back on the very people who were their loyal customers, and these people are now taking an opportunity to tell TI very explicitly what they think of them. For example their color screen CX me-to-ism still doesn't provide what people want, which very importantly includes being treated politely. That is what this is all about. It's TI's failure to appreciate their old customers, to acknowledge them, to provide what they want to buy, and most importantly to treat them politely and with respect.

I have never understood why American companies treat their customers so poorly, nor why Americans put up with such poor treatment. Can you please explain that to me?

Wow, you really understand. American companies like TI are so consumed by greed that they have lost site of their responsibility to treat people the way they should. They rationalize their moral wrong doing for the sake of greater and greater corporate profit which is nothing more than greed. When is enough enough? No amount of money will satisfy them. They are morally lost. Managers of companies like TI have actually sold their souls for bonuses and stock options. That is why American companies treat their customers so poorly. To answer your second question, why do Americans put up with such poor treatment? They don't. That is why they buy foreign made autos and that is why, as evidenced by the posts here, they are turning to foreign made calculators.

#48 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Quote Dark Cloud"By rudely ignoring the college students and teachers in math science and engineering, and developers, and all sorts of professionals, and BTW none of these groups has been clammering for a folder to store things in, TI has destroyed the good will that they used to have with these people."

Thats what I'm asking: what does the prizm offer that the college students and proffesional want that the npsire cx doesn't? What makes the prizm so much better than the nspire cx? I have looked on many forums but I have not gotten that answer.

#49 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

Quote Dark Cloud"By rudely ignoring the college students and teachers in math science and engineering, and developers, and all sorts of professionals, and BTW none of these groups has been clammering for a folder to store things in, TI has destroyed the good will that they used to have with these people."

Thats what I'm asking: what does the prizm offer that the college students and proffesional want that the npsire cx doesn't? What makes the prizm so much better than the nspire cx? I have looked on many forums but I have not gotten that answer.

For K-12 the Prizm offers lower cost, easier programing, and is less difficult to Use. College teachers and students along with professionals on the other hand, need a cas calculator, so compare the Casio cas, Hp cas, and TI cas calculators and let me put that into historical perspective for you. A few years ago, the users of the TI-nspire site (which was shut down by TI), submitted to TI a list of requested features while the nspire was in development. Nothing on that list was addressed by the release of nspire or the nspire cas. Probably the most important thing on the list was Laplace transforms which are used to solve differential equation problems in college undergrad math and engineering courses. It is noteworthy that the HP50g and Casio Classpad have had this capability for many years while TI has declined to provide it for many years. Then there is 3D graphing with zoom and shift/pan capability. Often you want a closer look at a portion of a 3d plot so you zoom in. If the area you are interested in gos off screen when you zoom in, you need to shift that area back onto the screen but TI-cares has indicated that you cannot do that with the new CX 3d graphing capability. Such a crippled 3d graphing capability is very disappointing. Also missing is implicit plotting, Fourier transforms, Eigen value and Eigen vector capability, and the Gamma function along with the Wronskian test to mention the important items that I seem to remember as being on the list that was submitted to TI. As I recall, the list had somewhere around ten or twelve requested math capabilities that are used by undergrad college students and professionals. In the intervening years since that list was submitted to TI, other than the crippled 3d graphing capability due out with the CX, not a one has been addressed by TI. Presumably that is because these capabilities are not important to the K-12 teachers who are the only focus of TI's attention.

Along with the new Casio Prizm, no doubt Casio will soon release a color screen version of the Classpad and that will be awesome because by virture of having Laplace and Fourier transforms, the Classpads already have math superiority over the nspire cas cx. In addition, there is the question of what HP will do. The pressure is on them to come out with a color version of the HP50g and their math capability is second only to Maple and Mathematica. So now is NOT the time to get interested in the TI CX calculator. Now is the time to wait and see what Casio and Hp come out with in response to the new TI cas cx, which BTW is still not available. :rolleyes:

#50 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

...Along with the new Casio Prizm, no doubt Casio will soon release a color screen version of the Classpad and that will be awesome because by virture of having Laplace and Fourier transforms, the Classpads already have math superiority over the nspire cas cx. In addition, there is the question of what HP will do. The pressure is on them to come out with a color version of the HP50g and their math capability is second only to Maple and Mathematica. So now is NOT the time to get interested in the TI CX calculator. Now is the time to wait and see what Casio and Hp come out with in response to the new TI cas cx, which BTW is still not available. ...

It's a fine time to get interested in the TI CX. If it floats your boat, buy it, try it and see how you like it. Tell us how it goes. If you don't like it you can always sell it online and get back 80% of your purchase price.

It's pretty obvious that TI has chosen to focus on the High School market because that's apparently more profitable for them. Which leaves everything else for Casio and HP. Anyone have a number for what percent of the market share 'everything else but high school' would be ? Just curious. For years, there have been rumors that HP would even get out of the calculator business completely. So I wonder what's going to happen when they are faced with the prospect of having to greatly improve the 50g. What a shame if the marketing people at HP decide to let the 50g wither on the vine. Hopefully not.

The calculator market must not be very profitable to begin with or we would see more frequent major hardware revisions ( when did the original classpad come out, 2003 ? ). Software updates aren't up to the frequency most of us would prefer either. Why is this if not for lack of profit ? Whatever the reason, it sucks. And to some degree, all of the big 3 suck in this same way. And while I hate the possibility, I think that the situation will get worse as cell phones, iPads and iPod touch like devices get even more prevalent and refined. Just like people settled for the lackluster quality of their music formats ( MP3 vs CD ) for the sake of it being convenient on the device they already happened to own, this may happen to the calculator market with people settling for a CAS Graphing calculator on their cell phone, iPad ( whatever ) even though the device doesn't have dedicated keys to do common functions ( trig, reciprocal, etc... ). The cell phone probably isn't allowed in classes or standardized tests, but is the Classpad with its touch screen ? I'm asking because I really don't know for sure but I've heard touch screens are not allowed for whatever reason - and I can't think of a good reason.

