• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 penguinsfly

penguinsfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

I need a graphing calculator for high school and I'm trying to decide between a fx-9860gii or a ti-84 plus/ ti-84 plus silver edition.

Can you please explain their differences?

And are casio graphing calculators similar to texas instruments? (If my teacher is explaining how to do something on a ti-84, will I be able to follow along on a fx-9860gii?)

Thanks!

#2 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

Welcome to UCF! We look forward to seeing you in the forums. If you haven't already done so, why don't you introduce yourself here: http://www.casiocalc...?showtopic=5677

The TI-84 Plus Silver has the same functions as the FX-9860GII. Because the OS's are different, you may not be able to follow along with some of teacher's instructions, however, a general knowledge of the operating system will in most cases suffice. In fact, many math and science books have help/tips for TI and Casio calculators, so you should be all right. Of course, if you can't understand/figure out how to do something, you can post the question here.

If you do decide to go with casio, I would recommend buying the FX-9750GII which is 20-30 dollars cheaper than the FX-9860, and hacking it with the hack explained here: http://prizmwiki.omn...860GII_Tutorial

#3 penguinsfly

penguinsfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:46 AM

Just to clarify, if I hack the 9750, will I get the exact same functions as the 9860? And is there any chance of "bricking" the calculator if I hack it?

Also, casio's website says that the 9750 has just 26kb of memory. Does that mean I can't add in extra programs? If so, do you think the extra memory on the 9860 is worth the 20-30 dollars more?

Thanks again!

#4 jinzihao

jinzihao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

Just to clarify, if I hack the 9750, will I get the exact same functions as the 9860? And is there any chance of "bricking" the calculator if I hack it?

Also, casio's website says that the 9750 has just 26kb of memory. Does that mean I can't add in extra programs? If so, do you think the extra memory on the 9860 is worth the 20-30 dollars more?

Thanks again!

Hacking a 9750 is really safe, you won't brick your 9750 as long as you follow the instructions. I have already hacked my 9750 easily.
A hacked 9750 is equal to a 9860 except the backlight. 9750 has 64KB "main memory" and 1.5MB "storage memory", which is equal to 9860's. In my opinion, it's no need to choose a 9860 since a hacked 9750 can do everything that a 9860 can do.

#5 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

yes. you get exactly the same amount of memory and all the functions. Like jinzihao said, all your missing out on is the backlight and SD card slot. I think that you dont need either, unless you use your calc as a 1 speaker mp3 player (There is an add-in that does that, but like i said, it only uses one speaker)

So, no, I dont think the fx-9860 is worth the 20 bucks.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users