21 replies to this topic

#1 Casimo

Casimo

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Do you care about climate change ? Why (not) ?

I think that we have to do something against it because otherwise lots of people, animals and plants will die.
What do you think ?

Edited by Casimo, 06 March 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#2 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I don't really care. I believe that it is simply a cycle.... the earth cools, then it warms then cools, etc. And bad weather/climate change happens periodically too. Not saying I think pollution is good, just saying I dont care about whether cows burp or not.

#3 Casimo

Casimo

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

But the wheather changes/will change a lot - there was not such a gigantic change in the past...

#4 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Eh, I beg to differ. The beginnning of the 20th century was a lot like now.

#5 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Eh, I beg to differ. The beginnning of the 20th century was a lot like now.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Mini_ice_age

#6 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think there are cycles too, however I think these can cause irreversible changes, eg the ice in Northpole may not form even if the temperature goes very low after a period of global warming.

#7 louloux

louloux

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

• Calculators:
    Graph 85 SD
    Graph 35+
    fx-92

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Climat change ? Holy shit, climat has always changed since beginning of the world !

#8 Casimo

Casimo

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

But it never changed as much as in the past years...

#9 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

We actually might cause a premature ice age because of global warming (melting ice->increased freshwater->disrupted ocean currents->glbal cooling), however this is a very bad thing since it is a lot harder to produce food if you farm is under 100 feet of ice...

#10 naib864

naib864

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Minecraft

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I don't really care. I believe that it is simply a cycle.... the earth cools, then it warms then cools, etc. And bad weather/climate change happens periodically too. Not saying I think pollution is good, just saying I dont care about whether cows burp or not.

I think so,too. The temperature hadn't change since the last 15 years, so my opinion is,that the climate change is a big bluff.

#11 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I think so,too. The temperature hadn't change since the last 15 years, so my opinion is,that the climate change is a big bluff.

Posted Image

Yes it has.

#12 Casimo

Casimo

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

And that's just until 8 years ago...

#13 naib864

naib864

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I read it in a newspaper, but it can be false, too...

#14 naib864

naib864

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

My opinion is clear: This "Climate change" is natural!

#15 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

The problem is thus: climate change isn't exciting. Scientists have been saying the exact same things for 20 years. Their models have predicted the same outcome for 20 years. And so the media has not really picked up on this for 20 years, since the theory hasn't really changed (although it may by worse than we thought). The only real change is in the dissenters. This is why we have so many stories about people saying that climate change is false.

The other problem is the apathy of good men. It costs a lot less to ignore climate change in the short term, than it does to do something about it. People may say that it is natural, even so, we must take action.

Exhibit A:

Posted Image

Seawater takes up a lot of the total excess heat, not the atmosphere. This means that you might not feel the change in terms of temperature, but if you lived underwater, you would. This will end up in rising sea levels as over 300 million cubic miles of water expands. This is bad for any of you who live only a few feet above sea level (including the coastal plains). Those of you in the mountains, I have good news: your drive to the beach will soon beome a lot shorter.

Exhibit B:

Posted Image

The rising and falling of CO2 levels corresponds to the ice ages. During an ice age, the CO2 levels rise since there is less plant activity. This causes the earth to warm, which causes ice to melt. In turn, the melting ice brings more plant life which decreases CO2 levels. This allows the earth to cool again. At the moment, we are between ice ages, and by looking at the pattern, about at the point where CO2 levels should be rising because of increased ice cover of the earth. However, we are obviously not in an ice age, and yet the CO2 levels are unnaturally going up, unnaturally high. This occurred during the industrial revolution, which released billions of tons of CO2 into the air, but had no relation to this.

Exhibit C:

Posted Image

This shows the net change in glacier thickness (note that this does not measure the actual thickness, just the change). This shows that just over the past 45 years, glacier thickness has dropped almost 15 meters (50 feet). This has to have been caused by an increase in average temperature. Carbon dioxide had- odly enough- been steadily increasing on concentration for the past 200 years.

#16 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

The problem is thus: climate change isn't exciting. Scientists have been saying the exact same things for 20 years. Their models have predicted the same outcome for 20 years. And so the media has not really picked up on this for 20 years, since the theory hasn't really changed (although it may by worse than we thought). The only real change is in the dissenters. This is why we have so many stories about people saying that climate change is false.

Then why during the 70's were we warned about global cooling, in the 2000's it was global warming, and now that the earth is cooling again, they can't call it global cooling again so they call it global climate change. the models have not been the same for years.

#17 naib864

naib864

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

And this is my opinion to CO2:
I think that the co2 hadn't a so big role, how the politicians suggesting it.Surely, CO2 is doing something with the climate, but I can't imaging, tha CO2 had made this climatic change alone. See: In the history of the earth there are many periods without any ice. So, after an ice age, now a warm period is coming. But maybe it's like the little ice age only a short period, nobody can know this now.

#18 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

also, has anyone thought that distance from the sun could be a factor?

#19 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Then why during the 70's were we warned about global cooling, in the 2000's it was global warming, and now that the earth is cooling again, they can't call it global cooling again so they call it global climate change. the models have not been the same for years.

Global cooling was a conjecture during the 1970s of imminent cooling of the Earth's surface and atmosphere along with a posited commencement of glaciation. This hypothesis had little support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles.

QED

#20 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

QED

not.

Global cooling warming was is a conjecture during the 1970s [[2000s]] of imminent cooling [[heating]] of the Earth's surface and atmosphere along with a posited commencement of glaciation. This hypothesis [[should have]] had little support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward [[upward]] trend of temperatures from the 1940s [[1990s]] to the early 1970s [[2000s]] and press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles.

#21 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

not.

Global cooling warming was is a conjecture during the 1970s [[2000s]] of imminent cooling [[heating]] of the Earth's surface and atmosphere along with a posited commencement of glaciation. This hypothesis [[has large]] support in the scientific community, gaining popular attention due to a combination of a downward [[upward]] trend of temperatures from the 1940s [[1800s]] to the early 1970s [[2000s]].

FTFY

#22 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Since we don't remember our children, they will never forget us.
  • Casimo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users