Anyway, I hope the future is not as gloomy as I've painted it. And this might be directed at a different poster who mentioned American Companies and gullable American consumers. But my point is all the companies, whether in the U.S. or Europe, are after the same thing are they not ? If Casio or HP had the opportunity to be in TI's shoes right now would they turn that down ? And I assume where TI is must be the most profitable place otherwise why do it ? I'm not saying it's right or the best for the customer but isn't that the way it is ?

It would be very cool if TI would branch the hardware and create a new model of the Nspire that was targeted toward engineers. For that particular model they could throw away their goal of making the calc acceptable in standardized tests. Maybe add dedicated trig keys and a querty keyboard and open up the programming. Or as you say, hopefully Casio will release a better classpad with a new spiffy screen. I hope you're right that they will likely do this. And soon.

#51 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

It's a fine time to get interested in the TI CX. If it floats your boat, buy it, try it and see how you like it. Tell us how it goes. If you don't like it you can always sell it online and get back 80% of your purchase price.

It's pretty obvious that TI has chosen to focus on the High School market because that's apparently more profitable for them. Which leaves everything else for Casio and HP. Anyone have a number for what percent of the market share 'everything else but high school' would be ? Just curious. For years, there have been rumors that HP would even get out of the calculator business completely. So I wonder what's going to happen when they are faced with the prospect of having to greatly improve the 50g. What a shame if the marketing people at HP decide to let the 50g wither on the vine. Hopefully not.

The calculator market must not be very profitable to begin with or we would see more frequent major hardware revisions ( when did the original classpad come out, 2003 ? ). Software updates aren't up to the frequency most of us would prefer either. Why is this if not for lack of profit ? Whatever the reason, it sucks. And to some degree, all of the big 3 suck in this same way. And while I hate the possibility, I think that the situation will get worse as cell phones, iPads and iPod touch like devices get even more prevalent and refined. Just like people settled for the lackluster quality of their music formats ( MP3 vs CD ) for the sake of it being convenient on the device they already happened to own, this may happen to the calculator market with people settling for a CAS Graphing calculator on their cell phone, iPad ( whatever ) even though the device doesn't have dedicated keys to do common functions ( trig, reciprocal, etc... ). The cell phone probably isn't allowed in classes or standardized tests, but is the Classpad with its touch screen ? I'm asking because I really don't know for sure but I've heard touch screens are not allowed for whatever reason - and I can't think of a good reason.

Anyway, I hope the future is not as gloomy as I've painted it. And this might be directed at a different poster who mentioned American Companies and gullable American consumers. But my point is all the companies, whether in the U.S. or Europe, are after the same thing are they not ? If Casio or HP had the opportunity to be in TI's shoes right now would they turn that down ? And I assume where TI is must be the most profitable place otherwise why do it ? I'm not saying it's right or the best for the customer but isn't that the way it is ?

It would be very cool if TI would branch the hardware and create a new model of the Nspire that was targeted toward engineers. For that particular model they could throw away their goal of making the calc acceptable in standardized tests. Maybe add dedicated trig keys and a querty keyboard and open up the programming. Or as you say, hopefully Casio will release a better classpad with a new spiffy screen. I hope you're right that they will likely do this. And soon.

"It's a fine time to get interested in the TI CX? If you don't like it you can always sell it online and get back 80% of your purchase price?" I disagree. My experience has been that what something has been touted to be worth and what you can actually get are two quite different things. Just ask the people that are trying to sell their house. Also, don't forget the commissions paid to online auctions, and the shipping, and the risk of a check bouncing. I think it is better to wait and buy the best device after Casio and Hp have responded to the cx introduction with their devices. In a situation like this most certainly haste can be a very expensive mistake.

I have seen estimates of the K-12 vs the rest of the market being a 60/40 split. The key thing however that apparently people including senior management at TI seem to ignore, is the special situation of TI already owning the high school market. By focusing all their attention on a market that they already own, they have wasted a huge amount of their resourses in addition to alienating the non K-12 customers that they used to have. From my experience, I'd guess that some marketing and sales managers at TI sold the idea of focusing on the K-12 market in order to make their job a slam dunk. Good move for them. Bad move for TI.

Actually cas calculators are banned from standardized high school tests so it doesn't matter that the Classpad has a touch screen. When Casio comes out with a color screen version of the Classpad I doubt that it will be a touch screen but if it is it won't really matter. It will just be a compliment to the Prizm. It might even be called the Prizm II for example.

"But my point is all the companies, whether in the U.S. or Europe, are after the same thing are they not?" Very definitely not true. The Japanese culture is very different from that of the U.S. and they take a longer term view of business and are in less of a hurry. They want to dominate the market and they assume and rightfully so that the company with the best product and lowest price will eventually end up doing just that. U.S. companies on the other hand spend a huge amount of money on sales and promotion to cover up their poorly designed products while japanese companies design better products that speak for themselves. That is the way it went in the U.S. auto market and it is shaping up that way in the calculator market. American executives want to make a quick buck and leave. Japanese executives tend to be more responsible and I think it is part of their culture to stay with their jobs longer. I also think the best way to describe it is that American companies work hard at producing the illusion of a good product while Japanese companies work hard at actually producing a good product. I'm sure that there are some exceptions but that is the general gist of things. Just take the difference between the nspire and Prizm keyboards as an example. The prizm has a quality keyboard with large buttons that fit nicely with little wasted space between the keys. Compare that to the nspires tiny round buttons that seem to be a hastily and poorly designed layout. It looks cheap. Then notice how professionally done the product pitch is on the TI web site. Sure looks like Casio works hard at designing a better product while TI works hard at providing the illusion of a better product doesn't it.

