Photo
- - - - -

The Biggest Scandal In The Classpad History!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Filip Georgijev

Filip Georgijev

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Computing, Programming, Casio...

• Calculators:
    CASIO ClassPad 300 OS Version 2.00 2x, CASIO ALgebra FX 2.0 Plus, CASIO CFX-9970G, CASIO CFX-9950GB+, CASIO fx-6300G, CASIO fx-570, CASIO fx-991MS and so on... Huh!!!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:16 PM

Dear friends, I had the unhappy work to announce the biggest scandal in the history of the ClassPad. :banghead: You see, at least one of the programs which won prizes has been illegally submitted, without satisfying the necessary conditions! :rant: To be more precise, its author unhappily said that he did NOT submit the program at contest2005 AT classpad.org and he was surprized that he got a prize! :cry: Moreover, Brian tried to calm down, saying that all programs submitted to the download page of classpad.org, were automatically added to the contest. However, even if this was true, this program could not enter the competition, since it does not satisfy one of the most important conditions, that is:
- Complete source code for the program! :profanity:
You see, there are some programs (like the old Text Manager by Superna), that had the source code provided along the add-in in the archive! However, this is not the case with ASPIRIN! :profanity: That program had to be disqualified as soon as possible and removed from the contest! :rant: However, this was not done, and moreover, it win a prize in this competition! :cry: It was only the mistake of Brian and the author of Aspirin to write those posts lightmindedly, so that it was possible for the scandal to be found out! :banghead: What will you say to you, dear friends?
P.S. It was very strange thay everything was done while Brian was on vacation! I am just wondering what he will say! At last, I wait for the judges to say their full names! I am a person with identity, and I hope that they are at the same level too!
P.S. P.S. The main aim of the contest was to enrich all the ClassPad users with a bunch of new programs! You must agree that we all want also the rest of all of the programs (dozens of them!), and not only five of them! It is useless to create so many programs for the contest by so many people and afterwards not release all!
P.S. P.S. P.S. If Saltire has decided not to release all the contest programs, then I shall definitely publish the manuals (about 50 pages long)! You see, I honestly say that I am cleaning up my room after a hard and long year at university! It is such a mess, that I have hardly managed to reach my computer to be online! However, for a week or so, I shall have enough time (and place!) to remove all of the secret information (personal phone number, address, etc.) and you will get the manuals!
P.S. P.S. P.S. P.S. Another bad news: We shall never see support for engineering symbols on the ClassPad! Casio has make this bad decision some time before and has removed this from ALL scientific calculators, even from MS series! As you can remember, this is their newest series, starting from this year! See you soon! Bye!

#2 Orwell

Orwell

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio AFX 1.02 / Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

....... :blink:
So this is what you called "the biggest scandal in the history of the ClassPad"? :huh:

Man, i thought this would be serious... :plol:

#3 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

i have to say... does it really matter? i think the 5 programs were either the only ones submitted or that it is up to the programmers of the other programs to release them now... you seem to be way over reacting.

#4 SoftCalc

SoftCalc

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Calculators:
    ClassPad 300 , AFX 2.0, HP-48/49/50, TI-89/92/Voyager, HP Expander, etc...

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:45 AM

There is no scandal or bad intentions. The contest was designed to be a fun competition and to reward people for their hard work. The last think we would want to do is make anyone feel cheated.

As it turns out, the author of Aspirin didn't actually want to take part in the contest and didn't know that all uploads to Classpad.org were automatically being entered in the contest. I can understand this confusion. Filip also has a point that this entry did not satisfy the "Complete source code for the program" condition, which is correct.

Because Filip has a valid point we decided to add a new winner. The fifth place winner has been bumped up to fourth place and there is now a new fifth place winner. Aspirin has been kept on as an extra fourth place winner because we didn't want to take anything away from that author. Now the first though fifth place winners have all met the requirements and Aspirin is still recognized as a great program. I think this is more than fair.

As a footnote, I don't know why Filip is so upset. He got a free ClassPad because he submitted so many programs the first few months. When the contest ending date was extended and the first place prize was increased to a digital camera Filip was a bit worried. He was worried that that since the contest was extended, more people would have time to make bigger and better programs and hurt his chances. Again, because we didn't want anyone to feel cheated we gave him the original first place prize, a ClassPad.

#5 SoftCalc

SoftCalc

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:48 AM

BTW, we're not making all entries available for download, in part because most authors included their source code which they might not want published. Instead we decided that each author can decide if they want to upload their programs. To be quite honest we didn't get a huge number of entries. Most everything that was entered is either a winner or has already been uploaded to ClassPad.org.

