• 185 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio CFX 9850G (broken),
    Casio CFX 9850GB,
    Casio Algebra FX 2.0 Plus

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:26 PM

http://www.fx-interface.de/e_home.asp

Huh :huh:

What they offer is an USB linkage cable for casio FX/CFX/AFX Graphic calculators, but you can 't use it for add - ins I think.

Btw., 50? is a dear price for it, but not that expensive Casio FA-123 software was a few days ago ;)

#2 Andy.Davies

Andy.Davies

Forum Ghost

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Interests:Age: 18
    Studying: MEng in cybernetics at Reading uni
    Interests: Progaming (VB, VB.Net, C#, Casio Basic)
    Computers UBBD (Using, Building, Breaking & Destroying)
    Gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG)
    Electronics
    Rock Music (Preferably Loud)
    Riley's (Pool & Snooker Bar)
    Driving (Preferably fast)
    Aikedo (Martial Art)

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX 2.0 ROM 1.01, FX9750G

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

It dosent mention about NOT being able to transfer adins as far as i can see...but still ?50 is oney i dont have spare. and if you dont have a serial port (my laptop only has USB 2, Parallel and firewire amoungst others) then you can buy a USB to serial adaptor for about ?25, or you can make one for cheaper!

#3 huhn_m

huhn_m

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1957 posts
  • Interests:Assembler(!!!)
    Computers and Programming
    Operating Systems
    Programmable Calculators
    Maths and everything arround it

• Calculators:
    FX-82SX / AFX 2.0+ (ROM 1.03) / FX 1.0+ (ROM 1.03)

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:19 AM

and how do you select the USB port in FA-123 / Flash100?

#4 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:13 AM

I think that the cable comes with a driver that emules a COM port so there should be no problem :)

#5 Marco

Marco

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio CFX 9850GB,

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

You're right, I found another webpage now were they offer an USB <--> COM adapter with a special driver that "works with virtually all software that uses an RS-232 serial port" (thus emulates it). Didn't know that this was possible at all.

So it really should work with FA-123 / Flash100, too (and this for cheaper than FX Linkkit is; btw maybe the Linkkit doesn't provide it's drivers to other windows software?)

Think I'll buy one :) (cause my Laptop also has no COM anymore)

#6 Andy.Davies

Andy.Davies

Forum Ghost

• [Legends]
  • 1547 posts
    Computers UBBD (Using, Building, Breaking &amp; Destroying)
    Gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG)
    Electronics
    Riley's (Pool &amp; Snooker Bar)
    Aikedo (Martial Art)

• Calculators:

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:42 PM

most (if not all) USB <-> Serial cables come with a driver CD and offer port emulation

#7 madjar

madjar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• Calculators:
    G100+ (1.05), G35

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:47 PM

I got it (won from the casio chalenge)
It emulate a COM port, and is given with FX-Interface 4
It is quite cool, but useless if you have a serial port !

(for wonderful pictures, look here : http://www.graph100....opic.php?t=2847 )

#8 Skalda

Skalda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Programming (C++ASM), Electronics, Math, Physics, Calculators, Motorbikes

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX 2.0+ (rom 1.03)
    FX-991W

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:40 PM

You're right, I found another webpage now were they offer an USB <--> COM adapter with a special driver that "works with virtually all software that uses an RS-232 serial port" (thus emulates it). Didn't know that this was possible at all.

So it really should work with FA-123 / Flash100, too (and this for cheaper than FX Linkkit is; btw maybe the Linkkit doesn't provide it's drivers to other windows software?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you know something about electronics, make your own using integrated chip FT232BM from FTDI, it's the most-expensive part of such solution and you can get it for abou 8$ (here, in cz) - whole construcion will be about 10$ and you will have same abilities with it, because FTDI provide drivers for it (Win, <{GNULINUX}> too) which can emulate COM, so Flash100 (with glink of course) and FA-123 will work fine... B)

#9 Marco

Marco

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio CFX 9850GB,

Posted 08 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

Well, surely I would waste this chip only :lol2: (guess I'm not that skilled in soldering)

PS: got this adapter meanwhile, it works quite well :D

#10 Andy.Davies

Andy.Davies

Forum Ghost

• [Legends]
  • 1547 posts
    Gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG)
    Electronics
    Aikedo (Martial Art)

• Calculators:

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:32 PM

interesting....i may have a go at this when i get back from uni...

#11 SoftCalc

SoftCalc

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Calculators:
    ClassPad 300 , AFX 2.0, HP-48/49/50, TI-89/92/Voyager, HP Expander, etc...

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:47 AM

You can buy a general USB to serial adapter that will let you use ANY serial device for as little as $15. Here is a link to an inexpensive one...

http://www.sfcable.c...PROD/72/UB30-40

One problem you might run into with a "generic" USB to serial adapter is it might not work with all devices. I had a Belkin USB/Serial adapter that would work with my CFX but refused to work with an FX 2.0.