"If Casio or HP had the opportunity to be in TI's shoes right now would they turn that down?" Yes, I think they would. TI has spent a lot of money on the nspire and nspire cas design and the subsequent redesign of a truly aweful keyboard, and the redesign after that for the scratch pad, and the redesign replacing the click pad, and the redesign after that for the color screen, and they still have a product that lacks the math functions of the decades older Hp and Casio products. Despite the TI spin about it being an educational product, first and formost it is a calcuator and because of the missing math functions that the Hp and Casio calcs have had for decades the recently designed and redesigned TI nspire is certainly not the most powerful calculator. With all the money TI has spent on promo and redesign I really wonder if they have made any money from their nspire business.

"And I assume where TI is must be the most profitable place otherwise why do it?" Large corporations make very bad decisions all the time. In my view, TI has constantly made bad decisions or all the redesigns would not be necessary and yes, you are certainly right "that is the way it is." As for Hp and Casio releasing new products that have a spiffy new color screen, think about that. Can they stay in the calculator business and not do that? I don't think so.

#52 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

"Also missing is...Eigen value and Eigen vector capability...." My basic nspire has these functions.

"College teachers and students along with professionals on the other hand, need a cas calculator, so compare the Casio cas, Hp cas, and TI cas calculators and let me put that into historical perspective for you." Actually any stylus driven device is not allowed on the SAT,PSAT,ACT,AP exams, so the classpad it is not even intended for students. Thus it's not even comparable to the hp and ti cas calcs. For those who can use a classpad computer software probably would suite them better.

"no doubt Casio will soon release a color screen version of the Classpad and that will be awesome because by virture of having Laplace and Fourier transforms, the Classpads already have math superiority over the nspire cas cx." I have seen nowhere that casio was going to release a color classpad.

"Often you want a closer look at a portion of a 3d plot so you zoom in. If the area you are interested in gos off screen when you zoom in, you need to shift that area back onto the screen but TI-cares has indicated that you cannot do that with the new CX 3d graphing capability. Such a crippled 3d graphing capability is very disappointing." As you yourself said, Ti said all specs are subject to change, so it may be included in the final release. And even if it isn't can't you just zoom in on the sport you want to see and not have to pan over

"Actually cas calculators are banned from standardized high school tests so it doesn't matter that the Classpad has a touch screen." The classpad isn't even allowed on SAt,PSAT, and AP whereas hp and ti are.

"When Casio comes out with a color screen version of the Classpad I doubt that it will be a touch screen but if it is it won't really matter. It will just be a compliment to the Prizm. It might even be called the Prizm II for example." Where have you seen that there will be a color classpad?

"TI has spent a lot of money on the nspire and nspire cas design and the subsequent redesign of a truly aweful keyboard, and the redesign after that for the scratch pad, and the redesign replacing the click pad, and the redesign after that for the color screen, and they still have a product that lacks the math functions of the decades older Hp and Casio products." I have had first hand expirience for two years with the nspire and I can tell you definitively that a already good product was made better.

As I have already said much of what is posted against the nspire is not fact but misinformation or people's own opinions. They may have good reason to dislike the nspire but I haven't heard one yet.

#53 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:28 AM

"Also missing is...Eigen value and Eigen vector capability.... My basic nspire has these functions."
That functionality is available on the TI-89 so it would be on the nspire cas. Is that what you are talking about? Perhaps I don't understand you correctly when you say "basic nspire." Is that the kiddie version that only does numerical calculations and graphing? And how about the other capabilities that were mentioned? Does your calculator do those things also. The context you referenced was a recollection of a list of capabilities that advanced users wanted and wasn't meant to refer to your calculator.

"Actually any stylus driven device is not allowed on the SAT,PSAT,ACT,AP exams, so the classpad is not even intended for students." That is incorrect. It is correct that the classpad is not not intended for use on the standardized high school exams but college students are students also, and the SAT,PSAT,ACT,AP exams are not intended for college students.

"Thus it's not even comparable to the hp and ti cas calcs." Huh? Actually it is a cas calculator and as such most definitely should be compared to other cas calcs and it is mathematically more powerful than any of the TI cas calcs.

"For those who can use a classpad computer software probably would suite them better." Actually computer software would probably suite everyone better than useing a calculator but in the cases where portability is important calculators are often a better choice.

"I have seen nowhere that casio was going to release a color classpad." That is because it hasn't been announced yet.

"As you yourself said, Ti said all specs are subject to change, so it may be included in the final release." Not likely. I'll believe it when I see it.

"And even if it isn't can't you just zoom in on the sport you want to see and not have to pan over." No.

"I have had first hand expirience for two years with the nspire and I can tell you definitively that a already good product was made better." That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Many people including myself see it quite differently. Nspire cas still lacks math capability that has been on competiting calculators for nearly two decades. That makes nspire cas a second rate product.

"As I have already said much of what is posted against the nspire is not fact but misinformation or people's own opinions. They may have good reason to dislike the nspire but I haven't heard one yet." So let me give you one. It's a product made by a company that has refused for years to produce a calculator that has all the math features that competiting calculators have. That by definition makes it a second rate product and being a second rate product is reason enough to not like (prefer) the nspire cas. As for the non-cas version, you have already been given reasons why the Prizm is the better buy.

You have expressed your opinion and you are certainly entitled to do that. You don't have the best calculator math capability available but what you have probably meets your immediate needs so you defend it and that is understandable. The world and everything in it is usually in a state of change and those rates of change are best be described by differential equations. If you progress in math to the point where you have an interest in differential equations, you will need a better calculator. You can upgrade then and spend your money on yet another calculator.

#54 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:38 AM

I'm in a hurry so I'm answering only your first question. The non cas ti nspire has Eigen value and Eigen vector capability

#55 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

I'm in a hurry so I'm answering only your first question. The non cas ti nspire has Eigen value and Eigen vector capability

What do you use your calculator for?

#56 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:31 AM

What do you use your calculator for?

