Why CP forum seems so deserted->!
New topic are less, new App. and program are less...why->

#2 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

I don't know exactly, but here where I live it's summer and there's no school for a couple of months until September.

It's not only us, the TI forums (ex: Omnimaga shut down) and HP forums have little activity also. In fact, I was talking with a member of the TI community a while ago and he said that we (CASIO community) are a lot more active than the TI community. Look at ticalc.org and read their comments. They've had to post fake news in order to keep the community alive.

CASIO, HP and TI really need to build something innovative or else someone else is going to do it. It's hard for graphing calculators to compete against devices such as PSP and laptops.

#3 McCoy

McCoy

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:play around with figures.

• Calculators:
    CFX - 9850 GB PLUS,Classpad 330, TI-89 Titanium.

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

Why CP forum seems so deserted->!
New topic are less, new App. and program are less...why->

mmm oh I don't know but how about if some users of the cp forum think they're sometimes mocked(I know mock is a strong word but it's the only one i've on my mind right now) when they post questions that may seem obvious to us->.For example, I think the way I response(my attitude) to a question posted may determine whether or not the one who posted it will keep posting again.Well, I'm not saying it's true that it happens(that those who post are not treated well), and yes of course it has never happened to me every time I put up a post......but I'm just giving an opinion on this (i.e it may be an alternative 'theory' that provides a possible explanation as to why postings get less and less frequent). The guys here on cp forum are great as far as I know but personnel experiences here may be different I guess.

#4 Behnoud

Behnoud

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

• Calculators:
    CP 300+ OS2.2/
    FX 3600 pv/
    FX 115 s/
    FX 602P

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

:nod: :nod:

#5 Kilburn

Kilburn

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Blah

• Calculators:
    FX-7500 G
    ClassPad 300

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

Duh, the forum isn't deserted, it's simply dead. Actually, the only active user here is our dear McCoy, bumping old threads with useless random comments, making us think there is still life here while there is not.

Anyway, what's the point of contributing if there is nobody to enjoy your contributions?

#6 McCoy

McCoy

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

oh my...well thank you.your comment is full of wisdom! My friend said i gotta thank you for your comment about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:greengrin:

#7 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

Anyway, what's the point of contributing if there is nobody to enjoy your contributions->

even if posting is less frequent, the number of visits hasn't drop at all, we always have an average of 7,000 visitors each month.
See http://www.2072produ...w.casiocalc.org

Note that these stats are only counting real visitors that download images, each visitor is counted only once per day (IP and cookies are checked to make sure of that)

#8 Behnoud

Behnoud

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

• Calculators:
    CP 300+ OS2.2/
    FX 3600 pv/
    FX 115 s/
    FX 602P

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

Duh, the forum isn't deserted, it's simply dead. Actually, the only active user here is our dear McCoy, bumping old threads with useless random comments, making us think there is still life here while there is not.

Anyway, what's the point of contributing if there is nobody to enjoy your contributions->

oh my...well thank you.your comment is full of wisdom! My friend said i gotta thank you for your comment about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:greengrin:

Dear mcCoy
He (Kilburn) didn't mean that, he was just saying you are very active compared to other. B)

#9 McCoy

McCoy

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

He (Kilburn) didn't mean that, he was just saying you are very active compared to other. B)
[/quote]

Yea I know.I was just thanking him.I didn't mean what you think i meant too otherwise his comment has something that worth noting! hehehe.
Have good one.

#10 Guest_hellas1_*

Guest_hellas1_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I've read from Kucalc that TI, Casio and HP need something to compete with laptops.

I just don't see how they could? TI's Nspire is kind of like a computer. Casio's Classpad is like a computer.
HP's 50g (whatever) calculator however is lacking and is not like the new tech being presented by TI or Casio.

That, IMHO, will not happen. IF it does, all calculators will have to have a built in keyboard or keyboard soft menu.

In regards to Casio's 3.04, Does anyone have a leak regarding its' release?
I've done all I know how to.

