JCROOT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio FX-115ES Plus

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hello Guys!

I recently bought the new Casio FX-115ES Plus and I was just wondering if by any chance any of you know if this calculator is capable of solving the value of X and Y using {Solve}? I also want to know if it possible to get more than one solution, if so, how? Perhaps I am not operating the calculator the right way? Let me give you an example:

The equation that I am trying to solve is: 4X^2 + 9Y^2 = 144 but I am only getting the value of X (which is 6 according to the calculator) but it would be nice to also have the value of Y.

This is what I am typing in the calculator: 4x^2+9y^2 {alpha} {calc} = 144 then {Shift} {Calc} then {=}

It will be even nicer if we can get a second solution for the X and Y values but I don't know if is possible.

Here are the integer solutions from the website Wolfram:

Solution 1: X = +-6, Y = 0
Solution 2: X = 0, Y = +-4

#2 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hello Guys!

I recently bought the new Casio FX-115ES Plus and I was just wondering if by any chance any of you know if this calculator is capable of solving the value of X and Y using {Solve}? I also want to know if it possible to get more than one solution, if so, how? Perhaps I am not operating the calculator the right way? Let me give you an example:

The equation that I am trying to solve is: 4X^2 + 9Y^2 = 144 but I am only getting the value of X (which is 6 according to the calculator) but it would be nice to also have the value of Y.

This is what I am typing in the calculator: 4x^2+9y^2 {alpha} {calc} = 144 then {Shift} {Calc} then {=}

It will be even nicer if we can get a second solution for the X and Y values but I don't know if is possible.

Here are the integer solutions from the website Wolfram:

Solution 1: X = +-6, Y = 0
Solution 2: X = 0, Y = +-4

You can't solve for one variable in that equation without knowing the other. Maybe you want to know the zeroes..?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users