#6 Guest_daNova_*

Guest_daNova_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:12 AM

I don't know why Filip is so upset. He got a free ClassPad

Filip, chill out. I think your code is unusable and yet you got a ClassPad. You shouldn't be complaining! There are better things to do with your time than posting a mindless rant. :nonono:

#7 omegavirus

omegavirus

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

• Calculators:
    ClassPad 300

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:20 PM

I thing this is just a Scandal In The Classpad (no the biggest int the history), but since Saltire change the winners at classpad.org because they see that they had made a mistake in the judjing work.......

And why Musical Flash Cards I can not understand how to use it.....

#8 SoftCalc

SoftCalc

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

I thing this is just a Scandal In The Classpad (no the biggest int the history),

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scandal means something that is immoral or was done maliciously, and something that has caused an outburst of public outrage.

What we have here is one disgruntle person (Filip) and a misunderstanding. This is hardly a "scandal". Filip is just upset because he didn't win.

but since Saltire change the winners at classpad.org because they see that they had made a mistake in the judjing work.......

We made a change because we don't want people to be unhappy or upset. We also kept Aspirin on the list to be fair.

And why Musical Flash Cards I can not understand how to use it.....

It was the next best entry. You try to guess the musical note on the scale by pressing the letters A through F on the keypad.

#9 Kilburn

Kilburn

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Blah

• Calculators:
    FX-7500 G
    ClassPad 300

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

this program could not enter the competition, since it does not satisfy one of the most important conditions, that is:
- Complete source code for the program! :profanity:
You see, there are some programs (like the old Text Manager by Superna), that had the source code provided along the add-in in the archive! However, this is not the case with ASPIRIN! :profanity: That program had to be disqualified as soon as possible and removed from the contest! :rant:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:angry: So you want the source code ??? Here is the source code !!!

Filip, chill out. I think your code is unusable and yet you got a ClassPad. You shouldn't be complaining! There are better things to do with your time than posting a mindless rant.  :nonono:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you, daNova !!!

I prefer to act and do interresting things than writing stupid thousands of jealousy lines ... :lmao:

If you want to win a prize one day, begin to write useful programs! I don't see how you can be proud of building hundreds of useless stupid basic programs. :knife:

(P. S . : I built Aspirin for fun only. I you feel bad with that : just give my prizes to a charity organization ... :plol: Do they use ClassPad at UNICEF ??? ) :blah:

#10 Filip Georgijev

Filip Georgijev

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

• Calculators:
    CASIO ClassPad 300 OS Version 2.00 2x, CASIO ALgebra FX 2.0 Plus, CASIO CFX-9970G, CASIO CFX-9950GB+, CASIO fx-6300G, CASIO fx-570, CASIO fx-991MS and so on... Huh!!!

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

Dear friends, three days have passed after my announcement of the biggest scandal in the history of the ClassPad. In fact, I was so angry about this, that I actually left all my duties in cleaning up my room and I used one of my free days to include the programs that I submitted for the programming competition in one archive, in the unaltered form, along with all the documentation. You can not imagine my need to hear your comments on my complete works. Now you cannot get the excuses like: the source is quite unreadable, blah, blah, blah. Here is the location of archive mentioned:
http://classpad.org/.....jev Filip.zip
The uncompressed 65 files take up 15,621,307 bytes it is approximately 15MB of data!
This ZIP archive fills up almost a whole floppy (1,453,627 bytes large). Even maximum (best) ZIP compression could not compress under this amount. ZIP is really out-of-use!
I have tried out all the five winning add-ins; it means that I may comment all of them:
- I think that Dr. Harrison is the best add-in, although English support will also be fine;
- I do not plan to comment on Aspirin (illegal submission), Sokoban (boring, pointless) and Hangman (even the BASIC program was better, it does not offer anything new). If you see my programs I think that many people will say that I have done better things!
- I must spend a minute on 8Pool. You need to move your pen very quickly in both the ways along a same line, in order to make a shoot with the ball. In fact, you scratch the ClassPad touch screen while playing this game. When I play, I remember to this story:
One year ago, while the SDK was still not issued, Brian suddenly got an idea, to create an add-in in which you would have to kill bugs across the whole screen as many&quick as you could, or otherwise they would reproduce theirselves, and you would have even bigger problems. Happily, Brian is of course smart enough to realize that while playing this game, you would have to scratch the display all the time. The only thing I think of is that the author of 8Pool is not so smart; to be honest, I expected this real situation!
I would only add one revolutionary idea to the previous program (and I ask the author of 8Pool to compile that add-in, I am not that stupid): the bigger the bug you will have to scratch the touch screen over it longer and more heavily or else you lose the game!
At last, I must admit that I needed at least a whole year to realize that Dr Coyote was right; now I regret for not agreeing in my minds with that serious man with a daughter who predicted that everybody will be fooled one day by the actions of Casio or Saltire!
I am very sorry that this came to a reality; I was too much optimistic to believe in that truth. I see that there are people, who support that crazy judge, with no identity. I am wondering where is the neutral public. Is anybody to comment on my true arguments?
Just as Dr. Coyote, I am sad that I have bought so many calculators from Casio. If you can believe this, they are becoming more and more dull. Where is the lost confidence?
P.S. The place of the source code was not as a line of text in this forum, but as an attachment to an e-mail to contest2005 AT classpad.org in the time between first of January and first of June. This is a so strict rule, that I feel very safe by noting this!
P.S. P.S. I have spend much of my free time in the prevous half a year to make my programs. I cannot realize how three add-ins of only 10KB are better than my Basic program which is 17KB compressed to EXE. I think Saltire had to say that all the programs written in Basic (and not games) will be automatically sent to trash...
P.S. P.S. P.S. I do not shame of my work. These brave men had to have a support of three other men each to create add-ins of only 10KB each. Very funny!!!
P.S. P.S. P.S. P.S. I always prefer to consult an Oxbridge dictionary rather than a programmer. What did you think, I was talking about some affairs between lovers?

