3 replies to this topic

#1 Marlon

Marlon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 08:30 AM

Hey all.
I just bought a Casio Algebra FX 2.0 plus from ebay. It arrived , was working , but there was a moving part inside it. I got curious and opened inside it. I saw the moving part was a capacitor ( a small black cylinder, 3 things written on it, "10V" - "1000micro farad" - "SMG"). It was probably thorn apart from the calculator while shipping.

From what I learned at school , capacitors are for holding electricity like a battery. My question is how is it possible that the calculator works perfectly without this part? Anyone knows what is the use of such capacitor in a calculator? Do you think there will be problems in the future? Should I just solder it in its place?

Thanks for your helps.

#2 BiTwhise

BiTwhise

Casio Overgod

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Programming, games, consoles, martial arts

• Calculators:
    FX9700WE, CFX9970G, AFX2.0, Classpad 300

Posted 28 March 2003 - 08:41 AM

I dropped my calc to the floor once, after that something has been moving around inside *heh*

Since it still works perfectly, I never cared to open it though.. (assumed it was just a piece of "useless" plastic the fell lose)

#3 Exca

Exca

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 09:54 AM

Capacitors are used to deliver higher amount of energy than what would be available straight from batteries.

The use of it in a calculator is propably to make the lcd screen turn on (only quessing here).

#4 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 28 March 2003 - 09:20 PM

Yes you should try to solder it in its place if possible else you may meet with strange problems in the future...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users