Photo
- - - - -

New Version Of Mario! (specifically 9850)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Location:Impossible to say.. Its not like this is a constant!

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:48 AM

Yes, it has been a long time since I updated this game.

New features over Beta 1 include:
=) Numerous bugfixes
(trivia: there was a bug where you couldn't move left if you were in the middle of the screen!)
=) New sprites and locations
Castle: Including pedestals, chandeliers (or candles?), pictures hanging from the ceiling, and more to come!
=) Still as fast as the previous version!
Runs quite smoothly on the 9850
=) Level editor bugfixed!
Now it works fine! (At least on first glance...)
=) And MORE...

Screenshot:
Posted Image
^ As you can see, there is no mountain in this screenshot, this is because this is a castle level (no castle background yet)

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (in anticipation!)

>> Release Date: Soon!!, Stay posted here! <<
Edit: Game released, see below

#2 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:58 AM

Oh, ok.. This was pretty much a teaser before the ACTUAL release, as im still busy with new sprites, levels, etc.

Hopefully, the new version will be out very soon. I'll bump this post when its done.

EDIT: Update:

=) This just keeps getting better! 2 new levels, + a new sprite for coin boxes (GREAT!)
=) Expect the new release within DAYS!

By the way, you can download the old version (Mario 2 Beta 1) at the filesharing. Thanks!

Update:

=) I have now split the program into ~4 chunks, as the one big program was getting too big (~5000b).
=) By splitting into chunks, the screen will draw faster (this is game-dependent, not for every game, but for this one!).
=) The new release will have 5 levels, instead of the old 3 (1 of the old levels was really small and has been cut out).

Update:

=) I have added numerous speed optimizations, the game now RUNS faster! Yes!
=) I have added a load feature, when you break the game, if you dont use the graph screen and dont change any game variables, you can load directly to your last point in a flash!
=) Everything seems ready to go. So...

Release Date: Sat 19 August 2006

Includes 6 levels! (5 and 1 bonus)
Awesome gameplay!
Level editor to customize your gaming experience!
Random level generator! (Reliability not guaranteed)
Super graphics and sprites!

(This game does not finish the storyline, it merely begins it. The next version will simply add more levels to tie in with the story, + bugfixes and features if necessary).

#3 Scratty

Scratty

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Medieval lifestyle, arms and armour. European medieval longsword fencing and martial arts. Amateur rocketry. Programming (graphics, games, hw-near programming, parsing). Oil-painting/drawing. Computer Graphics (modeling, animation, animation production). Screen-play writing. Juggling. Playing the guitar (jazz preferrably).

• Calculators:
    CFX-9950G

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:34 AM

Wow! Judging by the graphics and the advanced graphics methods you've presented, you have by far surpassed my Mario game in terms of playability and graphics. I'm very much looking forward to your release!

#4 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:42 AM

Well, its the day of the release!

Mario 2: Beta 3 by Alias4399

Out now!
Get it in the filesharing!

or click here.

#5 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

Has anyone tried it? Any feedback?

#6 Scratty

Scratty

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Medieval lifestyle, arms and armour. European medieval longsword fencing and martial arts. Amateur rocketry. Programming (graphics, games, hw-near programming, parsing). Oil-painting/drawing. Computer Graphics (modeling, animation, animation production). Screen-play writing. Juggling. Playing the guitar (jazz preferrably).

• Calculators:
    CFX-9950G

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

I'll try it as soon as I've finished releasing FX-GL 2.0, and if time allows me.

#7 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0, CP 300, CP 330, nSpire, TI 89, FX 5800

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

I input it by hand (my cable didn't finish) so until now I can test it ( some wrong input and then correct, that take a lots of time ), But this game seem not good on afx ( without color ). but it's really great, and very fast.

#8 Scratty

Scratty

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX-9950G

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

Btw, what's the frame rate for the 9850 (roughly)? (or are there different processors depending on which kind of 9850 you're having?)

#9 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

Last time I checked, the game was running at approx 5/3 fps (1.67).

