• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:30 AM

As some of you may have known my hardware projects have been put on hold. Well, now I'm back working on it and got some stuff figured out. Check out my demonstration:

Download Here

Nothing really fancy, but it shows that the EPSILON project is back up.

It shows some nice transition (fade-in and fade-out) effects and also presents a solution to being able to run the add-in again without the use of the MENU key. You can press EXIT to exit the program and immediately run the program again if you want to without using the MENU key. :D

Anyways, I'm thinking of creating a 3D library to be included with EPSILON (hence, there is a rotating 3D cube in the demo). I don't know if that would be very useful though and if many people will use it. What do you think?

Some stuff that are going to be considered in the next release of the hardware library:
* Sound
* COM port access
* Faster graphic functions (Almost there to getting grayscales, but I'm having trouble with the interrupt getting called over and over immediately. I'll get it fixed soon probably...)
* CPU speed change
* 3D graphics
* Load add-ins directly from the SD card and perhaps use the SD slot for RAM
* New IDE - If I can find my Visual Studio DVD, I'll try writing a SDK more powerful than the one Casio supplied us. It'll have features like code highlighting, updated compiling tool-chain and can give the user the option of creating their own compiled libraries (like how EPSILON is a library). If anyone is interested in writing a new IDE with me, PM or email me.

Another project I'm working on is a software shell for the fx-9860. Using an updated API that would be included in a future version of EPSILON, users can make programs that will be compatible with the shell. Within the shell, numerous programs could be launched simultaneously allowing probably real-time multitasking now that we can access any part of the memory. :D

#2 Menno

Menno

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio 880P
    Casio Graph 25+
    Casio fx-9860g sd

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:53 AM

Sounds Great :)

I will try it when i get back form work :) A clean exit routine would be so welcome :) 3D sounds really good even more when greyscales are possible...

Multitasking would be awesome, when you ever get time and also realize an mp3 player application, multitasking would be superb, running an app wile playing music wehehehe that would be so good.

I am glad you are back man, you have so much understanding of the hardware and are a very gifted programmer :). One question though, in the new SDK suite you are going to build, will it be possible to run an application or do we have to test it on the calc, because i really value the possibility of testdriving on the pc (sometimes every piece of code i add is tested)

And also a basic question, while i am at it, How do i cleanly prevent multiple commands by one keystroke now i use

if(Is_key_Down(KEY_CTRL_EXE)==1){ do stuf; }
if(Is_key_Down(KEY_CTRL_EXE)==1){} <- empty routine

anyhow, great great great, i am thrilled of anticipation ;)

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

* COM port access

/**************************************************************/
/**** Base address settings for all the parallel I/O ports ****/
/**************************************************************/

#define	PACR		0xA4000100	/* Port A 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PBCR		0xA4000102	/* Port B 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PCCR		0xA4000104	/* Port C 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PDCR		0xA4000106	/* Port D 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PECR		0xA4000108	/* Port E 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PFCR		0xA400010A	/* Port F 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PGCR		0xA400010C	/* Port G 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PHCR		0xA400010E	/* Port H 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PJCR		0xA4000110	/* Port J 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PKCR		0xA4000112	/* Port K 16 bit data direction register */
#define	PLCR		0xA4000114	/* Port L 16 bit data direction register */
#define SCPCR		0xA4000116	/* Port SC control register */

#define	PADR		0xA4000120	/* Port A data R/W register */
#define	PBDR		0xA4000122	/* Port B data R/W register */
#define	PCDR		0xA4000124	/* Port C data R/W register */
#define	PDDR		0xA4000126	/* Port D data R/W register */
#define	PEDR		0xA4000128	/* Port E data R/W register */
#define	PFDR		0xA400012A	/* Port F data R/W register */
#define	PGDR		0xA400012C	/* Port G data R/W register */
#define	PHDR		0xA400012E	/* Port H data R/W register */
#define	PJDR		0xA4000130	/* Port J data R/W register */
#define	PKDR		0xA4000132	/* Port K data R/W register */
#define	PLDR		0xA4000134	/* Port L data R/W register */
#define	SCPDR		0xA4000136	/* Port SC data register */

#4 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

@Guest: Yeah, I know the correct fx-9860 addresses.

Multitasking would be awesome, when you ever get time and also realize an mp3 player application, multitasking would be superb, running an app wile playing music wehehehe that would be so good.

Hehehehe, I don't think I will have time to write a MP3 player. I'll supply the sound functions through EPSILON and hopefully the community will write some music players with it.