Statistics, trigonometry,physics, exploring, picture viewing, notes, drawing, etc: things I would never be able to do with any other calculator but a prizm or another nspire. By the way did you see that a hacker has found a way to bypass the RSA factoring keys of the nspire to possibly install the cas os on non cas and vice versa? B)

Quote guest" As for the non-cas version, you have already been given reasons why the Prizm is the better buy." Yes I do think the prizm is a better buy than the non cas nspire with os 2.1 grayscale. But with os 3.0 and the cx I'm not so sure. Also if testing isn't a problem you can always pick up a cas nspire for just 3 extra dollars.

But what I'm really saying is that I don't think the classpad is better than the cas nspire for students since it isn't allowed on any test, whereas a regular cas calculator can sitll be used on AP SAt PSat exams. And I don't think the 50g is as good for students (I have used a 48g) because of how hard it is to use. But both the classpad and the 50g seem better for developers and programmers and engineers. Nspire is a student's device.

#57 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:07 AM

Statistics, trigonometry,physics, exploring, picture viewing, notes, drawing, etc: things I would never be able to do with any other calculator but a prizm or another nspire. By the way did you see that a hacker has found a way to bypass the RSA factoring keys of the nspire to possibly install the cas os on non cas and vice versa? B)

Quote guest" As for the non-cas version, you have already been given reasons why the Prizm is the better buy." Yes I do think the prizm is a better buy than the non cas nspire with os 2.1 grayscale. But with os 3.0 and the cx I'm not so sure. Also if testing isn't a problem you can always pick up a cas nspire for just 3 extra dollars.

But what I'm really saying is that I don't think the classpad is better than the cas nspire for students since it isn't allowed on any test, whereas a regular cas calculator can sitll be used on AP SAt PSat exams. And I don't think the 50g is as good for students (I have used a 48g) because of how hard it is to use. But both the classpad and the 50g seem better for developers and programmers and engineers. Nspire is a student's device.

Yes, I was stunned that anyone would post that. In some way that I have never understood, when you buy a device with the TI os in it, it is in some way not yours to do with as you see fit even though you bought and own it, and TI can in some way that I don't understand take legal actions to stop that activity I have heard, which I suppose could allow cheating on tests and possibly cause TI to lose their qualification for tests for those calc's. I am not a lawyer, that is just my understanding, and I hope I am wrong about that but if those posts die out that is probably the reason.

"Yes I do think the Prizm is a better buy than the non cas nspire with os 2.1 grayscale. But with os 3.0 and the cx I'm not so sure." Yes, I suppose that the cx color screen would make it as appealing as the Prizm but TI still has to reduce the price to make it as cost effective as the Prizm.

The thing I am really interested in is how Casio and Hp will compete with the cx cas version. What I mean is that with the cx and cx cas only being a few dollars apart in price, TI is promoting the use of cas calculators. In addition, without a color screen, the Casio Classpad and the Hp 50g will be non-competitive against the npsire cx cas. HP is a wild card and hard to figure out so they may simply drop out of the business, but with the Prizm and it's color screen, Casio is serious about challenging TI so I have no doubt that they will put out a color screen version of the Classpad to compete with the TI cx cas. Also, the Prizm was qualified for tests before it was available so I expect the same thing to occur for the color screen version of the Classpad. The questions are will Casio upgrade their 3d graphing capability by allowing more than one surface to be graphed and will they provide any addtional math capability? At the same time will TI have any battery life problems with its cx's and will their new 3d graphing capability be stable? Obviously we have to wait and see. Another consideration is that TI is very determined to not allow games on their devices so it would be in Casios best interests to allow them. Either way I think Casio will counter TI's courting of high school teachers with a program of their own and if TI sticks to their all or nothing approach of only providing imporvements for teachers, over the next couple of years Casio can gain a great deal of the total market and bloody TI's nose so to speak.

I sincerely believe that TI is at a disadvantage in competiting with Casio because of the cultural differences. TI has this habit of cutting corners and producing what I would call a minimally working product and then spinning the heck out of it. Casio on the other hand takes the time to engineer a truly superior product. As mentioned above, when I take a look at the cheap ass tiny alpha buttons on the nspire in Walmart, and then I look at the keyboard on the Prizm, I just don't want to buy the TI product. It looks cheap and makes me wonder what other corners TI cut with tha product. The thought of a bright color screen and 3d graphing is very tempting but when I remind myself that TI didn't do the 3d graphing job properly by providing shift (Pan) capability, I worry that there are other things that I am not aware of, where TI cut corners and didn't do the job properly. Then when I look as those tiny cheap ass buttons on an nspire, I get totally turned off and think to myself - ugh, I definitely don't want that POS. Other people may see things differently but then again maybe not. I just don't trust TI to sell me a product that I will be happy with. Another thing is the missing functions that Casio and Hp have that TI in their cheapness refuse to impliment on their calculators. For me it is a constant reminder that TI cuts corners and doesn't do the job right. Again, I wonder what other problems are lurking in their designs that I don't know about.

As for nspire being a students device, I think that is only because of the teachers using it in classes. If Casio goes after the U.S. high school market and a bunch of teachers start using the Prizm, then people will think of the Prizm as a students device also. BTW, I wonder how the teachers who bought the initial nspire with that horrible keyboard, or the click pad device, or the gray scale screens, over the past few years feel about their purchase? If it was me, I'd be kicking myself for buying that junk when I could have waited a while and got a much better product. I don't want a calculator where the maker cuts corners only to fix things later with another new design that I have to buy. I want a really good math device that I can be happy with for a long time, so I will wait patiently to see what Casio and Hp do. They have to do something and I would say that based on past experience, Casio won't rush things but what they finally do will be done right (Unlike TI's approach of rushing out a poor design and fixing it later with another model).

