SSL (Let's Encrypt)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SopaXorzTaker

SopaXorzTaker

Casio Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and programming.

• Calculators:
    fx-991ES PLUS

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

I think we should start using Transport Layer Security by default if possible, since the certificates are free now thanks to letsencrypt.org and most servers support it.

What do you think, admins?

#2 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:56 AM

I agree but the current very old shared hosting on which this site is hosted doesn't allow this. Anyway my host is ceasing all operations in July (I learned this 2 week ago) so we will have to change of provider anyway. I may switch to a VPS, I don't know yet...  The switch will be painful in any case most of the PHP code is 15 years old... and this version of IPB is completely outdated, Maybe I should find someone with more time and motivation than me. I've been keeping this website on life support but I havent been involved with it for many years now...

#3 pier4r

pier4r

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

Would it be possible to have a dump of the posts in the forum? To save it from disappearing from history (something common in internet, although sadly not noticed).
For example this site would disappear in July.

We do something similar for Hp contributions, for example here: https://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/

A minimal idea, better than nothing since the maintainers (you) have no time, would be: pack a dump of the posts + site in a file shared somewhere, maybe p2p on torrent (I will gladly help), and then start a forum that requires less direct maintenance and can be handed over. Like a google newsgroup or the like.

So a user can get the old posts, that still may be useful, and discuss new ones.

If you need to contact me, the mail is pierqr <dot> aiello <at> yahoo <dot> it .

Edited by pier4r, 12 March 2018 - 09:43 PM.

#4 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Pier4r, I just saw your post, but I managed to transfer the forum to a VPS (the limit date was August 15th).

I've enabled https, I'm also redirecting hhtp to https automatically, .

#5 pier4r

pier4r

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

happy that you did! Still consider historical dumps every now and then :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users