I am glad you are back man, you have so much understanding of the hardware and are a very gifted programmer :). One question though, in the new SDK suite you are going to build, will it be possible to run an application or do we have to test it on the calc, because i really value the possibility of testdriving on the pc (sometimes every piece of code i add is tested)

Thanks, if people will help me out writing the new IDE, emulation on the PC is possible. I'll try if I can, but there might be a big chance of not having emulation.

And also a basic question, while i am at it, How do i cleanly prevent multiple commands by one keystroke now i use

if(Is_key_Down(KEY_CTRL_EXE)==1){ do stuf; }
if(Is_key_Down(KEY_CTRL_EXE)==1){} <- empty routine

anyhow, great great great, i am thrilled of anticipation ;)

I'm not sure if I completely understand. What you could do is add a delay between the statements or use a variable and make it act like a switch to let one statement pass and the other one slip by.

#5 Guest_kucalc clone_*

Guest_kucalc clone_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:44 AM

Holy s#!t this is amazing!!!!!!!!!! I want to turn my calc into a ipod!!!!! :D :D :D :D Keepp up the good work kukalc your a fricken genius

#6 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0, CP 300, CP 330, nSpire, TI 89, FX 5800

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

3d with hidden lines removed is better. Kucalc, you know asm, you can make a fast library for draw 3d objects with hidden lines removed. :unsure:

#7 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

3d with hidden lines removed is better. Kucalc, you know asm, you can make a fast library for draw 3d objects with hidden lines removed. :unsure:

So you come popping around here when I do something cool to provoke a fight? I suggest you leave this thread, because I usually get blamed for things that you start...

If you ran the program on a real fx-9860, you would see that the cube is not the main, cool thing.

#8 eew

eew

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

• Calculators:
    recent calculators:
    Casio fx-9860G SD
    Casio fx-82ms

old calculators:
    HP 41C (1979)
    TI SR-40 (1976)
    Commodore [unkown type] (-+1970)

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

This sounds great, after my exams (next wednesday) I' ill take al look at it. Now I have to keep my calculator clean.

#9 Menno

Menno

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio 880P
    Casio Graph 25+
    Casio fx-9860g sd

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

So you come popping around here when I do something cool to provoke a fight? I suggest you leave this thread, because I usually get blamed for things that you start...

Kucalc please ignore him :) (at least theats the only way i can cope with him...jealousy is such a bitch ;) )

i am so glad you are back....

#10 Guest_dfiad77pro_*

Guest_dfiad77pro_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

hello kucalc nice job!!!!
if you want visual studio i can give you an msdn link for download it fastly en legally
dfi

#11 samy

samy

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

• Calculators:
    graph 100; graph85

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

sound amazing!!!
keep it like that!

#12 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

Kucalc please ignore him :) (at least theats the only way i can cope with him...jealousy is such a bitch ;) )

i am so glad you are back....

Eh, thanks Menno. :D

hello kucalc nice job!!!!
if you want visual studio i can give you an msdn link for download it fastly en legally
dfi

Hey dfi, I already found my copy of Visual Studio. Do you want to help me with my project?

sound amazing!!!
keep it like that!

Thanks. :D

#13 Guest_dfiad77pro_*

Guest_dfiad77pro_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

hi,
i'know the .net framework and the visual studio environnement, but if i can help you,
it is only for the software design, my mathematics skills are not high, I currently can't work on emulator...
I can do the source highlighting peerhaps....
Dfi

#14 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:59 AM

@dfi: That's ok. :D

Ok, it's going to be definite that the next release of EPSILON will have serial port access. This can open up new things like calc-to-calc communications and multiplayer gaming, music and sound, or maybe even hooking up a RF transceiver to the serial port allowing wireless communications.

Here's a quick demo of the port being used to create a square wave electronic siren: Download Here

I wanna do something like this though on my calculator: :D Look at the guy on the right who looks bored, but he has a cool modified pocket calculator.

#15 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

bjrisby and oxinabox accounts of what SIREN does at CasioKingdom seem to conflict. I've been thinking about it. If you reset your calculator by pressing the button in the back, the serial port becomes disabled so the program won't work anymore. I find however that if you go to the LINK menu, make sure the Cable Type is USB, and press F2 for RECV. While it says Receiving, pressing AC to exit and run the program again , it should now work.

