Photo
- - - - -

Possible To Include Units In Calculations On Prizm Fx-cg10 ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chrco

chrco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm FX-CG10

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

On the Prizm FX-CG10, can I include units in the calculations? For example, can I enter:

(10 newtons)*(.25 meters)

and have it return:

.25 N*m

or can I enter:

(3 kg)*(2 m/s)

and have it return:

6 (kg*m)/s

If not, are there other graphing calculators that will allow this? I believe I recall a classmate saying that his calculator will allow him to do this and it helps him keep units straight in problems.

Thank you.

Edited by chrco, 26 December 2011 - 06:24 AM.

#2 HabanR

HabanR

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

On the Prizm FX-CG10, can I include units in the calculations? For example, can I enter:

(10 newtons)*(.25 meters)

and have it return:

.25 N*m

or can I enter:

(3 kg)*(2 m/s)

and have it return:

6 (kg*m)/s

If not, are there other graphing calculators that will allow this? I believe I recall a classmate saying that his calculator will allow him to do this and it helps him keep units straight in problems.

Thank you.

No, Casio is very poor and limited calculator. It even can't include a physical constant into a calculation...

#3 chrco

chrco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm FX-CG10

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Thanks HabanR. This is an ability I would like to have. Can other graphing calculators do this? If so, do you know which ones, or what the functionality is called?

#4 noname11

noname11

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

If you have the Conversion add-in installed, you can use this in Casio-Basic programs.
Have a look at <span class=OPTN' /> / <span class=F6' /> / <span class=F1' />.

#5 HabanR

HabanR

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

If you have the Conversion add-in installed, you can use this in Casio-Basic programs.
Have a look at <span class=OPTN' /> / <span class=F6' /> / <span class=F1' />.

Your proposal solves only value conversion between different units but definitely not calculations with units. By calculation with units I mean e.g. 2[ms^-2] * 3[s] equals to 6[ms^-1].
Hewlet Packard calculators can do this e.g. HP50G see http://h20000.www2.h...6/c00748646.pdf
page 3-11

#6 TovAre

TovAre

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-991CW
    fx-9860GII SD
    fx-9700-GE

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

No, Casio is very poor and limited calculator. It even can't include a physical constant into a calculation...

Physics isn't about cooking units and it's probably faster to type in 9 digits for the speed of light than to hunt down a constant in some sub-menu.

The Casio is mostly limited to the domain of mathematics and I think that's OK for a calculator :-)

(I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement, it would have been awesome if domain specific add-in's had more space and had been better integrated)

#7 HabanR

HabanR

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Physics isn't about cooking units and it's probably faster to type in 9 digits for the speed of light than to hunt down a constant in some sub-menu.

I agree, but 9860G is also programmable calculator and using constants directly as atomic objects saves memory, it's safer and more readable...

The Casio is mostly limited to the domain of mathematics and I think that's OK for a calculator :-)

Can Casio compute vector dot product? Can it compute FFT etc. ?

(I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement, it would have been awesome if domain specific add-in's had more space and had been better integrated)

There is only room for complete rebuild of their OS.

#8 TovAre

TovAre

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-991CW
    fx-9860GII SD
    fx-9700-GE

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Can Casio compute vector dot product? Can it compute FFT etc. ?

I've never tried to enter those types of problems on my calc, do you have any specific cases that's difficult to enter ?

(I'm guessing a particular flavor of FFT would require some casio BASIC).

PS: A full rewrite would have done the calc some good. They could do an amazonesque(*) policy of making every feature a public API-call and perhapse introduce some modern concepts in programming without being verbose doing it)

(*) Apparently jeff bezos told everyone to write all internal software in a way that could work as an external web service, or else they'd get fired :-)

Edited by TovAre, 30 December 2011 - 09:13 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users