#1 Mikael

Mikael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G Slim, TI-89, fx-82 Solar

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hi guys! I've just got my fx-9860G Slim and I'm very pleased with it except for the fact that it whines/buzzes slightly when working. It's very high pitched, so you need good hearing to notice it. It's also low volume and primarily noticed in a quiet environment. So, not that big of a deal, but it still bugs me, especially if other units don't exhibit this behavior.

Since I'm probably the first here to own the Slim version, I figured that I'd ask the owners of regular fx-9860G calcs if they've ever noticed something like this. Try this:

- Start the calc
- Put your ear close to it (like 10cm or closer)
- Press the "Setup" button repeatedly

Can you hear anything? You could also try holding the calc to your ear while it's graphing. I know that this isn't normal usage, but it's just to determine if the buzz is there on other calcs too and can be considered 'normal'.

#2 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

No, the regular fx-9860G calculators don't do that. But a buzzer on a fx-9860G Slim is interesting. If I had a model, and it really does have a buzzer, I can probably hack it and make use of the buzzer to make music.

#3 Mikael

Mikael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

I think you misunderstood me. The buzzing is similar to coil buzz from a power supply and is not caused by some sort of buzzer.

#4 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:28 AM

Yes, I was thinking also that it may be from the power supply.

I was really hoping it to be a buzzer, because I believe some ClassPad's have a piezo buzzer.

#5 Mikael

Mikael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

UPDATE: After having used the Slim for maybe 2 hours (with about one hour of backlight), the buzz is gone. Replacing the batteries with fresh ones makes it return. So, the good news is that this only really happens right after a battery change. Might not even occur when using a different type of battery.

EDIT: Could anyone be so kind as to but four new alkaline batteries in their fx-9860G and see if it whines ever so slightly?

#6 Mikael

Mikael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

No, it doesn't buzz.

Okay. Well, I might return this calc or I might not. Haven't decided yet. The 9860G Slim probably has a redesigned power supply and it could well be that all of them exhibit this behavior. The fact that it only does it the first 1-2 hours makes me think that it's not much to fuzz about.

BTW, you probably need to be younger than 35 years old to actually be able to hear this buzz, since it's of a pretty high frequency nature.

EDIT: Just measured the voltage of a new GP AAA battery and one of those I have been using in the calc. The new one is 1.58V instead of the advertised 1.5V and the slightly used one is 1.52V. So, the buzz is caused by the slightly higher voltage of a new battery. Using 1.2V rechargables should take care of the problem then.

EDIT: Yep, using two Ni-MH batteries, the calc is dead quiet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users