#58 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:34 AM

Yes, I was stunned that anyone would post that. In some way that I have never understood, when you buy a device with the TI os in it, it is in some way not yours to do with as you see fit even though you bought and own it, and TI can in some way that I don't understand take legal actions to stop that activity I have heard, which I suppose could allow cheating on tests and possibly cause TI to lose their qualification for tests for those calc's. I am not a lawyer, that is just my understanding, and I hope I am wrong about that but if those posts die out that is probably the reason.

"Yes I do think the Prizm is a better buy than the non cas nspire with os 2.1 grayscale. But with os 3.0 and the cx I'm not so sure." Yes, I suppose that the cx color screen would make it as appealing as the Prizm but TI still has to reduce the price to make it as cost effective as the Prizm.

The thing I am really interested in is how Casio and Hp will compete with the cx cas version. What I mean is that with the cx and cx cas only being a few dollars apart in price, TI is promoting the use of cas calculators. In addition, without a color screen, the Casio Classpad and the Hp 50g will be non-competitive against the npsire cx cas. HP is a wild card and hard to figure out so they may simply drop out of the business, but with the Prizm and it's color screen, Casio is serious about challenging TI so I have no doubt that they will put out a color screen version of the Classpad to compete with the TI cx cas. Also, the Prizm was qualified for tests before it was available so I expect the same thing to occur for the color screen version of the Classpad. The questions are will Casio upgrade their 3d graphing capability by allowing more than one surface to be graphed and will they provide any addtional math capability? At the same time will TI have any battery life problems with its cx's and will their new 3d graphing capability be stable? Obviously we have to wait and see. Another consideration is that TI is very determined to not allow games on their devices so it would be in Casios best interests to allow them. Either way I think Casio will counter TI's courting of high school teachers with a program of their own and if TI sticks to their all or nothing approach of only providing imporvements for teachers, over the next couple of years Casio can gain a great deal of the total market and bloody TI's nose so to speak.

I sincerely believe that TI is at a disadvantage in competiting with Casio because of the cultural differences. TI has this habit of cutting corners and producing what I would call a minimally working product and then spinning the heck out of it. Casio on the other hand takes the time to engineer a truly superior product. As mentioned above, when I take a look at the cheap ass tiny alpha buttons on the nspire in Walmart, and then I look at the keyboard on the Prizm, I just don't want to buy the TI product. It looks cheap and makes me wonder what other corners TI cut with tha product. The thought of a bright color screen and 3d graphing is very tempting but when I remind myself that TI didn't do the 3d graphing job properly by providing shift (Pan) capability, I worry that there are other things that I am not aware of, where TI cut corners and didn't do the job properly. Then when I look as those tiny cheap ass buttons on an nspire, I get totally turned off and think to myself - ugh, I definitely don't want that POS. Other people may see things differently but then again maybe not. I just don't trust TI to sell me a product that I will be happy with. Another thing is the missing functions that Casio and Hp have that TI in their cheapness refuse to impliment on their calculators. For me it is a constant reminder that TI cuts corners and doesn't do the job right. Again, I wonder what other problems are lurking in their designs that I don't know about.

As for nspire being a students device, I think that is only because of the teachers using it in classes. If Casio goes after the U.S. high school market and a bunch of teachers start using the Prizm, then people will think of the Prizm as a students device also. BTW, I wonder how the teachers who bought the initial nspire with that horrible keyboard, or the click pad device, or the gray scale screens, over the past few years feel about their purchase? If it was me, I'd be kicking myself for buying that junk when I could have waited a while and got a much better product. I don't want a calculator where the maker cuts corners only to fix things later with another new design that I have to buy. I want a really good math device that I can be happy with for a long time, so I will wait patiently to see what Casio and Hp do. They have to do something and I would say that based on past experience, Casio won't rush things but what they finally do will be done right (Unlike TI's approach of rushing out a poor design and fixing it later with another model).

Good post. I know what you mean. It like go to order cx and find they charge $5.00 extra for the cover. Its just a piece of plastic and cannot cost TI more than twenty five cents. That tactic of course is to make the price of the calculator seem low and then cheat you on the price of the cover! Who wants calculator without cover? Not me. Thats blatent attempt to manipulate the customers thinking. When I heard about that I thought what else are they pulling that I don't know about? I cancelled my order. Thats kind of trickery you would expect from seasoned criminal. I think that TI needs to give its employees morality training becasue they have really evil people who thinking up ways to screw the customer and cannot be trusted for business. Another thing is TI touts ability to store notes on the nspire, i.e., it has word processor capability but where is spell check?!!! They don't tell you that there is none. For people such as myself that very important. I hope Casio hurry up and produce color screen Classpad. I need calculator and don't want do business with TI. Me not trust them big time!

#59 Guest_Jason_*

Guest_Jason_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

Good post. I know what you mean. It like go to order cx and find they charge $5.00 extra for the cover. Its just a piece of plastic and cannot cost TI more than twenty five cents. That tactic of course is to make the price of the calculator seem low and then cheat you on the price of the cover! Who wants calculator without cover? Not me. Thats blatent attempt to manipulate the customers thinking. When I heard about that I thought what else are they pulling that I don't know about? I cancelled my order. Thats kind of trickery you would expect from seasoned criminal. I think that TI needs to give its employees morality training becasue they have really evil people who thinking up ways to screw the customer and cannot be trusted for business. Another thing is TI touts ability to store notes on the nspire, i.e., it has word processor capability but where is spell check?!!! They don't tell you that there is none. For people such as myself that very important. I hope Casio hurry up and produce color screen Classpad. I need calculator and don't want do business with TI. Me not trust them big time!

Question: Is TI going to let teachers trade in their obsolete nspire calculators for the new cx models? If not, why not? The teachers bought those obsolete models just months ago and TI knew that they were going to obsolete those models. TI covets their relationship with teachers so I will be shocked if they don't let teachers trade in their old models for new ones. Can anyone answer what TI intends to do about that problem?

