#1 mTm

mTm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:07 PM

hello, i want to ask about fx9860G SD and AFX 2.0 plus

First sorry for my bad english
Im a beginner, and actually never used graphic calc before, just try it a few times with my friends calc, and im considering to buy one, because in the near future i will be needing it for matrix calculation (with fx9850 is enough), and finance and some other basic function that every graphic calc have.. and i want to buy either fx9860 or AFX 2.0 plus after i search in the store, i find the price of fx9860g SD is cheaper for aproximately $7(if i convert it to $), i live in indonesia, n apparently that all stores that i've gone to doesnt have FX9860G (without the SD) n the shop keeper said that only the SD version is available in indonesia(i dont know if its true or not),but i want to buy the 9860 without the SD, because its cheaper if i look it in the net..

Because of the little price margin, im confused what to buy
here is what i consider:
1. 9860 can't compute complex number in matrix, n i hear that in engineering it is used(but almost all my senior use 9850, so i think that i will not use it)
2. 9860 has faster cpu than AFX 2.0 (faster computation)
3. but AFX 2.0 have bigger memory(RAM) so it can compute bigger matrix
4. 9860 have larger flash memory and SD slot
5. 9860 have usb n nicer display & also natural input display
6. this is the biggest reason why its hard to decide whats to buy: AFX 2.0 has

the CAS, ALGEBRA, n TUTOR and 9860 doesnt have it (because 9860 is newer and why dont 9860 have the same function or the same big memory, why 64 kb???)

i just want to ask:
1. whats more worth to buy??

2. can anyone tell me something that can be done to both calculator, so i can compare for future worth (like what program available to improve my calculator), is there nice program

3. can AFX 2.0 play games? because i saw a lot of games for 9850, so i know that 9860 can play games, but i dont see it for AFX 2.0)

4. What is CAS, i read it at casio website that it can integrate, diff, etc. but with 9850 we can do it too..
i imagine that CAS can do like integrate 5X^2 + 3x + 1
and solve with CAS -> (5/3)x^3 + (3/2)x^2 + x + C
is the CAS program like that?? because with 9850 we can only get numerical answer not simbolic answer

5. if with CAS i can do this.. im considering to buy AFX 2.0, because i think
its cool to do that computation automatically but i read in the forum that actually fx9860 can become 512kb RAM, and actually we can add CAS program into fx9860. is it true?? if it is, definitely i will buy fx 9860

6. is the SD card really used? what can we store in the card? program? data?

sorry for the long question.. im in dillema now...
hahaha
thanx

#2 huhn_m

huhn_m

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1957 posts
  • Interests:Assembler(!!!)
    Computers and Programming
    Operating Systems
    Programmable Calculators
    Maths and everything arround it

• Calculators:
    FX-82SX / AFX 2.0+ (ROM 1.03) / FX 1.0+ (ROM 1.03)

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

It actually depends on what you need it for. Actually I would recommend the 9860 but you can not use "homebrew" software with this (yet). And it doesn't have CAS.

The question is: are you even allowed to use CAS at school? some schools do not allow the use of those calculators in exams and so it would be a waste of money to go for a AFX. Only the FX 1.0+ would be an option then.

As for the screen: As far as I know the AFX has the same display as the 9860 (not the same as 9850!!!)

There are definately more add-ins for AFX/FX series calculators since the 9860 is verry new and there is no possibility for the community (yet) to write add-ins for it. (though casio promised to release an sdk in some distant future)

AFX can play all CFX games. It even can play ASM/C games (that are verry fast and function rich unlike basic games wich are currently the only games that run on the 9860s!)

Yes, you desctibed the CAS function correctly. It can also compute things like
Integral of ax^4+3zx^4

It is quite unlikely that the 9860 will get CAS since noone in the community is knowledgeable enough to write one and the programs from the AFX can not be ported to the different architecture of the 9860 (x86 -> SH)

the SD card can store different data. It will be most usefull if we can write custom add ins and you want to install many of them.

#3 mTm

mTm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:13 AM

thanx for the reply
actually i want 9860 because of the big memory dan faster computation..
and i think in my university there is no restriction, only in some exam we cannot use calc at all
but if CAS is really have function like that.... i think its very good, because sometimes there is some equation like integral or differential that i cant solve because its too hard...

Can CAS solve all integral problem?? or only the simple?? what if the problem is hard/advanced ???

about the display.. i read in the casio website that it has sharper image and in the example with comparison of 9850, the graphic is very different, 9860 is so much better for drawing graphic. is the graphic of AFX 2.0 is like 9850 or 9860 ?? i think the size of the lcd is the same for all(CMIIW) but the screen resolution is bigger with 9860 so it can draw graphic more accurately

now im more confused... hehehe because i want calculator that can do CAS like AFX, but i want it to be newer(because AFX is older , i think the age is 4 or 5 year older, i read it in the forum) because 9860 is newer(better processor, display, USB, n maybe better ad-ins if casio release SDK because of bigger memory)

and also about the price, if i buy 9860, but with an extra $7 i can get AFX... its hard to choose.. n i cant buy both.. its to expensive..

LAST question, if i buy AFX, will i get 'PC to calc Cable'(i dont know what its name) ???? then i cant add ad-ins ????
because maybe in indonesia its hard to find that cable, n i hear its worth $50 dollar??? its very expensive, because AFX cost about $98 here

if i buy 9860, it will include usb cable that allows me to send data to my calc??

thanx

#4 caspro

caspro

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

The 9860 and Afx both have 128 x 64 pixels, but the 9860 pixels are slightly larger.

The Afx doesn't come with pc cable as standard.

The 9860 does come with USB cable.

No calculator can solve all integral problems.

If you want Symbolic Algebra, or be able to store complex numbers in matrices
then go for the Afx, otherwise the 9860.

#5 huhn_m

huhn_m

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1957 posts
  • Interests:Assembler(!!!)
    Computers and Programming
    Operating Systems
    Programmable Calculators
    Maths and everything arround it

• Calculators:
    FX-82SX / AFX 2.0+ (ROM 1.03) / FX 1.0+ (ROM 1.03)

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

You should never let the calc solve problems with CAS that you couldn't solve yourself since you can't verify the solution.

There are (some) known cases where CAS does not give you correct solutions (mainly dealing with infinity)

If you are a bit adventorous (and do hope for ASM/C to be supported soon) and do not depend on the CAS features the 9860 for sure should give you the better bang for the buck (especially considdering the SD slot)

#6 mTm

mTm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

You should never let the calc solve problems with CAS that you couldn't solve yourself since you can't verify the solution.

There are (some) known cases where CAS does not give you correct solutions (mainly dealing with infinity)

oh... i think that CAS will give the correct solution all the time if it can solve it... if thats the case, i think that i will buy 9860, but the price just a bit different(with AFX is superior in calculate, like bigger matrix inversion, etc)

maybe i will think for it a little more and ask my friend who already buy an AFX, because this calculator is expensive(in indonesia it is), so its hard to decide, maybe i will buy it in next week or 2 week, n then i will tell what will i buy

thanx for the answer huhn_m & caspro :D :D :D

#7 mTm

mTm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:45 AM

hehehe i also want to buy ClassPad 300, but its to expensive.. the price is almost twice the 9860g SD

#8 mTm

mTm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

at last..
i already buy fx9860G SD
n i think its very nice, the display is good, faster calculation.. but i just use it a little.. never have the time to explore all the menu

anyone knows what program can be installed in my 9860 ?? other than the official casio program?? i already download it
is the game only mario n pong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users