I think we actually have a Casio brand USB/Serial adapter in the office which does work with all Casio calculators I've tried. I'll have to check.

What I'd like to see is a wireless USB (or even serial) cable.

#12 Skalda

Skalda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Programming (C++ASM), Electronics, Math, Physics, Calculators, Motorbikes

• Calculators:
    FX-991W

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

One problem you might run into with a "generic" USB to serial adapter is it might not work with all devices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think, problem, which can occure during using "generic" USB2COM, is when the control software of the device uses COM's special signals, like RTS (ready to send) or DTR (data-terminal ready) eg. as a voltage supply for levels-converting IC or break-bit abilities... it seems that not all the cables can handle it correctly. who is skilled, have a look at FT232 features http://www.ftdichip....cts/FT232BM.htm ;)

#13 Guest_Henry_*

Guest_Henry_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:16 AM

i think, problem, which can occure during using "generic" USB2COM, is when the control software of the device uses COM's special signals, like RTS (ready to send) or DTR (data-terminal ready) eg. as a voltage supply for levels-converting IC or break-bit abilities... it seems that not all the cables can handle it correctly. who is skilled, have a look at FT232 features http://www.ftdichip....cts/FT232BM.htm  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey guys, i thought you might be able to help me. I have cable that links my personal organizer to my USB port, and I know i can use the same cable for FA-123 software. However, I can't make it work. I dunno much about this stuff, but don't I need a driver to install or something. And if I do, the FA-123 software does't have a driver for USB connection. It assumes everyones will be using the 9-pin serial connection.
Thanks.

=========EDIT=========

Sorry for replying to wrong thing.
As mentioned about, I a calculator - USB cable link (which actualy came with my personal organizer).  I want to use the same calbe for the calculator. Hower, I dunno how to make it work. Under FA-123 Communications I selected Com 4, where the cable is..but it doesn't work.  The only driver I installed was from the personal organizer software. 
Btw, i dunno much about this stuff. I don't even know what a driver is or does, all i know is that I need to install one whenver i put in new hardware. So if someone can expalin, it would be gladly appreciated.
Also, Where do I get this driver that allows the USB port to act like a com port? Can someone post a link to it where I can download it.

Thank YOu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI again, sorry I make so many postings.

I have win xp.
Fa-123
Cable that conects to caculator & personal organizer but other end is USB not serial 9-pin port.

I originally bought personal organizer which is what cable came with..then friend came over and he mentioned soething about my FX-9750G. Then it hit me that the calc has a hole, so I tired to fit the same cable for the personal organizer into the hole and it worked.
I have the FA-123 software; however, when I pick com 4 (which is where the usb cable is installed using the driver that came with the personal organizer) i get a msg saying "couldn't open port."
How do I fix this? Do I need to install a different driver from the one that come with personal organizer for the USB cable?
Or is Win xp the problem?
btw, the program already using the port..i disabled before runing FA-123.

Thank You

=========EDIT=========

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for replying to wrong thing.
As mentioned about, I a calculator - USB cable link (which actualy came with my personal organizer). I want to use the same calbe for the calculator. Hower, I dunno how to make it work. Under FA-123 Communications I selected Com 4, where the cable is..but it doesn't work. The only driver I installed was from the personal organizer software.
Btw, i dunno much about this stuff. I don't even know what a driver is or does, all i know is that I need to install one whenver i put in new hardware. So if someone can expalin, it would be gladly appreciated.
Also, Where do I get this driver that allows the USB port to act like a com port? Can someone post a link to it where I can download it.

Thank YOu

Andy.Davies: I have edited all of these posts together, if you are going to post alot, you may wish to consider registering to the forum

Edited by Andy.Davies, 17 January 2005 - 09:27 AM.

#14 Skalda

Skalda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-991W

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:39 AM

if you have driver emulating COM port, it should be OK; error message that port is already in use can be caused (and i think so) by always-running app that monitors the device at the end of your cable and when the organizer is detected, it launchs the control sw. try to find and end this process and then try to use COM4 (eg. open in hyperterminal) or post a list of running processes and i will tell you which one it is (if exists).

