#1 rogal

rogal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Calculators:
    fx 603p

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

I've said before that the FX-9860G is one of the best non-CAS calculators out there, and I still hold this opinion. The excellent display and keyboard alone are compelling reasons to buy this calculator. It's also fast and fairly easy to use. However, choosing a calculator at this level is pretty complicated.

When my daughter went to high school, she was required to have a graphing calculator. The 'suggested' model was a TI 83. I looked over the curriculum and bought her a Casio FX-7400 for several reasons. Of course cost came to mind. But the main reason was this- I was afraid that if she had a TI 83 (like most of the class) she would not actually learn the math. Rather, she would be taught how to get the answers on the TI, and nothing else. As it was, since she had to translate her lessons into Casio-speak, she actually had to understand the math.

When she went to college, she was required to have a TI 83 Plus or better. (TI Plus SE, TI 84, etc...) And things went exactly as I feared they might in high school. She was taught how to get the answers from the calculator, and the underlying mathmatic principles suffered. Worse, since she was given keystroke-by-keystroke solutions, she really didn't even learn to use the calculator itself. She still has only a vague idea how to use her TI 83 Plus.

So, here's my two cents, for what it's worth...

If you want to truly learn the math, buy the Casio. It is a very fast, capable machine with superior ergonomics.

If you want to learn general programming, buy the TI. The on-board programming language, which is much like BASIC, is superior to the on-board language of the Casio. (Though, the version in the FX-9860 GII closes that gap a bit, and the GII's OS can be hacked into the FX-9860 G SD.) Also, the software for transferring files to your PC for storage and editing, as well as downloading programs and data from other sources such as the 'net, is far superior and reliable than the same software for the Casio. If you use a Macintosh computer, the software is excellent for the TI. There is no software from Casio for the FX-9860 series.

If you want to learn more advanced programming, it is a toss-up. Though there is far more 'stuff' out there for the TI, the Casio has a good, active user community. So, if you want to venture into the depths of either calculator's OS, as long as you don't use a Macintosh, either machine is a good choice.

If you use a scientific calculator heavily every day as I do, and you use a PC, go with the Casio. The superior keyboard alone is enough reason. The main reason I use my TI 84 Plus SE as my everyday calculator is because it interfaces so well with my Mac for data storage and program development. The keyboard, however, is quite inferior to the Casio's, and if you're working with a calculator for an entire workday, that can make a big difference.

If you want a machine on which to play games, I cannot give you any input there. I have not ever used any calculator for games.

I hope my input has helped you a bit. Always consider the price differences as well, of course, but think about what you'll want to do with the calculator now as well as in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users