#11 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

This ZIP archive fills up almost a whole floppy (1,453,627 bytes large). Even maximum (best) ZIP compression could not compress under this amount. ZIP is really out-of-use!

If you compress it with WinRAR you get: 568?668 bytes :P

I cannot realize how three add-ins of only 10KB are better than my Basic program which is 17KB compressed to EXE.

The quality of a program isn't proportional to the size of its source code...

#12 Orwell

Orwell

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

I was wondering how the content of this archive could be so huge... :huh:
Now i understand: 27 MCS file, and each of them is supposed to be a complete RAM image of 512 Ko... Compression ratio : ~99%. That means 99% of useless space.
So your "15 Mb" argument has no value.

Just as 2072 said, size and quality arent equivalent. Plus, each Basic key-word takes 1 or more bytes in the memory, and for other words 1 byte/character. That means that a Basic program is HUGE compared to the same prog written in C and compiled in an executable. Your "15 Kb vs 10 Kb" argument is stupid as well.

About 8Pool... indeed, if you play it as nervously as you write your posts here, i can understand why you speak about scratches on the screen. I understand also why you have so many calculators.

PS: (i actually had to add at least one P.S. right?) Don't waste your time crying. If you think youre the best programmer that the world has ever seen, then go for it and create so wonderful prog that someone will finally find interesting.

#13 Guest_daNova_*

Guest_daNova_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:14 AM

Compression ratio : ~99%. That means 99% of useless space.

I count 100% usless space. :roflol:

I downloaded the new version with the documentation, and now I know why I couldn't understand the programs. Because they just don't make sense. It is all a bunch of nonsense. The documentation is as poorly written as the code.

So what is "Emulator" trying to do. You state "it can fully emulate the CASIO Algebra FX2.0(+)". What you've written is a simple dialog box for the built-in "StrToExp" command. The message box with your name takes up more lines of code than the actual program! The user enters a string, the program does is a "StrToExp" and then displays the result using "PrintNatural". How is this an emulator of anything? :blink:

The program "Keyboard" makes no sense either. Your documentation states "This program features advanced power management, that keeps track of the built-into Auto Power Off (APO) feature of the ClassPad 300, as well as monitoring, the usage of both the hard keyboard and the touch screen". This is crazy. The only thing the program does is print out a special character when you press keys 1-4.

And what is "hardware" suppose to do? it asks for the Video Card capabilities to display a graphic and it can also play a song!?!? 8O

I especially liked the SysTools program that scans the ClassPad's MCS for malicious type modifications and offers to delete them. When I ran it I expected all your tools to be deleted. :greengrin:

#14 Filip Georgijev

Filip Georgijev

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:27 PM

I have also created the equivalent RAR archive, as I use WinRAR for compression!
If you want, I can send it to you. ClassPad.org does not accept RAR archives, but I know that the RAR archive is 3 times smaller (due to solid 4M delta compression)!
However, it is bigger than 400kB. I cannot also upload it to UCF file sharing. Sorry!
P.S. Brian and/or Ricky, please return the old archive that I uploaded some weeks ago. You see, it is better optimized (as a final version). It even has new program, but you have obviously not noticed that. Both the archives should be available for download. If I liked, I would have replaced the old archive with a new, I know how!
P.S. I go to a holiday in Friday. I am happy that I would not have to read this stuff!