#15 Guest_Henry_*

Guest_Henry_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:15 AM

if you have driver emulating COM port, it should be OK; error message that port is already in use can be caused (and i think so) by always-running app that monitors the device at the end of your cable and when the organizer is detected, it launchs the control sw. try to find and end this process and then try to use COM4 (eg. open in hyperterminal) or post a list of running processes and i will tell you which one it is (if exists).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, thank you so much..you guys are quick.
Ok, so far, as I understand, as long as I have driver emulating com port..it doesn't matter where the driver is from. Thus, even if its from the Organizer it can still be used for other stuff?
I already shut off the software that the organizer uses.
Still says, "failed to open port."
Here are all the apps running in my comp:
taskmgr.exe
iexplore.exe
explorer.exe
jusched.exe
gnotify.exe
ctfmon.exe
wowexec.exe
ntvdm.exe
svchost.exe (local service)
alg.exe
svchost.exe (network service)
system
ssmss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
svchost.exe (system)
svchost.exe (system)
spoolsv.exe
mdm.exe

thank you guys
sorry, didn't know how to register

#16 Skalda

Skalda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-991W

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:12 PM

Wow, thank you so much..you guys are quick.
Ok, so far, as I understand, as long as I have driver emulating com port..it doesn't matter where the driver is from. Thus, even if its from the Organizer it can still be used for other stuff?
I already shut off the software that the organizer uses.
Still says, "failed to open port."
sorry, didn't know how to register

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm, it seems no of those processes belong to such sw, try to open the port (sure that its COM4? - look in devmgmt.msc) in hypertrm.exe and tell the result

to register it's a good idea to click that "register" button :plol:

#17 Henri

Henri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-9750G
    Fx-260 Solar

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:05 AM

:banghead: whoever wrote the software for Fa-123 deserves this.

This is what I discovered:
Fa-123, when I start it opens up two other processes, wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe (I have no clue what they do).
Then I experimented:
I had fa-123 and hyperterminal running at the same time.
Then I used hyperterminal to see if com 4 was avaliable, and com4 was OK..so I disconnected.
Then I go to Fa-123 and selcted com 4, and then go to Link-Receive/Send (whichever, doesn't matter). As soon as I click on one of them, it says "failed to open com 4" (note: hypterterminal is no longer using com4 because I disconnected).
So then I close Fa-123 and go back to hyperterminal and try to connect to com4...hyperterminal then says, "can't open com4".

I press CTRL + ALT + Del and end almost all processes. Still, hyperterminal says "cannot open com4".

So as soon as I click Send/Receive on fa-123, com4 gets blocked. Not only for fa-132 but hyperterminal as well. Even after I end all processes (non-critical ones) hyperterminal still won't be able to use com4.

The only way it works, is to boot the computer. Then i use hyperterminal at com4 and it works. Then, as soon as I run fa-123 and clikc send/receive, com4 goes out of service again, even for hyperterminal.
Please note: just running fa-123 does't affect com 4, but once I click send/recieve..it says"failed to open com4". Even after fa-123 is closed and I end all non-critical processes, com4 cannot be used anymore by anything.

Conclusion: Fa-123 is somehow blocking use of com4 not only for itself, but even other programs..long after fa-123 has been shut down.

What the hell is going on??? :cry: :angry: :banghead:
Maybe I should have bought TI.

#18 SoftCalc

SoftCalc

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:28 AM

I don't know exactly what is causing your problem. First let say it is very possible a CASIO calculator will not work with this cable. Just because it has the same size connector does not mean it's compatible. Both the TI and Casio cables have the same connectors but the cables are not compatible.

That being said, here are some suggestions...

First, do you have a COM1 or COM2 on your computer? COM1/COM3 and COM2/COM4 share interrupts. Some programs can't handle interrupt sharing which means if you can't have a COM2 and COM4 at the same time. This use to be a nightmare back in the days of a COM mouse. If you had a COM mouse and a modem you often couldn't use your 2nd COM port on your computer.

Does your computer have built in COM ports? If so, they may be configured for COM1 and COM2 (this is the usual).

If you have built-in COM ports, does the FA-123 work with a standard serial cable?

Do you have anything configured to COM2? If so, see if you can disable it or manually move it to a different COM port.

#19 Henri

Henri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-9750G
    Fx-260 Solar

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:42 AM

Yes, my computer has 2 built in serial 9-pin ports (com 1 and 2) and I believe it would work, if I used a serial cable; when I clikc Link-Receive (communications set at com 1 or 2), the progress bar shows up waiting for the file (which will never come since I don't have a serial cable. So I would need to buy a serial cable (costing $30). That is a waste since I already have usb cable which is faster.
I want to use the same cable for my organizer as for the calculator.

The problem is not the cable, I am sure of this because the connection problem is at the computer end ("fails to open com4"). If com4 openened , and connection still fails then thats a different story. So first I have to fix computer end problem before I even begin testing/knowing if the cable is compatible.

Thank You

#20 SoftCalc

SoftCalc

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:19 AM

Try disabling COM2 in the BIOS and then see if COM4 works in FA-123. If possible, disable COM2 in the BIOS and configure the special USB/Serial driver for COM2.

#21 huhn_m

huhn_m

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1957 posts
  • Interests:Assembler(!!!)
    Computers and Programming
    Operating Systems
    Programmable Calculators
    Maths and everything arround it

• Calculators:
    FX-82SX / AFX 2.0+ (ROM 1.03) / FX 1.0+ (ROM 1.03)

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:50 AM

:banghead: :banghead:

WHoever wrote windows sucks!!!

