• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Can you add an option to disable the replacement of emoticons in the user's posts somewhere in the options? Currently I can get all or nothing, while I just don't want them to be replaced in my posts.

#2 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

What do you mean? There is a `Enable emoticons?` checkbox at the bottom at the bottom of the post editor (even the Fast Reply has it).

Do you want to do that for ALL your post?

#3 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

What do you mean? There is a `Enable emoticons?` checkbox at the bottom at the bottom of the post editor (even the Fast Reply has it).

Do you want to do that for ALL your post?

No, I want the equivalent checkbox in the settings manager, so I can disable emoticons for everything.

#4 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

There is only a "Do you wish to view images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?" option in "Board Settings" section; which does "more" than you want!

Maybe 2072 can add an additional option for disabling smileys only.

I was curious why did you want to disable smileys?

#5 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

There is only a "Do you wish to view images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?" option in "Board Settings" section; which does "more" than you want!

Maybe 2072 can add an additional option for disabling smileys only.

I was curious why did you want to disable smileys?

I'd rather have it so that I see others posts how they write them,and that others see my posts how I write them. I find that emoticons are a harmful intrusion to the browsing experience, as I often know what an emoticon means when written out, but misunderstand the picture. The engine also replaces all instances where a string matches an emoticon, which may be harmful (eg, when you have a code segment that equates to a smiley). I'd like my posts to be unambiguous, but I'd also like to see others' posts how they intended, be that with emoticons or without.

#6 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

I often know what an emoticon means when written out, but misunderstand the picture.

Moreover, different people can think the opposite about the same smiley, and some of them might seem insulting to certain people.

The engine also replaces all instances where a string matches an emoticon, which may be harmful (eg, when you have a code segment that equates to a smiley).

Since these situations are rare, in these cases the owner of the post himself had better off-check the "Enable Smileys" manually.

#7 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Moreover, different people can think the opposite about the same smiley, and some of them might seem insulting to certain people.

Since these situations are rare, in these cases the owner of the post himself had better off-check the "Enable Smileys" manually.

Yes, but I forget to do that a lot. I'd rather just have an option to do that for every post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users