Maybe Casio can make the next OS less jagged than the current Classpad 330 3.03 OS?
That would make things a LOT better, I think to see what you are doing much more clearly.

hellas1

#11 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:12 AM

I think it's possible for calculators to compete against laptops. Not technologically, but by it's usefulness and the "cool factor".

Calculators today don't have the same type of appeal and "coolness" back 5-10 years ago. 5-10 years, Palm's and laptops were very much out of reach for a middle or high school student. PSP, Nitendo DS, iPod's, PS3, XBox 360 didn't exist 10 years ago. Within the last couple of years, a burst of new electronic devices and technology have overshadowed the graphing calculator.

The fact is the graphing calculators that CASIO, HP and TI (should I even include Sharp?) are building are just not cool when compared to the devices we have today. We are so dependent on them to fix problems such as CAS or wish they would add more features to make your CASIO more like the TI or vice versa. I see questions on forums such as, "Can they fix the CAS?" or "Why isn't there a SDK for my TI-Nspire? It sucks!"

To bring the "coolness" back into calculators, CASIO, HP and TI need to ditch the whole "faster is better" idea. An 160MHz processor is basically useless with a horrible 128x64 LCD. Instead, they need to develop a calculator that's more open to freedom and development (examples that are opposite of this are TI-NSpire, and that's why TI-Nspire isn't "cool"). A calculator that has a perfect balance between it's peripherals and software. Making the community having to "hack" the calc is just going to frustrate the community (examples are the TI-Nspire, CFX and AFX communities). With a calculator that's more open to freedom and development, you can expect better things such as a better CAS, cool games and awesome terrific software. And the best thing is, you don't have to depend on CASIO, HP and TI to fix the problems. Freedom will attract the programmer and the programmer will write the software. Software will attract the average user. And with a average user, he/she will attract a community.

Unfortunately, CASIO, HP and TI are corporations and they probably don't have much interest in making you, the student, happy. They're busy developing other things like those devices I mentioned above like laptops, cameras, etc. Someone else besides CASIO, HP and TI will have to build a better calculator with the "cool" factor.

#12 Behnoud

Behnoud

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

• Calculators:
    CP 300+ OS2.2/
    FX 3600 pv/
    FX 115 s/
    FX 602P

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

I agree with Kucalc.
I don't know why they spend all their effort on cameras and other gadgets!
(Honestly :twisted: I know, they can earn more money from them.)
they got very useful experience from those fields but they don't use it in calculators any way.
they can use Color LCD, rechargeable battery, SDHC slots in their calc. and lighten them more....
but all of above are just big ambitious.

#13 Guest_Guest_mccoy_*_*

Guest_Guest_mccoy_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

(Honestly :twisted: I know, they can earn more money from them.)

Yes...profitability is the key. Their aim,just like any other company's, is to make money.So spending their time on calculators wouldn't help them much.And Kucalc was right when he said 'they(casio) ... don't have much interest in making you, the student, happy".They (casio) want to make themselves happy by spending their time and tech on sometthing that will make them hit profitability fast and furious(...maybe not).

#14 betoe

betoe

UCF Spanish Translator

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, SW development, automotive. Swim->bike->run

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0 (R.I.P.), Classpad 300

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

As stats presented by 2072 says, maybe graphing calculators are still being used with the same frequency that before; But the developing is being focused on other kind of programming.

Today we have a lot of distractions, like advanced cell phones, stuff like facebook or myspace.

There are people that says that new generations, with a lot of technology on hand, have the risk of reduce their reasoning capability. Its not good to have everything without effort.

#15 Behnoud

Behnoud

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

• Calculators:
    CP 300+ OS2.2/
    FX 3600 pv/
    FX 115 s/
    FX 602P

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

All of us, (inrelevant to our skills and efforts) need Color LCD, fast performance, enhanced GUI, reinforced CAS and so on
If anyone wants to try/test his effort, he can use a abacus to do an integral :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users