Photo
- - - - -

Are The Casio's Machines For Simplest Task Only?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nexus_t1000

Nexus_t1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

Hi friends, recently i did read a lot of forums about calculators and the comments tells always the same history...HP & TI for heavy duty and CASIO for simpliest tasks. At the moment to make the choice, engineers, Phd's and many other pro's says the same thing, CASIO's machines are almost toys and HP49 or 48 are SOLID machines. Ok...the polish notation is a pain in the "...." but the question is : Where this pour opinion of CASIO's machines come from???.

Are they really toys for simple tasks? or is just a mith and CASIO machines match the profile for High Engineering Work??

I take a look to my CP300 and i can't accept that, it is just a beauty toy.

NOTE : By the way, CASIO could to enable an option to anulate some functions in the CP300 just like in the Algebra FX 2.0 just for the exams.

Here is a link to another forum (In Spanish) that get to the point :
http://www.macuarium...php/t90468.html

Regards to everyone.

#2 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:52 PM

NOTE : By the way, CASIO could to enable an option to anulate some functions in the CP300 just like in the Algebra FX 2.0 just for the exams.

this simply cannot be done since the CAS is so integrated into the OS, ive had looooong discussions with casio and saltire on this point ;)

as for your other comment, the CP300 has yet to fail to do something mathematically that i needed it to do... (aka, add and subtract...)

#3 Guest_Guest_Nexus_t1000_*_*

Guest_Guest_Nexus_t1000_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:19 PM

this simply cannot be done since the CAS is so integrated into the OS, ive had looooong discussions with casio and saltire on this point ;)

as for your other comment, the CP300 has yet to fail to do something mathematically that i needed it to do... (aka, add and subtract...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Crimson but i dont know what do you mean when says "the CP300 has yet to fail to do something mathematically that i needed it to do... (aka, add and subtract...)".

Anyway and just like i'd posted before, im a CASIO user & fan but a rational one, and i always like to contrast opinions.

#4 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

i meant that i rarely use any calculator for higher mathematics, so the CP is far beyond my needs in terms of math, and of course i dont do any engeneering either. ;)

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:02 AM

"k...the polish notation is a pain in the "...." "

Have you tried it? I find its alot better for more complicated tasks (eg, heavy symbolics and problems with multiple matrices). Remember it is optional, by default the calc works like a TI/Casio. Also the Equation Writer is the best entry method I've seen yet.

#6 Guest_Guest_Nexus_t1000_*_*

Guest_Guest_Nexus_t1000_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:37 PM

"k...the polish notation is a pain in the "...." "

Have you tried it? I find its alot better for more complicated tasks (eg, heavy symbolics and problems with multiple matrices). Remember it is optional, by default the calc works like a TI/Casio. Also the Equation Writer is the best entry method I've seen yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look, this subject is the same that discuss about who become first, the egg or the chicken...i understand your position, you are happy with te P. Notation I'd try it several times on HP Machines and i still think and feel that the Polish notation is a real pain in the "......".

But my earlier post is focused on a different subject, the question was : Why the people seems to prefer HP/TI machines for Engineering Heavy Duty calculation tasks instead the CASIO's machines??. I'm relucted to believe that is only for how they looks like!!!!...must to be some an other powerfull reason hided there.

#7 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

well, one thing i really like about Casio's is the community, ive been to lots of ti and hp fourms/newgroups/irc/etc... and you wont find a better community than the Casio one (we're pulled together be diversity ;) ). though i know quite a few good people in the Ti community, but they arnt as centralized as we are, rather the entire community consists of scattered programming groups that pretty much compeat with each other (though its pleasent competition), and it gets very childish at times... you simply couldnt get the kind of help on there forums you could here (you'd litterally get shouted down with cries of "nOOb!", the first time i saw it I was horrified). still, the idea of programming groups has something going for it, and the Casio community is benifiting from at least 2 such groups (EPS and TG100), but casiocalc remains the dominating presence and organizes us in a way that i dont think ticalc and hpcalc do... but mabey im biased...