I reupdated the SIREN program now, you can download it again if you want. Pressing the LEFT and RIGHT replay buttons allows you to change the frequency. Holding these buttons creates a cool outer space sound. It's still the same link, look in my previous post for the link.

#16 thomatos

thomatos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860 G

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

I don't hear any sound, and the .mp3 file name is invalid, and i think, when I "rename" it, the file is not detected by your prog.

Maybe I didn't understand how fonctionn your prog, could you explain all things we have to do to hear something with you SIREN prog ?

Sorry for my english :unsure:

#17 eew

eew

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

• Calculators:
    recent calculators:
    Casio fx-9860G SD
    Casio fx-82ms

old calculators:
    HP 41C (1979)
    TI SR-40 (1976)
    Commodore [unkown type] (-+1970)

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

I think you have to modify a speaker cable.

#18 Manuel Naranjo

Manuel Naranjo

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:18 PM

As some of you may have known my hardware projects have been put on hold. Well, now I'm back working on it and got some stuff figured out. Check out my demonstration:

Very nice really, It runs pretty fast I like it. Those fade in/out effects are very nice a bit slow but very nice.

Anyways, I'm thinking of creating a 3D library to be included with EPSILON (hence, there is a rotating 3D cube in the demo). I don't know if that would be very useful though and if many people will use it. What do you think?

I think this could be very useful, specially to make a very fast 3d functions drawer.

* Load add-ins directly from the SD card and perhaps use the SD slot for RAM

I think this is the most interesting thing you can do right now :D

* New IDE - If I can find my Visual Studio DVD, I'll try writing a SDK more powerful than the one Casio supplied us. It'll have features like code highlighting, updated compiling tool-chain and can give the user the option of creating their own compiled libraries (like how EPSILON is a library). If anyone is interested in writing a new IDE with me, PM or email me.

Hey what a great idea but... Why using a so awful IDE check Eclipse, it's much better. You don't need .NET or Java for this kind of things, C/C++ would be much better.

Another project I'm working on is a software shell for the fx-9860. Using an updated API that would be included in a future version of EPSILON, users can make programs that will be compatible with the shell. Within the shell, numerous programs could be launched simultaneously allowing probably real-time multitasking now that we can access any part of the memory. :D

What do you mean with Shell? The Run-Mat menu?

Cheers,
Manuel

#19 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

I don't hear any sound, and the .mp3 file name is invalid, and i think, when I "rename" it, the file is not detected by your prog.

It's reverse, SIREN generates what you hear in the MP3. You'll need a adapter (2.5MM to 3.5MM) or if you have your calc-to-calc cable and a set of headphones, plug the calc-to-calc cable into your calculator and wear your headphones. Run the program and make the ends the cables touch each other. You should hear something now.

Hey what a great idea but... Why using a so awful IDE check Eclipse, it's much better. You don't need .NET or Java for this kind of things, C/C++ would be much better.

I don't think I understand what you are saying. I'm not using Visual Studio as the new IDE for my SDK, I'm using it to write a new IDE. Visual Studio contains Visual C++, Java, Basic and C#.

What do you mean with Shell? The Run-Mat menu?

TI's have a shell for their calculators. A popular one is MirageOS: http://www.ticalc.or.../139/13949.html

A better explanation would be how Windows 3.1 is a shell that runs over DOS. A shell gives the programmer better abilities. But the EPSILON shell will be a lot better, allowing multitasking and such. The shell will require however that the programmer knows C++ to use the API, and I'm afraid that will turn people off.

#20 thomatos

thomatos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860 G

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

Ok thank you, i'll try it !

#21 Manuel Naranjo

Manuel Naranjo

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

I don't think I understand what you are saying. I'm not using Visual Studio as the new IDE for my SDK, I'm using it to write a new IDE. Visual Studio contains Visual C++, Java, Basic and C#.

There's no need to write everything from scratch :D. Besides I doubt you had paid for the Visual Studio 2007 ;). Eclipse is a very nice IDE (www.eclipse.org) that can be used to interact to almost any available language because it supports plugging. What we will need in this case is writing a plugging that let us compile, debug, run and maybe upload code for the 9860. BTW Andreas was able to make lots of advance in the 9860 Transfer code, now we can upload some small files to the calc (256 bytes). I think this can be run in Windows.

TI's have a shell for their calculators. A popular one is MirageOS: http://www.ticalc.or.../139/13949.html

Nice

A better explanation would be how Windows 3.1 is a shell that runs over DOS. A shell gives the programmer better abilities. But the EPSILON shell will be a lot better, allowing multitasking and such. The shell will require however that the programmer knows C++ to use the API, and I'm afraid that will turn people off.

