sammy134

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Calculators:
    Sharp EL-W516X

HP Prime

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

Ive had this problem with the calculator since I bought it. It might be that the calculator does not have enough implemented functions to pull it off or I am missing something. It happens when I am solving for imaginery roots.

Example: y^2 + y^1+y = 0.

I go to mode, and select 6(equation) and than select 2 (quadratic). I put in a = 1, b = 1, c = 1. I get the answer -0.5 +/- 0.866025403i

Now I understand that this is the correct answer thats not my problem. I am currently taking Differential Equations math course and when I am finding the homogenous answer to a solution with complex roots I need to be able to state the answer in FRACTION form. The correct fraction form is SQRT(3)/2. Now normally if I type in SQRT(3)/2 I change between 0.866025403 and SQRT(3)/2. But if I type in 0.866025403 and press =, I cant change to SQRT(3)/2 because its not the exact amount of decimals. I need to be able to give the answer as -0.5 +/ SQRT(3)/2. So that I can use it to give the homogenous answer to the solution being e^-1/2*(c1*cos(SQRT(3)/2) + (c2*sin(SQRT(3)/2). Usually hitting the "change" button rotates between the Fraction form and the decimal form of an answer, but I cant use change button under the equation, quadratic solver. It does nothing when I hit it.

Now my question is, 1) is there anything else that I can do to fix my problem, and 2) if there is nothing I can do, is there a more advanced brand of SHARP that I can buy, maybe one with more implemented fuctions, if that is the problem. Keep in my mind that it still has to be not advanced as a graphing because I need to be able to use it on exams.

Thank you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users