cpTyros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

• Calculators:
    CP-300, FX-991ES, FX-991MS, And TI Voyage

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

Hello!
Somebody had used the add-in ALGY 2? it is on algebra, more information in: http://www.stepsinlogic.com /

I from Mexico.

#2 Kilburn

Kilburn

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Blah

• Calculators:
    FX-7500 G
    ClassPad 300

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

I see... It's a kind of enhanced Verify application...

But I won't pay for it. A ClassPad Add-In must be free, because the ClassPad 300 SDK is free, and has been developped by Saltire. <_< That's just illegal.
And I don't need such a program.

#3 Orwell

Orwell

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio AFX 1.02 / Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

There is nothing illegal here :huh:
If the CP Add-ins had to be free, it would be clearly written in the CPSDK documentation. And that's not the case... ;)

#4 Kilburn

Kilburn

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-7500 G
    ClassPad 300

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

Oh, I was thinking of the Qt library, as you have to buy the commercial license to sell your applications... But, the CPSDK is completely different :blush:

But I wonder who would be stupid enough to buy such a program...

#5 PAP

PAP

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Computer Algebra, Numerical Analysis.

• Calculators:
    ClassPad 300 (plus an old Casio model, with only a few Kb ram).

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

There is nothing illegal here :huh:
If the CP Add-ins had to be free, it would be clearly written in the CPSDK documentation. And that's not the case... ;)

Ok, there is nothing illegal, but... erm..., I don't want to sound rude, but why do you react this way? Do you... ehm... plan to sell the final version of CPLua? :cry: (say "NO", please)

Oh, I was thinking of the Qt library, as you have to buy the commercial license to sell your applications...

Qt is very nice, but you can try GTK+ instead. It's completely free and an excellent alternative.

But I wonder who would be stupid enough to buy such a program...

I agree ;).

#6 Kilburn

Kilburn

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-7500 G
    ClassPad 300

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

Qt is very nice, but you can try GTK+ instead. It's completely free and an excellent alternative.

Qt is also free, you need to buy a commercial license only if you wish to sell your programs.
But if GTK+ has functions that Qt doesn't have, I'll give a try. :)

Btw : ALGY 2 rules ! :roflol:

Posted Image

There is only 1 interesting thing. The Windows version of this program is using the OS 3, as you can see on this screenshot. So, has the CPSDK for ClassPad OS 3 been released ? :huh: I hope it's still compatible with Dev C++, I don't want to install Micro$oft Visual C++ !

#7 far2055

far2055

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Robotics - Programming - Mathematics - Physics - Computer <br />ANN ( Artificial Neural Network )<br />QBasic Lover-->before-->now-&gt;*CPLua&quot; Lover.

• Calculators:
    classpad 300

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:46 AM

What is that stupid program?! I don't understand it. An add-in for kids just under 2 years old! :banghead:

what are they thinking?! :angry:

#8 BBM

BBM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Calculators:
    CP 300
    FX 2.0
    FX 1.0

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hi There,

The example shown to be an error in Algy 2 by Kilburn is not an error by Algy 2 but an error by Kilburn.

Posted Image

If you want to find 'exact' solutions then set CP 300 (Algy 2) to Standard mode - not Decimal mode as Kilburn had it set.

Algy 2 was correct to say Kilburn was wrong. :)

The aim of Algy 2 is clearly explained on the website Algy 2. It aims to support students who are beginning to learn symbolic manipulation. It provides immediate feedback to students about each step of working in a problem - something a teacher or the back of a text-book does not always do.

The document at Explanation page gives further explanation.

#9 kevinator9

kevinator9

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

• Calculators:
    Classpad 300
    Classpad Manager

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

Its good for me ^_^ ... I need it a little bit for school but I didn't pay for it :ph34r:

#10 Guest_Ace_*

Guest_Ace_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

I personally know the guy who wrote this and he has suffered for it - hours and hours of work.

Thanks BBM for setting everyone straight about why this software has been written. The man is a high-quality maths teacher who wants to help kids with their algebra. Personally, I think the price is absolutely tiny for the amount of work he has put into it and schools in Australia, New Zealand and Europe are going nuts over it.

This is not written by Casio but a school teacher. Look at it in that light.

Ace

#11 PAP

PAP

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Computer Algebra, Numerical Analysis.

• Calculators:
    ClassPad 300 (plus an old Casio model, with only a few Kb ram).

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

Personally, I think the price is absolutely tiny for the amount of work he has put into it and schools in Australia, New Zealand and Europe are going nuts over it.

Hmmm, if Algy has a "tiny" price for the amount of work behind it, I wonder how much I should charge for LNA, which has been done after a huge amount of work... But never mind, I still believe in free software, no matter how much others charge for their programs.

#12 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0, CP 300, CP 330, nSpire, TI 89, FX 5800

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Yes, you're right, PAP :P

The only thing that interest me in Algy 2 is the OS3 interface :P

I think the basic way this addin works is:
  • If there is no '=' or '>' or '<' symbol in the equation: It is an expression, so calculate the result by CPExpression and compare that result with others. (I believe that because in Algy, i^(1/3)=i/2+3^(1/2)/2 is right and i^(1/3)=i/2-3^(1/2)/2 is wrong)
  • If there is 1 '=' or '>' or '<' symbol in the equation: It is an equation/inequation, so solve it for the 1st highest degree varible that solveable and compare it with others. (I think that because in Algy, x^2+3>0 is equivalent to x^2+1>0, and the calculate time of solving x^30-x-1=0 and x^50-x-1=0 time in CPM OS 3.0 approx the calculation time of Algy window verson)
  • If there are more than one '=' or '>' or '<' symbol in the equation: if it is the form A<B<C, A>B>C,... so transform it to A<B and B<C,... and calc else return not equivalent.
If so, the program is almost write by Casio, not that teacher. I'm sorry if i'm wrong.

#13 Guest_BBM_*

Guest_BBM_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

(I believe that because in Algy, i^(1/3)=i/2+3^(1/2)/2 is right and i^(1/3)=i/2-3^(1/2)/2 is wrong)

Do you think Algy should say that i^(1/3)=i/2-3^(1/2)/2 is correct? Should it not be looking for the principle cubed root? i.e. the one with positive real part, as all CASs do? If you are trying to solve x^3=i, then three solutions are certainly required.

#14 Kilburn

Kilburn

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-7500 G
    ClassPad 300

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:43 PM

By the way, how much money did you earn with that addin, Mr. Teacher?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users