I'm afraid you are confused :D. DOS has a shell, the command line interface is the shell. For example under Unix systems you have Bash as a shell.

Cheers,
Manuel

#22 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

Besides I doubt you had paid for the Visual Studio 2007 ;)

Of course I didn't pay for Visual Studio 2007. Who said I had the new Visual Studio 2007? I said I had Visual Studio, I didn't specify which version I had, I could have a older version that I got for sale off eBay or something like that... :lol: Come on: http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

What we will need in this case is writing a plugging that let us compile, debug, run and maybe upload code for the 9860. BTW Andreas was able to make lots of advance in the 9860 Transfer code, now we can upload some small files to the calc (256 bytes).

That's good to hear. :D 256 is halfway of a add-in header (512 bytes).

I'm afraid you are confused :D. DOS has a shell, the command line interface is the shell. For example under Unix systems you have Bash as a shell.

We are both correct in a way, but there is more. Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_Shell and http://en.wikipedia....MS-DOS_shell.3F.

Windows 3.1 and older versions of Windows are not a complete operating system, but is a GUI-based shell (WIN.COM) with that replaces the command-based shell (COMMAND.COM).

#23 Manuel Naranjo

Manuel Naranjo

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

Of course I didn't pay for Visual Studio 2007. Who said I had the new Visual Studio 2007? I said I had Visual Studio, I didn't specify which version I had, I could have a older version that I got for sale off eBay or something like that... :lol:

Sure. But let's be honest VS sucks :D

That's good to hear. :D 256 is halfway of a add-in header (512 bytes).

Yep indeed

We are both correct in a way, but there is more. Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_Shell and http://en.wikipedia....MS-DOS_shell.3F.

Windows 3.1 and older versions of Windows are not a complete operating system, but is a GUI-based shell (WIN.COM) with that replaces the command-based shell (COMMAND.COM).

Ok let's leave it here, I got your point with which shell you were talking about :D. I thought you were talking about something else. Sure Windows or the X Server under <{GNULINUX}> is a shell ;), I just wanted to tell you that Win 98 wasn't the shell for DOS, because DOS has it's own shell. Actually Windows until XP was a very awful hybrid.... Well actually it still is, but .....

#24 DarkDead

DarkDead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-7400G | Casio fx-9860G SD

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:20 AM

Hi. Congratulations kucalc, you're making notable progresses and letting the community excited.
I've tried Siren and I get a very low sound. I can't hear it with phones only with a 2.1 system. Is it supposed to be like that? I use an adapter that works fine with my mp3 player and I tried with new batteries.
Every time I press a key outside the Siren add-in I get a loud "click". This "clicks" aren't a nice thing to the mp3 project. It would become really annoying when listening to music while doing anything else in the calc. You could all check if you get them also.

#25 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

I've tried Siren and I get a very low sound. I can't hear it with phones only with a 2.1 system. Is it supposed to be like that? I use an adapter that works fine with my mp3 player and I tried with new batteries.

Lol, a Dolby 2.1 system? I hear the sound ok with my little earphones. Try using a transistor to amplify the signal. Have you tried doing what I said in my previous post?: "bjrisby and oxinabox accounts of what SIREN does at CasioKingdom seem to conflict. I've been thinking about it. If you reset your calculator by pressing the button in the back, the serial port becomes disabled so the program won't work anymore. I find however that if you go to the LINK menu, make sure the Cable Type is USB, and press F2 for RECV. While it says Receiving, pressing AC to exit and run the program again , it should now work."

Every time I press a key outside the Siren add-in I get a loud "click". This "clicks" aren't a nice thing to the mp3 project. It would become really annoying when listening to music while doing anything else in the calc. You could all check if you get them also.

Do you mean you hear "clicks" when not running the add-in? It may be because I didn't shut off the serial port....

#26 DarkDead

DarkDead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-7400G | Casio fx-9860G SD

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Lol, a Dolby 2.1 system?

I think so, two speakers and a subwoofer.

I hear the sound ok with my little earphones.

Well I tried with 5 different earphones and nothing. I could only slightly hear it on Nokia ones.

Have you tried doing what I said in my previous post?

Yes, if I don't I can hear the sound (on the 2.1 system) but I can't change the frequency with the replay keys.

Do you mean you hear "clicks" when not running the add-in?

Yes, and they're louder after a reset.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users