#60 donf

donf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:calcs; math; physics; science generally; biking;

• Calculators:
    Calsspad 300 & 330, fxcg10, hp50g, ti-nspire and cas,
    fx-9750g+, fx-9750ga+, ti-89t, fx-400

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:07 AM

I think one of the above posts was right on. With calculators you can download to IPOD and IPAD and Cell phones the desire to create new calculators has dimished. I have downloaded some of my old favorite HP
calcs to put on my IPOD. The cost was $8.00. Has all the functionality of the original. I also makes one less device to carry around.

Just a thought

Don

#61 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

OS 3.0 is to be released tomorrow, April 7 B) ! http://groups.google...5bc566a8c8cd46#

#62 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

OS 3.0 is to be released tomorrow, April 7 B) ! http://groups.google...5bc566a8c8cd46#

Are you sure?? As far as I can tell it didn't happen. Perhaps ti is having some trouble with it?

#63 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

Are you sure?? As far as I can tell it didn't happen. Perhaps ti is having some trouble with it?

Yep its here!!!! B)

#64 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:46 AM

Yep its here!!!! B)

I just finished reading a bunch of posts at the google teachers nspire site. Seems that a lot of them are having a problem upgrading and are not happy. I wonder it the poor babies will be able to teach math tommorrow without their electronic toys working properly. Ha-ha-ha, LOL.

Those spoiled cry baby teachers should have learned a lesson from the last major upgrade. You can't expect a company that is known for introducing stuff and fixing it later to do the job right from the get go but I'm sure they will cover up things nicely with spin. Ha, ha, ha, LOL Any body can talk a good story but can ti actually produce good results? We shall see and right now day one doesn't look to good.

#65 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:47 AM

Yeah, it's here. Seems like they blocked downgrading, Ndless and Nleash without even adding anything to TI-BASIC... And the 84+ emu (for the regular Nspire) was updated to 2.57MP (2.56MP).

#66 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, it's here. Seems like they blocked downgrading, Ndless and Nleash without even adding anything to TI-BASIC... And the 84+ emu (for the regular Nspire) was updated to 2.57MP (2.56MP).

In response to their blocking downgrading, Ndless and Nleash I blocked wallet from opening. There won't be any download of my cash to TI. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :nonono: :greengrin: :greengrin: :greengrin:

#67 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:08 AM

Yeh Ti did take new measures against ndless and removed the old os :banghead: off their site but in less than a day a way was found to circumvent the downgrade protections B) . But if you have no concern for ndless I'd say update now. The new os is much better than previous os. Some people seem t o have had some trouble upgrading but mine went flawlessly even while getting around ti's downgrade protection. Here is a list of things I like better about the new os.

First of all os 2.1 left about 13 MB of 27.8 Mb free to use. os 3.0 leaves about 18 mb free space.

I guess this more free space and an overclock from 90 mhz to 120 mhz makes the already almost instant calculations and graphing even faster.Key inputs are also faster. Programs run faster also. Load time seems to be decreased a little.

There are some undocumented feature included in the new os. Euler, interpolate, and Rk23 are just a few of the new functions.

3d graphing is 100 times better than the ti 89. I have never done 3d graphing on a calculator for real work so i'm not sure this is for good or bad but you can never zoom in so that the graph goes off the screen, thus eliminating the need for pan and shift. But rotation is smooth and when plotting mutiple surfaces each gragh remains easily distinguishable. You can change the color of the graphs and the axes. As of now you can only plot 3d functions, but TI seems to be going to implement polar and any others later by the fact that there is a "graph type" menu.

And for those who want to know there are a few new programming functions but nothing interesting. "errcodes", "passerr","warncodes" have been added.

Differential equations is also added. I don't know much about diff equations, so I can't say to much but it is much better than the ti 89.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll post more later as I explore more. Prizm can you beat the nspire and give the market to Casio? Uh I'm not so sure Prizm rules anymore, even against gray screen nspires. :unsure:

#68 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:04 AM

There are some undocumented feature included in the new os. Euler, interpolate, and Rk23 are just a few of the new functions.

Good post.

What do you mean by Euler? He was a great mathematician. Perhaps you mean the Euler method for approximating diffenential equation solutions? Also, what does Rk23 stand for?

When you zoom in on a 3d plotted surface, of course the entire surface won't go off the screen, but portions of the surface that were near the edge of the screen will go off the screen because by zooming you are expanding the surface that was in the window and you need shift/pan to bring those areas back on screen if you want a close up look at them.

Yes, the ball is in Casio's court now. Since they introduced the Prizm just a couple of months ago, I don't expect them to respond immediately but when they do, I it will likely be worth waiting for, so I'll wait six months or so for an announcement. There is still one thing that I absolutely hate about the nspire. It's the keyboard. Those tiny closely spaced buttons, and the buttons that are dual purpose, just don't work well for people with large fingers. TI should go back to the 84/89 keyboard style it was superior to the cheap ass tiny buttons that they use now.

From what I read, the developer community has started to switch to the Prizm and by TI's 3.0 attempts to defeat ndless and downloading again, they are not doing themselves any good. I think the prizm will be preferred by many people when the games start coming out for the Prizm.

#69 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

Good post.

What do you mean by Euler? He was a great mathematician. Perhaps you mean the Euler method for approximating diffenential equation solutions? Also, what does Rk23 stand for?

When you zoom in on a 3d plotted surface, of course the entire surface won't go off the screen, but portions of the surface that were near the edge of the screen will go off the screen because by zooming you are expanding the surface that was in the window and you need shift/pan to bring those areas back on screen if you want a close up look at them.

Yes, the ball is in Casio's court now. Since they introduced the Prizm just a couple of months ago, I don't expect them to respond immediately but when they do, I it will likely be worth waiting for, so I'll wait six months or so for an announcement. There is still one thing that I absolutely hate about the nspire. It's the keyboard. Those tiny closely spaced buttons, and the buttons that are dual purpose, just don't work well for people with large fingers. TI should go back to the 84/89 keyboard style it was superior to the cheap ass tiny buttons that they use now.

