#1 xlaser

xlaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    fx 9750G Plus

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

I have a fx-9750G Plus and need it to convert answers given as decimals to answers given as fractions where possible.
eg. 25/1.2 to = 20 and 5/6
at the moment it displays 20.833333333
Is it possible with this calculator?

#2 Guest_Zwei9_*

Guest_Zwei9_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

When the calc gives you the answer, say 20.8333333, hit the ab/c key.

#3 TyYann

TyYann

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-4000P (since 1988)
    Casio CFX-9850GB PLUS
    Sharp EL-9900
    Casio fx-9860G SD
    Casio fx-9860GII SD
    Casio Graph 90+E
    TI-83 Premium CE (no Python)
    and a 25-column abacus...

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

No, it's the [F<?>D] key

#4 Guest_Zwei9_*

Guest_Zwei9_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

Ha!, very very true. My humblest apologies for giving the wrong info. It is in fact the [F <-> D] key. I was probably thinking about a normal scientific calc while typing my previous answer. :banghead:

#5 xlaser

xlaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    fx 9750G Plus

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for your efforts but so far the only solution that works is to convert the 1.2 to fraction format first
ie. 25/1 [ab/c ] 2 [ab/c ] 100 this will give the answer in fraction form and the [F<?>D] toddles between Decimal and fraction.
I feel that this is rather a clumsey process which is more easily achieved on older Casio calculators.
Is there a simpler method?

#6 Guest_Zwei9_*

Guest_Zwei9_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:05 AM

Ok, now you've made me actually pull out my calcs...

On the ALGEBRA FX 2.0 PLUS the key is [ab/c] (and why my first answer was this key, this is the calc I'm most used to)

On the fx-9860G SD the key is [F <-> D] (same as on the fx-9750G PLUS)

On the, blasphemy, Sharp EL-531W the key is [ab/c] (normal scientific calc)

I have a fx-991MS but it's in the drawer at the other end of the table, and I'm too lazy to reach out for it, but I assume it's the [ab/c] key.

Anyway, first, the number to work with is 25/1.2, which would translate to 25/(12[ab/c]10) (I mention this because you wrote something that gives another answer, not that it really matter, I'm just being geeky)

Now, first you enter 25/1.2 and hit EXE

The calc gives you the answer 20.83333333

It is now when you hit the key in question ([F <-> D] for the fx-9750G PLUS)

The calc gives you 125_6 (125/6 which is an improper fraction, the _ is meant to be the fraction symbol, couldn't find a better way to type it)

If you hit SHIFT + [F <-> D], you'd get 20_5_6 (20 + 5/6 which is a mixed fraction)

I just checked this in all my calcs and it works just fine with this specific number (25/1.2)

If it doesn't work for you (with this number), then I have no clue as to what can be wrong.

If it works with this number, but it doesn't with another number, keep in mind that the algorithm the calc uses has limitations as to what it can convert between decimal and fractions..

#7 xlaser

xlaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    fx 9750G Plus

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for trying. Its this part below which my fx-9750G is behaving differently, the [F <-> D] does nothing at all.

It is now when you hit the key in question ([F <-> D] for the fx-9750G PLUS)
The calc gives you 125_6 (125/6 which is an improper fraction, the _ is meant to be the fraction symbol, couldn't find a better way to type it)
If you hit SHIFT + [F <-> D], you'd get 20_5_6 (20 + 5/6 which is a mixed fraction)

What display setting do you have on your calculator? The answer may lie in the sig. fig. setting.
I have have Display: Sci5 set up at the moment.

#8 Guest_Zwei9_*

Guest_Zwei9_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:54 AM

Display: Norm1

I'm not sure, but the Sci# setting won't give you fractions...

Let me know if it finally works, because I'm really curious about this problem.

#9 xlaser

xlaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Calculators:
    fx 9750G Plus

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hi Zwei9,
My tests show that the F-D key will only convert decimal to fraction if the decimal number has no reccuring digits.
Looks like its a limitation I'll have to live with.

Thanks for your assistance.

#10 geeknick

geeknick

• _Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Calculators:
    tutorvista.com

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

absoulutly i can give you those steps of solving decimal to fraction so here are the steps given below:

Steps for Decimal to Fraction
Step 1 : Find out number of digits right to decimal point.

Step 2 : Suppose if there are "x" digits then multiply and divide it by 1 with "x" zeros.

Step 3 : Simplify the obtained fraction.

when i got too much difficulty then supposed to use online decimal to fraction calculator so [url="http://calculator.tutorvista.com/math/410/decimal-to-fraction-calculator.html""]Decimal to Fraction Calculator[/url] is an online tool to convert a decimal number into equivalent fraction. It is a tool which makes calculations easy and fun. If a decimal number is given then it can easily convert it into equivalent fraction.

Edited by flyingfisch, 04 November 2011 - 05:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users