- - - - -

New Ti-nspire Cx Coming

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#121 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:36 AM

Interesting that you should point that out. Unfortuantely that is they way American companies are. It's all and only about the money, greed, and avoiding costs. If you really want an excellent product don't look to American companies to produce it. They are not in the business of producing the best products. They are in the business of producing the cheapest product that they can sell with spin, and miss leading advertizing. If ti actually wanted to produce a superior product they would have fixed their products problems by now. Don't you think that ti sticks with poor keyboards because they are cheap to produce? I do. Do you think they actually care about supplying the customer with a good product? I don't. Again, it's about the money, not customer satisfaction.

From what I see, ti's strategy is based on an assumption that they can overcome the negatives of poor quality with appropriate sales and advertizing techniques so why would they invest in developing a superior product when they can make more money selling a poor product? Don't give up hope. Japanese companies have produced superior products in other areas of electronics and they will do so in calculators to.

Forget the "ti's strategy" stuff. It's not that complicated. What we are seeing is a group of incompetent people making poor decisions because they cannot do any better. Expect ti to continue to make poor decisions and you won't be confused by what they do.

#122 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Forget the "ti's strategy" stuff. It's not that complicated. What we are seeing is a group of incompetent people making poor decisions because they cannot do any better. Expect ti to continue to make poor decisions and you won't be confused by what they do.

AGREED with one exception. TI's advertizing and sales people are very good at convincing teachers that nspires have exceptional teaching powers and will turn their poor students into math experts. Of course that is not true but expect that distortion of reality by TI to continue.

#123 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

AGREED with one exception. TI's advertizing and sales people are very good at convincing teachers that nspires have exceptional teaching powers and will turn their poor students into math experts. Of course that is not true but expect that distortion of reality by TI to continue.

I noticed that to. Imagine the shock to the teachers that bought new nspires just before the touch pad was introduced. And imagine the shock to the teachers who bought a set of nspires just before the cx announcement. And imagine the shock to the teachers who found out that updating to OS 3.0 was a night mare. And imagine the shock to the teachers who updated to 3.0 only to find out that it may brick their calc's. And imagine the shock to those teachers when they found out that they could not down grade to the safety of 2.1. If those teachers learned anything at all they learned not to trust ti but to sit back and wait and see what happens when the next OS is released. And they learned that every year or two ti is going to produce a new and better model obsoleteing what they bought recently and the screwing has just begun.

#124 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

And imagine the shock to the teachers who updated to 3.0 only to find out that it may brick their calc's. And imagine the shock to those teachers when they found out that they could not down grade to the safety of 2.1.

Actually, 3.0 is pretty safe once you've installed it - the bricking glitch only happens at the first reboot... But 3.0 is still a quite bad OS because of glitches like deSolve.

#125 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Actually, 3.0 is pretty safe once you've installed it - the bricking glitch only happens at the first reboot... But 3.0 is still a quite bad OS because of glitches like deSolve.

True. So I would think that if teachers have learned anything at all from the recent developments they learned not to buy any more of that nspire junk. <_<

#126 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

True. So I would think that if teachers have learned anything at all from the recent developments they learned not to buy any more of that nspire junk. <_<

According to the ti web site:
An update to TI-Nspire version 3.0 will be available by mid-May.
One would assume that ti will do a better job this time but don't count on it.
Recommendation: Wait a while and make sure that the bricking problem of 3.0 has actually been fixed before updating.

#127 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

According to the ti web site:
An update to TI-Nspire version 3.0 will be available by mid-May.
One would assume that ti will do a better job this time but don't count on it.
Recommendation: Wait a while and make sure that the bricking problem of 3.0 has actually been fixed before updating.

Here is some preliminary information on the cx and other interesting details. That is until the moderator rex boggs cut the discussion short because ti was getting a well deserved negative evaluation.
http://groups.google...696f78efcc88b12
:greengrin:

#128 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

Here is some preliminary information on the cx and other interesting details. That is until the moderator rex boggs cut the discussion short because ti was getting a well deserved negative evaluation.
http://groups.google...696f78efcc88b12
:greengrin:

Rex Boggs runs that site for TI. I thought every one knew that.

#129 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

More problems with ti's nspires. When if ever is it going to stop? See:
http://groups.google...79380231bab77d6

#130 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

More problems with ti's nspires. When if ever is it going to stop? See:
http://groups.google...79380231bab77d6

http://groups.google...ee1c314046f7e46

#131 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

http://groups.google...ee1c314046f7e46

Many thanks to the people who post here. You have opened my eyes to the kind of company TI is.

#132 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

With the release of os 3.02 it looks like ti is opening the nspire up to third party programming. check out these links official sdk and Ti allows publishing of confidential LUA tools

#133 Guest_nspire math_*

Guest_nspire math_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:40 AM

Finally an official LUA SDK for the ti nspire!!!!!!! B) B) B) B) B) Official LUA SDK Way to GO TI!!!!

#134 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

Finally an official LUA SDK for the ti nspire!!!!!!! B) B) B) B) B) Official LUA SDK Way to GO TI!!!!