From what I read, the developer community has started to switch to the Prizm and by TI's 3.0 attempts to defeat ndless and downloading again, they are not doing themselves any good. I think the prizm will be preferred by many people when the games start coming out for the Prizm.

Lack of shift for 3d graphing is a very big deal because it cripples the zoom capability. This was discussed a bit on the google nspire site but they didn't seem to understand it. Perhaps they will, now that they have some 3d graphing capability to play with.

#70 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Lack of shift for 3d graphing is a very big deal because it cripples the zoom capability. This was discussed a bit on the google nspire site but they didn't seem to understand it. Perhaps they will, now that they have some 3d graphing capability to play with.

This post should probably be made at the Google nspire site but the likelihood that the dictator/moderator there will allow it is very low so I am posting it here. Perhaps someone can try to post a link there to this message.

Having just read the posts on the Google nspire site, I see where people are still having trouble upgrading to 3.0. In addition, I have installed and upgraded quite a bit of software recently and all of that effort went smoothly so I have to ask why can't TI offer the same quality upgrade service? Also, I seem to remember a lot of problems occurring when the last major OS upgrade occurred for the npsire. Yes, ti will probably get things worked out but why didn't they do the job right in the first place? Is it just me or do others see a disturbing pattern of "throw it out there, see if it works, and fix it later." None of this gives me confidence that the soon to be available CX models will work properly so I think I'll pass on the CX for now.

P.S. I have to wonder how many of the teachers at the google site would honestly say that the n-spire and navagator hardware with its associated software is really worth the time it takes to deal with it considering that you won't have it very long before another hardware model or OS update obsoletes what you have. Sure there are die hard techies who like playing with their toys but does the average teacher want to deal with similiar problems year after year for the rest of their life? I would think not. I certainly wouldn't want to.

#71 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:26 PM

This post should probably be made at the Google nspire site but the likelihood that the dictator/moderator there will allow it is very low so I am posting it here. Perhaps someone can try to post a link there to this message.

Having just read the posts on the Google nspire site, I see where people are still having trouble upgrading to 3.0. In addition, I have installed and upgraded quite a bit of software recently and all of that effort went smoothly so I have to ask why can't TI offer the same quality upgrade service? Also, I seem to remember a lot of problems occurring when the last major OS upgrade occurred for the npsire. Yes, ti will probably get things worked out but why didn't they do the job right in the first place? Is it just me or do others see a disturbing pattern of "throw it out there, see if it works, and fix it later." None of this gives me confidence that the soon to be available CX models will work properly so I think I'll pass on the CX for now.

P.S. I have to wonder how many of the teachers at the google site would honestly say that the n-spire and navagator hardware with its associated software is really worth the time it takes to deal with it considering that you won't have it very long before another hardware model or OS update obsoletes what you have. Sure there are die hard techies who like playing with their toys but does the average teacher want to deal with similiar problems year after year for the rest of their life? I would think not. I certainly wouldn't want to.

It's now April 11 and I notice that the google nspire group people are still reporting problems upgrading for 3.0. Is this a first rate example of TI incompetence or what? Maybe TI just doesn't have the skilled manpower to do the job? Or maybe it's like a previous poster indicated, ie., the way things are done a TI is to throw it out there, see if it works and fix it later.

#72 Guest_apparently_*

Guest_apparently_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

It's now April 11 and I notice that the google nspire group people are still reporting problems upgrading for 3.0. Is this a first rate example of TI incompetence or what? Maybe TI just doesn't have the skilled manpower to do the job? Or maybe it's like a previous poster indicated, ie., the way things are done a TI is to throw it out there, see if it works and fix it later.

Apparently that is just the way they do things at ti. This is similiar to the fiasco that occurred in the update to 2.0 a couple of years ago. If you cannot trust them to to things in a quality way, you just cannot trust them to do things in a quailty way. All the more reason to not buy ti products. :roflol:

#73 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

Upgrading the OS on a TI calculator has been tricky for a very long time. It's not dependent on just the new OS - it depends on unchangeable code in the calculator and the retardedness of TI's computer software.

#74 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Upgrading the OS on a TI calculator has been tricky for a very long time. It's not dependent on just the new OS - it depends on unchangeable code in the calculator and the retardedness of TI's computer software.

If they could get their ego out of the way, ti could learn a lot by talking to customers, especially people such as yourself. Have they contacted you for any advice on fixing the retardedness of their computer software? Wait, let me guess, the answer is no, right? If anyone at ti is listening, you need to recognize that it is past time for you to raise the competence level of your organization and the way to raise the average competence level is to get rid of the bottom half. Are you listening Melendy?

#75 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

If they could get their ego out of the way, ti could learn a lot by talking to customers, especially people such as yourself. Have they contacted you for any advice on fixing the retardedness of their computer software? Wait, let me guess, the answer is no, right? If anyone at ti is listening, you need to recognize that it is past time for you to raise the competence level of your organization and the way to raise the average competence level is to get rid of the bottom half. Are you listening Melendy?

People are still posting difficulties upgrading. BTW, who is Melendy?

#76 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Also, the 3.0 version apparently has bugs that the previous 2.1 version didn't have. Go to:

http://groups.google...a1c931bcf52b7cc

and read about it. Isn't that just wonderful! And ti is going to fix it with the next upgrade? And what problems will that change cause? And what other problems are in that OS version? AND IS ti GOING TO USE THAT OS VERSION WITH THAT KNOWN PERFORMANCE FLAW IN THE NEW CX'S??? :nonono:

#77 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

With os 3.0 it seems that ti has added a new secret(secret as of now) programming language to the nspire B) . A periodic table for os 3.0 is capable of doing things the basic programming on the nspire just can't do. Here is are two quotes from omnimaga.org
"Earlier today, Texas Instruments introduced a seemingly innocent Periodic Table TNS Document for the Nspire.
http://www.techpower...iodic-table.jpg
At first usage of the "Periodic Table" page of this document, it is clear that it certainly could not be created with any of the existing Applications for the TI-Nspire. After more investigations by members of TI-BANK it has become evident that TI used a new, mysterious application, "TI.ScriptApp", to develop this Periodic Table. Furthermore, more searching into this tns file has shown that this language very well may be Lua.