The ntvdm.exe is a invention of Micro$oft and is a HUGE memory consuming process ensuring 16-Bit compatibility.

I would say Windows sucks :D
Have you ever considdered that the device at COM2 and at COM4 use the same
irq and may therefore disturbs the other process?!?

#22 Skalda

Skalda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-991W

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

:banghead:  :banghead:
The ntvdm.exe is a invention of Micro$oft and is a HUGE memory consuming process ensuring 16-Bit compatibility.

I would say Windows sucks :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In this way DOS sux, cause it has to be emulated :rolleyes:
winNT doesn't run on DOS 7.0 :greengrin:

#23 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:38 PM

winNT doesn't run on DOS 7.0

And that is why it is a stable OS (win 2000 or XP only)

#24 Henri

Henri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-9750G
    Fx-260 Solar

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:51 AM

I am no using any of the serial ports.
I disabled them anyway, and made USB port 1.
Still nothing.

WTF is wrong?
Maybe it the gay software of fa-123 because as soon as I run it and go to Links-Receive com4 gets fucked up. And no other program can use it, even when fa-123 is closed.
No other software in my comp has the special ability to F*** up com4 like fa-123 does.

Andy.Davies: No swearing here please

#25 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • 1564 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:07 AM

Well you should blame Windows or your USB->COM emulator driver for not resetting the COM4...

#26 Henri

Henri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-9750G
    Fx-260 Solar

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:38 AM

If problem is USB-Com emulator, solution would be to install new driver. Right?
If problem is Windows XP, then I install Windows 2000 (I hear it's the best). Right?
But then the question arises, what is windows XP doing wrong, so i can maybe fix it without installing new OS.

Confirm.

#27 SoftCalc

SoftCalc

Casio Technician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:47 AM

FA-123 doesn't flake out on COM2, right? Did you try disabling COM2 in the BIOS and configure the USB-Com driver for COM2?

Also check the USB-Com manufacture to see if they have a newer firmware or driver.

#28 Guest_Juand_*

Guest_Juand_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:50 PM

im wondering if its posible to adapt hp serial link to a casio cfx9950...
`cause i already ahve that cable and i dont want to buy another one..
thanks

#29 Andy.Davies

Andy.Davies

Forum Ghost

• [Legends]
  • 1547 posts
    Gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG)
    Electronics
    Aikedo (Martial Art)

• Calculators:

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:51 PM

it depends on the voltage levels, current levels etc of the hp cable/casio calc. in theory it is possible, but if it is too complicated your better off building a casio link cable.

#30 Marco

Marco

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio CFX 9850GB,

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:32 PM

Btw. Casio Add In installer doesn't work with this adapter.

No matter as I use FlashCOM anyways (uploading drives works), but when my flash was resetted and I tried to up/download the system (at least one shortcut needed to start the file browser), communication hang (it's the same with Flash100 and GComm doesn't like the adapter too). With a normal cable that's all no problem, though manufacturer says it was a completely RS/232 compatible adapter.

Anyone made similar experiences or knows what to do? (except looking for another adapter, I'll not buy one again)

#31 Guest_Mark_*

Guest_Mark_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

hey i have a fx-9860G AU calc and ive lost the cd i got which has got the driver on so i cant connect it to my comp. do u guys hav ne idea where i could get a copy? free if possible
thanks

#32 samuel

samuel

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

• Calculators:
    CP300, FX-9860G, CFX-9850GB+, FX-991ES, AFX-2.0+

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:46 AM

hey i have a fx-9860G AU calc and ive lost the cd i got which has got the driver on so i cant connect it to my comp. do u guys hav ne idea where i could get a copy? free if possible
thanks

You can find links to the manual and FA-124 here.

http://www.casio.edu...860_product.php

#33 SimLo

SimLo

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-9860G/FX-9860G SD

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

Does anybody know where can I find the electronic diagrams to make my own rs-232 cable for the calculator?

Try this

http://www.stormbase...index.php?id=20

#34 SimLo

SimLo

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

• Calculators:
    FX-9860G/FX-9860G SD

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

And did someone found the USB schematic? I would like to make the two.

I think it is a passive cable (simply USB type A to USB mini)

See

http://pinouts.ru/Sl...SB_pinout.shtml

or

http://en.wikipedia....rsal_Serial_Bus

#35 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

kario however has a CASIO Algebra FX 2.0, which doesn't have a USB terminal, therefor he can't just simply use a USB <-> USB cable, because it will simply not plug in.

An RS-232 <-> USB is required. The link above in the first post was for a cable that had a RS-232 to USB converter built in, with custom written software to accommodate the cable. Being a commercial product, no schematic exists for the cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users