#15 betoe

betoe

UCF Spanish Translator

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, SW development, automotive. Swim->bike->run

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0 (R.I.P.), Classpad 300

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:47 AM

The only thing I think of is that the author of 8Pool is not so smart; to be honest, I expected this real situation!

Dont know if the creator of 8pool will read this, but it would be nice to point to the "white ball" (i dont know the english terms for billiard sorry :D) with the stylus, then press a button for shoot. When pressing the button, it would be nice that a power bar appear and fill more (for more speed & power for the shoot) if you are still pressing the button.

Maybe its easy shoot in this way, also it could be possible with a moving faster power bar, for choose with a bit more difficulty the shoot power.

#16 Filip Georgijev

Filip Georgijev

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

I also thought of this! It would be a nice idea to implement this feature... I noticed that I got most of the critics from a bunch of lazy ill-tempered people, who do not have to do anything (maybe they were even too weird for the people from MTV)! I cannot understand how people who have not created only one program of a single row of code can be so insane?! I think that this forum is the only place in the world where you will be criticized for everything you have done from people who did not do anything in their whole life!? Now I have really understood the conflict between Dr. Coyote and Crimson, Brian... a year ago! Simply Dr. Coyote was a too serious man for a couple of light-minded men!? I have the same feeling now! I cannot find out why Brian, who was so polite to me before (and I to him even twice as before) suddenly became so rude? Or maybe he just found himself in some sentences that I did not write for him - and even in my mind I was not thinking about him while I was writing a part of my posts!? It seems that he takes some guilt on himself! Bye!

#17 Orwell

Orwell

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

a bunch of lazy ill-tempered people, who do not have to do anything (maybe they were even too weird for the people from MTV)! I cannot understand how people who have not created only one program of a single row of code can be so insane?!

Could you give us some names please?
I wonder if you were thinking of me... :)

#18 Fezzier

Fezzier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:47 AM

a bunch of lazy ill-tempered people, who do not have to do anything (maybe they were even too weird for the people from MTV)! I cannot understand how people who have not created only one program of a single row of code can be so insane?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a bunch, only one. And yes, insane is the word I was looking for. :lol:

#19 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

let me put it this way: Filip, your acting like a spoiled brat, the classpad is first and foremost a classroom tool for students at around the highschool level. Its is not and never was intendeded to do many of the things it does now, and then only because Casio/Saltire were kind enough to listen to us. beggars cannot be choosers. Casio isnt going to make the classpad to your specifications, or mine, or anyones, they have to hit the largest possible audiance for the best profit, and work targeted tward a relatively small group of people (or an individual) means less profits, we are lucky to have gotten this far. As for the contest, you didnt win, live with it. the people that did win were choosen without bias and deserve their rewards... asprin was a mistake made iin an effort to prevent someone from getting left out when they might have ment to participate (i cant see why anyone wouldnt if they had something ready to submit). turns out he didnt want to, but oh well, that was handled, not a big deal, this isnt the olympics... when all was said and done, you still didnt win... congrats. everyone thats commented on your programs so far seems to agree with the judges. nobody likes a whiner. as for Dr. Coyote, he and i didnt have a problem with each other, as i recall there was a missunderstanding between him and brian that got cleared up... he decided the classpad wasnt for him, i agreed, he gave some helpful comments, we took them into consideration... what you dont seem to understand is that Brian, Ricky, me, etc, have almost no control over what happens with the classpad, it goes something like this: i make (or relay) a suggestion to brian, he considers it and talks to me about it, if he thinks its good he sends it up the line to people in Casio... a bit later it may make its way to Casio Japan... at this point who knows what happens, seems like more often than not we never hear anything about it again, in the mean time brian has whatever it is on his desk, ready to go, and cant do a thing about it. you think your frustrated? you ca either be helpfull, or whine, i dont care which really, but if you continue to whine you'll have to do it all alone since you wont be allowed to post here any more. The End.

you talk a whole lot but you need to think more about what your going to say before you say it. now let the winners enjoy their sucsess and stop demeaning their work.

(Closed)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users