#1 math.teacher

math.teacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9750G PLUS

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

I am trying to figure out this F button on my fx-9750-G PLUS calculator (my classroom supplies one for every student). I cannot seem to figure out why the button does not constantly work. I teach a math class and we have multiple calculators. Most of the time the F button does not work at all. Occasionally, it does work on one two calculators, but not on all of them. For example, if I type 369/2 into one of my calculators, the answer of 184.5 will convert into a fraction 184 1/2, but on one of my other identical calculators, it will not convert it to a fraction using the same methods. Again, most of the time none of my calculators will convert it. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this problem as I teach math class and would like to be able to have some consistancy in my calculators and use this function.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Martin

Martin

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:asm on cfx9850

• Calculators:
    fx82l
    fx7700GB
    cfx9850G
    TI92
    fx9860G SD
    Rheinmetall KEL IIc
    H. W. Ebmeyer - Tarema
    fx cg20

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

The [F-D] button only works for fraction, not for real numbers, so 2[/]3 gives you 0.666666 with no possible conversion, but 2[a/b/c]3 gives you 2/3 which is convertible to 0.66666666 and back.
On some calculator types there is some settings, which changes [F-D] button functionality, so the button doesn't convert fraction, but sends image of the screen to PC through serial line.

#3 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

On some calculator types there is some settings, which changes [F-D] button functionality, so the button doesn't convert fraction, but sends image of the screen to PC through serial line.

Is that a casio default thing or is there third-party software that does that? And what models are you referring to?

#4 Martin

Martin

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:asm on cfx9850

• Calculators:
    fx82l
    fx7700GB
    cfx9850G
    TI92
    fx9860G SD
    Rheinmetall KEL IIc
    H. W. Ebmeyer - Tarema
    fx cg20

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

Is that a casio default thing or is there third-party software that does that? And what models are you referring to?

It seems it is only on the cfx9850G calculator, so it is not relevant to the original question.

#5 math.teacher

math.teacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9750G PLUS

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thank you so much for that information! That makes sense and clears up the inconsistencies I was seeing. Is there a way to change the way a calculator displays an answer so that it defaults to a fraction instead of a decimal?

#6 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Is there a way to change the way a calculator displays an answer so that it defaults to a fraction instead of a decimal?

If you are in math mode, I think it is default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users