Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft And Such (Split From "introduce Yourself")

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'm mainly against the "visual" part. (And the microsoft bit)

What??? :blink:
Microsoft's "Q" and "Visual Version 6" parts were the most easy-to-use languages many people began programming with. What causes you say this?

#2 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

What??? :blink:
Microsoft's "Q" and "Visual Version 6" parts were the most easy-to-use languages many people began programming with. What causes you say this?

I'm a firm believer that microsoft is the root of all software evil. The other root is hollywood, and that's for any other media. Second, try using TI or Casio Basic. Much easier, because of the simplicity of the system (plus it's distinct from a real computer)

#3 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Not all software all evil. VB6 was a great piece of software. Microsoft is still supporting its libraries after 14 years, and still plans to continue supporting it.

Microsoft and other $'ish companies may be evils (really!), but they played a big role in advancing the hardware and software. Remember, it was Microsoft that separated software distribution from hardware; before Microsoft (and the others) hardware manufactured by a company could only run the proprietary software made by that company.

#4 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Not all software all evil. VB6 was a great piece of software. Microsoft is still supporting its libraries after 14 years, and still plans to continue supporting it.

Microsoft and other $'ish companies may be evils (really!), but they played a big role in advancing the hardware and software. Remember, it was Microsoft that separated software distribution from hardware; before Microsoft (and the others) hardware manufactured by a company could only run the proprietary software made by that company.

You do realize that bill gates created exactly one piece of software: Altair Basic. Everything else he stole from others. MS-DOS is QDOS with a couple extra features. Windows is a poor copy of What Apple and Sun did. The only reason that microsoft still exists today, is because Digital Reaserch turned IBM down. (Though to predict what CP/M would have morphed into is problematic)

#5 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, well, Apple is bad too. Overpriced and inferior. Plus, its restrictive (think iPhone).

And, at least in my eyes, <{GNULINUX}>
Spoiler
> Windows > Apple.

#6 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, well, Apple is bad too. Overpriced and inferior. Plus, its restrictive (think iPhone).

And, at least in my eyes, <{GNULINUX}>

Spoiler
> Windows > Apple.

9000? Anyway, I used to think that, but now it's linux>OS X>windows. This is mainly because windows is worse than I thought, looking in from the outside.

#7 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Ah, well, I still think apple's worse because of their prices.

#8 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

osx is worse than windows in my opinion, it's a bad fork of freebsd with a useless window 'manager'... Just look at the 'Finder' for an example. Windows' Explorer is a thousand times more practical (I have to work with osx and Windows daily so I can tell)
Moreover Windows Xp SP3 and/or seven are more stable than OSX. BSODs are a thing of the past (given you don't have a faulty power supply or bad hardware). I often see the OSXs I use at work BSOD-like whilst our windows stations never crashes...
The windows 7 I have at home never crashes either and I never turn my computer off, I just have to restart it every two weeks to apply windows updates...

I don't know much about <{GNULINUX}>, I tried to use it a while ago but since I was spending more time playing the sys admin than actually using it I went back to Windows.

#9 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

I think <{GNULINUX}> has become much more user-friendly and more compatible with other OS's in the last 10 years.

I have used WinXP SP3 for 5 years and never had it crash on me. I now have <{GNULINUX}> and the main thing I like about it is the speed. Even using Unity I get 1-2 times more free RAM.

I had 2GB Virtual Memory on XP. I now have 512MB of swap with ubuntu.

#10 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

You do realize that bill gates created exactly one piece of software: Altair Basic. Everything else he stole from others... The only reason that microsoft still exists today, is because Digital Reaserch turned IBM down. (Though to predict what CP/M would have morphed into is problematic)

Man, you're too tough on Microsoft! They couldn't get this far if their products were crap. They did try on their own. As a thief, Bill Gates was so smart to run and extend his company.

Moreover Windows Xp SP3 and/or seven are more stable than OSX. BSODs are a thing of the past (given you don't have a faulty power supply or bad hardware).

Neither <{GNULINUX}> nor OSX nor Windows are not what they where a couple of years ago. :)
OSX is focusing on simplicity and Windows is going towards simplicity too (they're killing their more experienced users though <_< ). If 'XP' was past, then I agree BSODs are a thing of the past (conflicting drivers could easily crash it :( )
As a side note, on my previous computer with a faulty power supply AND bad hardware :greengrin: , Windows XP was the operating system I could use almost safely. <{GNULINUX}> kept developing file system and memory errors.

#11 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Yeah I think that Microsoft has learned and accumulated a strong experience from fucking things up for so many years. They are finally developing an effective and robust OS...

#12 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

I really do not hate microsoft very much, but I do have a bone to pick with apple because they use inferior hardware, have restrictive OSs, and on top of all that they make you pay twice to three times as much as any other company. I also think that people should be allowed to use any OS they want, on any hardware they want. Apparently, apple thinks they have the best hardware and the only hardware worth running their OSs. <.<

#13 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

I really do not hate microsoft very much, but I do have a bone to pick with apple because they use inferior hardware, have restrictive OSs, and on top of all that they make you pay twice to three times as much as any other company. I also think that people should be allowed to use any OS they want, on any hardware they want. Apparently, apple thinks they have the best hardware and the only hardware worth running their OSs. <.<

DOWN WITH THE TYRANTS!!! UP WITH THE FREE WORLD!!! ANARCHY!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

#14 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

DOWN WITH THE TYRANTS!!! UP WITH THE FREE WORLD!!! ANARCHY!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I agree with that statement minus the anarchy part :D

#15 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Tyrant versus rebel!

Posted Image

#16 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Get a grip... :D

I do not believe in anarchy. period.

#17 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Get a grip... :D

I do not believe in anarchy. period.

Neither do I. I believe in conflicting political ideals.

#18 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Neither do I. I believe in conflicting political ideals.

Oh ok.

#19 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

You do realize that bill gates created exactly one piece of software: Altair Basic. Everything else he stole from others. MS-DOS is QDOS with a couple extra features. Windows is a poor copy of What Apple and Sun did. The only reason that microsoft still exists today, is because Digital Reaserch turned IBM down. (Though to predict what CP/M would have morphed into is problematic)

Rereading this thread, I just wanted to get this straight. Bill Gates is bad because he stole software, but Apple constantly stealing from the open-source community isn't bad?

#20 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Billy didn't steal; he legally bought software. He may have used some ideas from other software, but I don't think this is uncommon. Look at the relationship betweem iOS and Android for example.

"He is bad" because he made big, closed-source, successful commercial programs that many people found useful and "addicting" :P anyways.
  • Casimo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users