#10 R00KIE

R00KIE

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, games, programming

• Calculators:
    HP49G ROM 1.24; CASIO CFX-9850GB PLUS;CASIO FX-6300G; CASIO FX-82TL

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

The game is cool, but maybe you should change the colours because sometimes mario gets kind of hidden by the background, another thing i think you should look at is the "one up" or the one more life thing, it's the same colour as mario and after a teleport if you land next to one you don't know wich one is mario.
Another thing that i noticed is that you may have to improve the first run of the game, maybe it was my mistake but i did run the install and then ran the game and selected new game, and it did throw an error, at the second attempt it ran fine.

Appart from this i think the game is great, nice work!

#11 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:34 AM

Hey, thanks! Thats probably the most informative feedback I've received! :D, Hopefully I will try to work on those issues you brought up, and then tie up a few loose ends. (eg add more levels, features, storyline, etc).

Again, thanks.

By the way, Did you make it to the last level?

You'll need to work out a cool trick to access the secret areas in level 5!

And you might just find something if you beat that level...

#12 R00KIE

R00KIE

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

I'm glad you apreciated the comments, i did reach the final level (i think) but i couldn't beat it (ran out of lives).
Another thing that i remembered is that the invisible blocks and the blocks you can see but you can go through are quite a surprise but don't abuse on their use, players may find it frustrating, don't forget we don't know where they are (unlike you that design the levels).

#13 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:33 AM

ok cool .. thanks. In general, the upper floors contains more goodies than the lower, and so I put a few of those blocks to allow people on the lower floor to reach the top ;) Yes, I can still see your point.

Also, Ill give a little hint: there is a secret after the last level!!

However, beating the last level can be tricky if you want to get all the goodies, or start on the left-bottom. To get over the spike that you might seem to always land on after walking out, hit jump, wait a sec, then move to the right -> if timed correctly, you should jump up, which gives you time to dodge the spike and make it to safety!

#14 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

This is AWESOME! I've got a real character that turns the way you move (ie he actually looks left and right!!!, not just @!) and real animated sprites!! This is really looking GREAT! Results soon with screenshots!!

Here is a quick one (the flower on the right was supposed to move, the pic doesnt seem to be working right)
Posted Image

Thats right! Quick list:

=) REAL character that turns the way you move!! (Not just theta!)
=) REAL animated sprites that actually move, while hardly affecting your speed! (eg. a dancing flower!)
=) Still the fastest Mario game for the CFX available! Makes heavy use of optimization techniques!
=) All this, coming soon!

#15 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

Yup, I got a real character working and real animated sprites, a dancing flower, a 'traffic light' (?), and a moving car..

Theres only one slight problem!...

They impede your speed slightly, so I added a touch of code that ONLY activates their next frame if you have not pressed a button. It works great, seeming to only move the sprites when you are idle. It still gets in the way sometimes.. Maybe should be if you havent pressed a button last 2 loops?

Still, the animated sprites are really cool.. I gotta post screenies..

#16 R00KIE

R00KIE

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

That seems really interesting !
In the game i made moving things kind of get in the way :S but your aproach is really smart, nice thinking :)
When can you have a new version for testing ? :P

#17 alias4399

alias4399

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GB Plus
    FX 9860G

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

@Rookie, very soon, stay tuned!

Okay, Im just adding more levels (castle) and perhaps fine-tuning a few more details... and then hopefully everything will be finished and ready for release!

@Future people who may want to use my mario engine:

Ok, listen up game devs. As of yet, I have not released a readme for creating sprites for use with this engine, or how to use them. There is not much else to it. The engine handles keypresses, dieing, standing on solid blocks, and collecting items (like coins). I have also implemented an enemy system, though it slowed the game down slightly, so for now I have taken it out. When I release a readme for sprites and the full use of the engine, Ill holler.

#18 Guest_beatlestyle_*

Guest_beatlestyle_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

hey hay cool ty^^

#19 Guest_jason_*

Guest_jason_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

:greengrin: hey i've seen beta 3 on casio kingdom!!!! to whoever said when a newer version was coming!!! :rolleyes:

#20 Guest_Jeff the maori ow_*

Guest_Jeff the maori ow_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

Wow, that's easily the coolest thing I've seen this year! (2010) It looks amazing, thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users