plus, of course, i think were being brought up to date in all other regards by the "recent" (some of you dont realize how recent it is relatively) support of casio and saltire... and ive never heard of a Ti or Hp person (with any ability to change things) participating in the community, this lends us a (to coin a phrase) "un-official officialness" that the other calc comunities dont have... but then, im no expert in non-casio matters...

anyway, thats a good summary of how i see things... and then of course, ive always liked casios because i derive an almost masacistic joy from the challenges of working with an inferior calc and pushing back the limits of what it could do (in this case im refering to casio basic, which has always been inferior...)

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:10 AM

"nd ive never heard of a Ti or Hp person (with any ability to change things) participating in the community"

You'd be surprised...

#9 R00KIE

R00KIE

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, games, programming

• Calculators:
    HP49G ROM 1.24; CASIO CFX-9850GB PLUS;CASIO FX-6300G; CASIO FX-82TL

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:01 AM

"nd ive never heard of a Ti or Hp person (with any ability to change things) participating in the community"

you really don't know how you are wrong, ok hp people don't really use forums but they use newsgroups and people involved in the development of the os and cas of HP49 DO participate and no one cries out laud noob even when someone ask a pretty simple question, they answer and they help

Ok...the polish notation is a pain in the "...."

about that everyone is entitled to an opinion, mine is that RPN is great when things get complicated, it's a lot easyer to use, you say you've tried it on some calculators i do own one and to really appreciate it you need to have such a calculator long enough to compare several tasks using both notations, i admit that when i bought my hp i started using algebraic because it was the only notation i was used to but bit by bit i started using RPN and now i really dont use algebraic anymore.

Now about casio calcs being good only for simple tasks is not completely true, i have a cfx and a friend of mine has a afx and another one has a cp but i haven't seen the cp yet so i'll talk about the cfx and afx only.

cfx - standart graphing calculator, i've allways missed file support and it could be faster running programs and it could support asm progs, appart from that it's ok you can't really ask too much of a calculator that doesn't have a cas system

afx - advanced calculator, it's somewhat faster than cfx running basic progs, it supports asm progs but still no file support using basic, it has a cas system BUT as far as i know you need to go into the cas menu do do the magic, i don't like that, and hp/ti calcs allow the use of the cas directly on the stack/history appart from that the cas systems should be comparable, about the other functions of the calculator, every calculator is better than the others in something, for me casio is easyer to use, ti a pain in the b*** it's not as easy as casio and it's not as flexible as hp but it's fast, and finally hp, flexible calcs you can customise just about anything right out of the box, lots of engeneering progs, oh and i has forgetting ... it supports RPN ;)

#10 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:20 PM

i admit that i dont know much at all about the Hp community (i dont like news groups or irc so i havent ever really participated), and i wouldnt know if a person worked for hp or not unless they told me... im mostly refering to Ti's as there the only ones i have real experiance with. though, like i said, i dont like the way the hp community seems to be set up, i much prefer forums.

#11 R00KIE

R00KIE

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, games, programming

• Calculators:
    HP49G ROM 1.24; CASIO CFX-9850GB PLUS;CASIO FX-6300G; CASIO FX-82TL

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

well, to say the truth i really don't like newsgroups that much i prefer forums too but when i "arrived" at the hp community thing were like they are now, and i guess they have allways been that way (since hp48 exists i guess) so who am i to question it? and people seem to like it that way.

#12 m4x

m4x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• Calculators:
    Classpad 300, fx-991MS

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:04 PM

I don't know about other Casio Graphing calcs, 'cos I only have Classpad, but I think that it's all just a matter of the software. Classpad is missing some features like unit support, Number Bases, a more powerful CAS, other minor stuff. But there are already solutions for most of them, and I hope OS 2.0 will be the remedy for the rest. I wouldn't trade my CP for anything else - I think it's the most powerful piece of calculator hardware that just needs a software to utilize it's potential in full and make it the best calculator :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users