4 replies to this topic

#1 kasio

kasio

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

So during the times when hacking my Casio Fx-85ES I found other smaller, useless but interesting hacks. These hacks will work on all Casio FX ROM18 Models. Models with the ROM18 chip include most of the ES models (excluding the plus models) which means 115es, 991es, 570es, 85es etc.

I don't have much of an idea why these hacks work apart from "r" doing something (Ram corruption?) but here we go. I may upload a youtube video showcasing them all.

This topic is meant for informative purposes. I am just posting this to document all the hacks I have found on the ROM18 models (not many FX ES model hackers around these days), even if useless :P

Now before we do anything else, all these hacks of course use the "r" exploit. So if you don't know the exploit already, i'll post it here.

Initial steps:

"r" exploit

1) Pol(0,1) then =
2) Type lots of fractions untill cannot type anymore
3) Go to the end and type 1 then x□ (x to the power of *white box*)
4) =
5) AC
6) Up
7) AC
8) Press left untill the cursor is just after "1"
9) Del

You will now have r=0 0=1

10) Delete everything so you just have the "r" on screen.
11) Put the cursor before "r" (at the beggining of the screen)

Ok so that we have done that, we can do some nof these Misc. hacks. All these hacks are done after the previous steps I just posted. I have given all these mini hacks names, if you have a better one, please tell me :P

"Fading LIne Hack"

1) type fraction with 1 in both boxes (before the "r" symbol)
2)Type a :
3) type another frraction with 1 in both boxes (after the : symbol)
4) Press equals 5 times
5) Press abs 5 times
6) press sqaure root 7 times
7) press sqaure root again

A big line just appears on the screen. And it stays there for about 5 minutes untill slowly fading away.
After some testing, what appears to happen is after you press the sqaure root, the calculator draws a line on the screen and then overvolts the LCD (lcd runs on less that 1.5V normally)
and turns off. However when youi overvolt a lcd, the lcd cystals stay "charged" for a few minutes (this is evident by removing the battery and the line stays)

"Glitch box hack"

1) type a fraction (before the "r" symbol) and put 1 in both boxes
2) type a :
3) type 1 to the power of 2
4) Press equals many times
5) Press up a few times untill you see *1 to the power of 2*r
6) press equals
7) press right

There will now be a glitchy box on the screen. I also found a weird thing with this.

With the glitch box on screen,
1) Press equals. the Disp. Top bar text should appear
2) press mode and attempt to access stat mode
3) the "Corrupted contrast" glitch will occur, try to see the screen under a light.
4) press any of the 8 stat mode options
5) The calculator will enter a stat mode with all the fields garbled

At that point the calculator freezes or crashes.
Pretty weird.

"Pseudo Downgrade"

This technically does not downgrade the calculator however this hack locks you into LineIO mode with INS cursor, pretty weird

!) type fraction and put 1 in both boxes (before the "r" symbol)
2) press equals
3) type and repeat this order over and over: sqaure root, open bracket, square root, close bracket
4) You wll end end in LineIO mode with the INS cursor (like on an MS model). Attempting to enter MathIO mode simply does nothing, you're kicked straight back into LineIO mode.

Also the "corrupted contrast" bug occurs here after going through menus too. Go into the contrast settings and set it back to a readble level. This hack is weird where you are stuck in LineIO mode with INS cursor. I assume the calculator is loading some old MS model files (maybe just settings) but i highly doubt it. I highly doubt its a proptotype OS as well.

Unused "ERROR" error handler

1) do the the "Pseudo Downgrade" hack but do not do step 3), stop there.
2) carefully, press abs untill the M top bar icon comes on
3) enter LineIO mode
4) press RCL and then S<>D (to recall memory Y)

The answer will be "ERROR". now as far as I know, this is an unused error handler. It seems to show when a corrupted sum is recalled or when you have a corrupted memory in your equation. This must be unused because normally you get the fullscreen error message for any sum errors, but i may be wrong, please correct me if I am.

So these are my Misc. hacks I found. If you have any feedback, ideas, hacks you found yourself, corrections etc. please reply to this topic :)

Edited by kaikun97, 17 October 2014 - 05:32 PM.

• kasio likes this

#2 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

How did you come up with the 'r' hack? Just randomly punching the keyboard?

#3 kasio

kasio

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:30 AM

How did you come up with the 'r' hack? Just randomly punching the keyboard?

I did not find the "r" exploit myself. the origin of the exploit itself is unkown (like the MissingNo. glitch in pokemon games, nobody knows who found it) but the exploit was only used to do the famous "matrix" hack (which activates some some of corrupted or partially deleted routine and causes RAM corruption). Nobody else exploited it any further, so once I figured out the r symbol was causing it, i exploited it a lot and found many hacks including my eeprom hack.

#4 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

Ah ok, gotcha. :)

#5 kasio

kasio

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Ah ok, gotcha. :)

If you have any suggestions. questions etc, please ask me :D also you should get a Casio fx-85ES to try these :P (fx plus models have the exploit patched)

Edited by kaikun97, 21 October 2014 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users