• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 10 December 2002 - 02:20 AM

I was just curious if any one would be interested in a Magic: the gathering simulator for the casio, I am planing on making (In casio basic) one but I probably won't if no one is interesed.

thanks.

#2 Casto Productions

Casto Productions

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

• Calculators:
    TI-83, TI-86, CFX-9850, AFX2.0

Posted 10 December 2002 - 04:16 AM

That would be interesting, but who would you play against? head-to-head on the same calc? and while I don't doubt it's possible, it will be a HUGE basic program simply due to the amount of cards that are out now. And on top of that, card games on the casios are always a little tricky because of making a subroutine to randomly distribute cards, but most card games only use a normal deck of cards (52, 13x of each color), so the randomizer of the cards is possible. Not totally sure how you could do that with Magic cards without repeats in the cards.
Just a few thoughts, would be a fun game though.

#3 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 06:05 AM

casto, what do you understand by a gathering simulator? in german it seems to me that it would be a "Versammlungssimulator".
Be explain it to me! I'm interested in.

bye

rstweb

#4 BiTwhise

BiTwhise

Casio Overgod

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Programming, games, consoles, martial arts

• Calculators:
    FX9700WE, CFX9970G, AFX2.0, Classpad 300

Posted 10 December 2002 - 01:39 PM

That would be interesting, but who would you play against?  head-to-head on the same calc?  and while I don't doubt it's possible, it will be a HUGE basic program simply due to the amount of cards that are out now.  And on top of that, card games on the casios are always a little tricky because of making a subroutine to randomly distribute cards, but most card games only use a normal deck of cards (52, 13x of each color), so the randomizer of the cards is possible.  Not totally sure how you could do that with Magic cards without repeats in the cards. 
Just a few thoughts, would be a fun game though.

It needn't be too big, but ofcourse, taken the fact that any variable on any card will take 9 bytes (in a list), it will naturally occupy some space. To work around this, I suggest you store the deck data in basic files, as list/matrix declerations, and load them on startup (each variable will take less space in ascii than stored in casio variable format)

randomizing cards in basic is quite easy (if the number of cards is less than 256)

fill one or more lists with the card values, fill another list with random numbers, and sort the lists using the random list as the base list

however, for more than 255 cards (stupid casio) you'll have to sneak your way around this, writing a random sort algorithm in basic.. which will be extremely slow

you could ofcourse have predefined decks with no more than 255 cards.. that should work..

anyway, good luck

#5 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 10 December 2002 - 08:43 PM

Rstweb, "Magic: The Gathering" is a game. I think it is role-playing similiar to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons...haven't played it myself though. There is a PC-Version of this game.

http://www.magicthegathering.com

They make a lot of fuss around it. Lots of products.

#6 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:

Posted 11 December 2002 - 12:11 AM

Here's what I have planned:

1) A chageable card list (about 200 presets) which you can edit and add to at will.
2) It would have to be two players, no comp, Ive tried making an AI to play aginst me but it just wont work in BASIC.
3) A random deck generator for playing aginst the computer (AKA: yourself playing both sides).
4) 5 Deck save slots (a 100x5 matrix)
5) each card would be numerically sorted and the prog would locate the description and stats for each card when needed
6) There would be almost no built in rules, the game is so complex it would be vertually impossible
7) This is the current format for a single card:
if o=(card number)
then {(card number), (card type), (card color), (colorless cost), (white cost), (blue cost), (black cost), (green cost), (red cost), (X position), (Y position), (Play index), (power), (toughness)}->List 3
if r=2
then "Card Name"
""
"Card Type/Creature SubType"
""
"Card Text"
IfEnd
IfEnd

As you can see it is very basic, the game itself doesn't know what your card does, you have to take care of that yourself. On the plus side this format makes the game able to accept just about every card ever made (except for some of the weird ones), and even cards you make up.

Basically the program will act like a bord game, it provides you with rules, a space to play, and the peices to play with, but it wont know or care if you cheat. :D

For those of you who play magic, you can input your own decks (up to 100 cards per deck) and practice stratgies wherever you go without the inconvieniance of lugging arround your cards (also, you could try out new ideas before buying the cards), for those of you who dont have cards of your own but are interested in the game this would provide an exelent way to play without spending money on the cards (if you wanted to get more cards there are hundreds of spioler lists on-line that you could get them from).

The idea behind this game was to make it as small as posible while still functional, I still dont know if its going to work like I think it will, Ive tried this before and I always run into problems that the calc just cant get arround, but that was when I was still trying to incorperate an AI capable of competently playing aginst you... Hopefully this will turn out better.

Anyway please post any ideas about this here, I will try to keep a constant update of my progress (or lack there of) here.

#7 Casto Productions

Casto Productions

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 11 December 2002 - 04:23 AM

asm might be more efficient all said and done. Ok, I see what you are saying about the cards and storage and such. It is very self adaptable at that point. Basically then it would almost function as a database for cards more or less, and then the only additional feature would be the "dealing" of the cards. Then the rest would be left up to the players. But then what routines would you use to indicate that a card in the deck is used and cannot be dealt again? And if there are two or more players, then would it have to be on two different calcs, or are you planning on having multiple player support (and therefore two decks of cards) on one calc?

#8 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 11 December 2002 - 04:30 AM

ok, yes there are going to be two players on a single calc, no I dont have any plans for making a multiple calc version (yet), and each deck will be stored in a colum in a matrix. Each card in the deck will be listed individualy, so it wont matter if you have 3 or 30 of the same card.

see what I mean?

by the way here is a screen shot of the play field so far: (next post)

#9 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 11 December 2002 - 04:34 AM

screenshot: Link

#10 Mohamed

Mohamed

UCF Police

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0, PV-S660, fx-570MS

Posted 11 December 2002 - 05:34 AM

1,2,3,4 hmm... 4 posts :o
CrimsonCasio, you are not supposed to post like this. :unsure:
Next time use the EDIT function, and edit your own post. Ok?

#11 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 11 December 2002 - 12:24 PM

Oh, oops didn't even see that there, Ill edit the first post, an admin can deleat the rest it they want.

#12 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 11 December 2002 - 05:42 PM

I did so.

#13 Casto Productions

Casto Productions

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 11 December 2002 - 07:04 PM

Ok, seems like a very workable idea, but I still hesitate about the repeating of the cards. it has been a VERY long time since the last time I've played (probably only four years ago, but that feels like a long time), and half the challenge of making a good deck was balancing the amounts of the different kinds of cards in the deck. If any of the cards can be repeated, then wouldn't that lose the challenge of building the best deck?

maybe I'm wrong though, like I said, been a LONG time since I've played the real thing.

#14 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 11 December 2002 - 07:47 PM

In a standard game of magic a deck can have no more than 4 of the same kind of card, I am currently debating weather or not to limit it to this in my game or just let those who want to play by the rules do so, remember it is going to be very large just with the cards and any ecessive features will make it unreasonably big. However I am considering releasing a 'light' verson and having another one with more built in rules.

Also I am working on a few programs that will generate BASIC code for decks, cards, so on... that way anybody will be able to make there own modifications to the game.

#15 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 12 December 2002 - 08:04 PM

Ok, i ran into a problem in my VB program (see above --^). If anyone could please tell me how to print out a " (quotation mark) from the code I will be very gratefull, I cant seem to figure out how (Im self taught in VB) . :(
-----
never mind, I found a way to do it, I but a single " in a label (not visible) then just used that whenever I needed to. however if there is a better way then please tell me. :D

#16 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 13 December 2002 - 01:40 AM

I finished a beta version of the card creator, if you are interested then you can download it Here

Please post any comments or suggestion here. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users