Sadly, Texas Instruments has released no indication of allowing public users of the Nspire to develop using the "ScriptApp" application. It is probably safe to assume that special SDK software is needed for easy development of these documents. Nevertheless, having the ability to program in Lua on the Nspire offers many possibilities for Nspire developers. Although it might be difficult to make an emulator in Lua, games such as simple Card Games (solitaire) and puzzle games (Block Dude) might be easily developed in this language!"

"Although ARM9 assembly and C language files are still not possible on them, the new TI-Nspire OS'es definitively have support for an extra programming language with more possibilities than the crippled TI-Nspire BASIC. As reported in our previous news, it seemed that OS 3.0 also included Lua interpreted language or a similar form of it. Now Goplat has made the following Wacky Fun Ran... er... I mean 15 Puzzle clone:
http://www.omnimaga....tach=7309;image
A better quality preview of it is also available in AVI format. The game can be downloaded here.

Although this is not Crysis nor nDoom, once Goplat or somebody else will make it possible for other people to develop documents written in this language, it will be possible for them to develop TI-Nspire OS 3.0 games written in Lua, featuring support for interactive key input like we have on Z80 and 68K TI-BASIC languages and as you can see, it doesn't seem very slow like the display commands on the Casio Prizm OS."

You can go to http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?www to see these post for yourself. Nspire os 3.0 not so bad after all is it not?

#78 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

With os 3.0 it seems that ti has added a new secret(secret as of now) programming language to the nspire B) . A periodic table for os 3.0 is capable of doing things the basic programming on the nspire just can't do. Here is are two quotes from omnimaga.org
"Earlier today, Texas Instruments introduced a seemingly innocent Periodic Table TNS Document for the Nspire.
http://www.techpower...iodic-table.jpg
At first usage of the "Periodic Table" page of this document, it is clear that it certainly could not be created with any of the existing Applications for the TI-Nspire. After more investigations by members of TI-BANK it has become evident that TI used a new, mysterious application, "TI.ScriptApp", to develop this Periodic Table. Furthermore, more searching into this tns file has shown that this language very well may be Lua.

Sadly, Texas Instruments has released no indication of allowing public users of the Nspire to develop using the "ScriptApp" application. It is probably safe to assume that special SDK software is needed for easy development of these documents. Nevertheless, having the ability to program in Lua on the Nspire offers many possibilities for Nspire developers. Although it might be difficult to make an emulator in Lua, games such as simple Card Games (solitaire) and puzzle games (Block Dude) might be easily developed in this language!"

"Although ARM9 assembly and C language files are still not possible on them, the new TI-Nspire OS'es definitively have support for an extra programming language with more possibilities than the crippled TI-Nspire BASIC. As reported in our previous news, it seemed that OS 3.0 also included Lua interpreted language or a similar form of it. Now Goplat has made the following Wacky Fun Ran... er... I mean 15 Puzzle clone:
http://www.omnimaga....tach=7309;image
A better quality preview of it is also available in AVI format. The game can be downloaded here.

Although this is not Crysis nor nDoom, once Goplat or somebody else will make it possible for other people to develop documents written in this language, it will be possible for them to develop TI-Nspire OS 3.0 games written in Lua, featuring support for interactive key input like we have on Z80 and 68K TI-BASIC languages and as you can see, it doesn't seem very slow like the display commands on the Casio Prizm OS."

You can go to http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?www to see these post for yourself. Nspire os 3.0 not so bad after all is it not?

It's a calculator right? Then the calculator functions like deSolve should work properly! Programing games is nice and I like that but first and formost the calcluator functions must work right. If all I want is games I would buy the 84. :nonono:

#79 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

It's a calculator right? Then the calculator functions like deSolve should work properly! Programing games is nice and I like that but first and formost the calcluator functions must work right. If all I want is games I would buy the 84. :nonono:

How right you are! Sometimes new products have problems that need to be fixed and it is best to not buy products until the problems are fixed because sometimes they just don't get fixed. For the nspire cx specifically, many people have had trouble upgrading to the latest OS and that is even more reason for not buying the nspire or nspire cx on the hope that ti will fix the problem with an update. Ti hypes their products to generate the desire to have them and they are quite successful in doing that but the disppointment of having bought a poor product lasts much longer than the hyped desire so it is best to wait and see if ti fixes the desolve problem and what other problems will emerge when the new nspire cx or nspire cx cas get tested by a few new users. In short, don't gamble your money on what could be a lemon.

#80 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

How right you are! Sometimes new products have problems that need to be fixed and it is best to not buy products until the problems are fixed because sometimes they just don't get fixed. For the nspire cx specifically, many people have had trouble upgrading to the latest OS and that is even more reason for not buying the nspire or nspire cx on the hope that ti will fix the problem with an update. Ti hypes their products to generate the desire to have them and they are quite successful in doing that but the disppointment of having bought a poor product lasts much longer than the hyped desire so it is best to wait and see if ti fixes the desolve problem and what other problems will emerge when the new nspire cx or nspire cx cas get tested by a few new users. In short, don't gamble your money on what could be a lemon.

Why is everyone talking about the OS update problems ? I can't even find more than a couple of recent posts ( google Nspire group ) about this. One, the girl tried a second time and it worked. The second, the TI website had technical difficulties and someone couldn't download the file at that time. There have to be more recent and critical problems regarding this for you guys to keep bringing it up. Right ? Plus, if you purchased a cx it would already have 3.0 on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users