#1 XYZ

XYZ

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Lying on the beach on a hot sunny day

• Calculators:
    Casio AFX2.0+, CFX9850, HP49G, fx-7700GB, TI-85, TI-92, HP20S scientific....

Posted 15 April 2003 - 10:46 AM

While surfing recently I came across a rather interesting new calc by casio - obviously part of their new generation graphing and scientific calcs which have actually been really nicely designed (I don't know about you but functionality is equally as important as appearance here!).

One can be found here
http://www.casio.co....up_fx3950p.html

It has some basic progamming functions, probably keystroke. I haven't been able to find where on earth to get one, and as usual the casio site as ABSOLUTELY USELESS in helping me.

Must say I'm glad to see the feature base of most calcs is growing - 4 way cursor pads, numeric integration etc, things that I have been doing on paper for a while but for the sake of getting the most out of technology such functions should be implemented. So I can't stand it when companies keep selling a product for years, until they finally decide to update their design (and tell everyone about the amazing new technology they've developed).

Anyway enough about pocket scientific calculators. I'm going to program my new fx2.0+... :D

#2 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 15 April 2003 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, this kinda stuff is old, I've seen a calc my grandpa owns that has those features... looks like they have just put a new case on it.

good to know you have a AFX, welcome to the club... :lol:

#3 rjstephens

rjstephens

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX9850GB+

Posted 16 April 2003 - 10:07 AM

its probably just my imagination, but from the look of that it has a backlight. wish they could put one of them on the CFX

i tried once, fried the LED with too much power - it was 4v, the calcs batteries are 6v

#4 XYZ

XYZ

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 April 2003 - 07:24 PM

Yeah that'd be sweet eh! You'd need backlit keys too though otherwise it would be ointless to use, apart from playing gams where you know where the keys are.

You could try getting an electro-luminescent panel and making a tiny voltage increase circuit - there's probably room inside the battery compartment for instance, in the space above the backup battery.

#5 rjstephens

rjstephens

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX9850GB+

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:43 AM

voltage increase - are you crazy!!! it's high enough as it is. i don't know about EL, but all the led solutions i can find run on 4v, the casio runs on 6v. i need to drop volts off, not add tem on.

the other problem with backlit calcs is that it would drain the battery a fair bit.

#6 XYZ

XYZ

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:38 PM

ha lol :) EL (electro-luminescent - the type you find on watches etc) need about 70v from memory, but don't draw a great deal of current.

If you want to use LEDs, then just hook a small resistor in series with each led. Most LEDs have a voltage drop of about 1.7v. So if you have a 6v supply, and you add a resistor in series there will be 4.3v (6-1.7) across the resistor. And most LEDs run on no more than 20 or 30 mA. So by ohms law you would need a resistor of value 4.3/.02=215Ohm, or a standard value around there would do. Try and get some blue surface mount ones :) Just don't put too much voltage across them!

#7 Brazzucko

Brazzucko

UCF BASIC Programming Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Calculators:
    FX 1.0, CFX 9850 GB Plus and FX 9750G

Posted 18 April 2003 - 10:04 AM

:D I?m almost sure that the new AFX models will be the same but whit more flash memory??

#8 Brazzucko

Brazzucko

UCF BASIC Programming Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Calculators:
    FX 1.0, CFX 9850 GB Plus and FX 9750G

Posted 18 April 2003 - 10:05 AM

B) See for example the new CFX models, they keep all the hardware, whiteout any change??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users