You remind me of the guy at the race track who cheered when his horse went across the finish line only to be disappointed later when he found out that the horse had been disqualified. TI has a habbit of announcing things which, when you get the full story are missing key features. For instance their wonderful 3d graphing that won't graph a simple curve. They also have a habit of producing poor quality software and apparently using the customer as the testing organization. For example the recent 3.0.1 OS. If I were you I would be skeptical and maintain a wait and see additude because ti has a reputation of talking a good story and then backing up their announcements with poor quality and lacking performance. :greengrin:

#135 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

Actually ti is their own worst enemy. Now people are having difficult updating to ti's latest nspire os. Ref:
http://groups.google...d5467b928?pli=1
So if you buy a new nspire you may not be able to update it to the latest os which is 3.0.2 without jumping thru some hoops. Recommendation: If you must buy the new nspire don't do it until you can be assured that you will get one with the latest os. <_<

#136 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

Actually ti is their own worst enemy. Now people are having difficult updating to ti's latest nspire os. Ref:
http://groups.google...d5467b928?pli=1
So if you buy a new nspire you may not be able to update it to the latest os which is 3.0.2 without jumping thru some hoops. Recommendation: If you must buy the new nspire don't do it until you can be assured that you will get one with the latest os. <_<

Just read your reference. Interesting how some guy acknowledges the problem and then quickly does some damage control. For me, TI's latest OS with still another problem puts the last nail in the coffin. I can only conclude that after years of effort and several models ti just doesn't have the ability to produce a good new product.

#137 Guest_Gingus_*

Guest_Gingus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Just read your reference. Interesting how some guy acknowledges the problem and then quickly does some damage control. For me, TI's latest OS with still another problem puts the last nail in the coffin. I can only conclude that after years of effort and several models ti just doesn't have the ability to produce a good new product.

Unfortunately what you say is correct. The evidence is overwhelming that ti just doesn't have the capability to develop a good product. They make mistake after mistake after mistake not only with software snafu's but even worse with simple stuff like keyboard design. Any company that cannot produce an excellent product after 5 years of development should not be in business. Perhaps ti has survived this long because of the excellent reputation that they HAD a decade ago. That is pretty much gone now and people are seeing ti for what they are today. It is expected that soon ti will stop further development efforts on their nspire line which has been over hyped and simply is not popular. They should have stuck with improving their popular but out dated older products. It is sad to see a company make such bad decisions again and again. Their vision has been all wrong and their persistance in sticking with the nspire line is beyond reason. They no longer have what it takes to be a leader in the calculator business.

#138 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

The reason for the decline in TI's calculator products is Melendy Lovett.

#139 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

The reason for the decline in TI's calculator products is Melendy Lovett.

What is a Melendy Lovett?

#140 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:59 AM

What is a Melendy Lovett?

With a background in accounting and human resources which is code for personel and bean counting ti put her in charge of their education technology business which are code words for calculator efforts. Nspire development and promotion is obviously one of her responsibilities. She is a strange choice for the job since she did not come from an engineering or marketing background.

#141 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

With a background in accounting and human resources which is code for personel and bean counting ti put her in charge of their education technology business which are code words for calculator efforts. Nspire development and promotion is obviously one of her responsibilities. She is a strange choice for the job since she did not come from an engineering or marketing background.

Perhaps she is no longer in that position. The recent shift in additude towards developers facilitated by ti with the Lua language suggests there may have been a change in management at ti on some level. :greengrin:

#142 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

Perhaps she is no longer in that position. The recent shift in additude towards developers facilitated by ti with the Lua language suggests there may have been a change in management at ti on some level. :greengrin:

Or the recent shift in additude could be because discusted users are moving to the Casio PriZm. :greengrin:

#143 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

Ti has now put the lua scripting tools up on its own website official lua scripting. Also an SDK for the npsire is planned for 2012. Many of the main programmers in the ti community have also recieved emails from ti about programming the nspire in lua. See ticalc.org home page.

Some members in the ti community discovered that the ti nspire cx was planned at least as far back as late 2009, well before anyone knew anything about a casio prism. I decided to say that because some members here were saying that ti quickly made the cx to compete with the prism, which isn't true.

Last but not least, there seems to not be any major bugs with os 3.02 which means Ti is back on track.

#144 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

Ti has now put the lua scripting tools up on its own website official lua scripting. Also an SDK for the npsire is planned for 2012. Many of the main programmers in the ti community have also recieved emails from ti about programming the nspire in lua. See ticalc.org home page.

Some members in the ti community discovered that the ti nspire cx was planned at least as far back as late 2009, well before anyone knew anything about a casio prism. I decided to say that because some members here were saying that ti quickly made the cx to compete with the prism, which isn't true.

Last but not least, there seems to not be any major bugs with os 3.02 which means Ti is back on track.

Your frame of reference is decidedly biased.

Actually "Ti has now put the lua scripting tools up on its own website" after they were discovered by the programing community. Ti didn't announce it's existance they confirmed it. Why is that? Why didn't they announce the Lua capability when they put it on their nspire? They sure bungled that, didn't they? Action after action by ti is so amatuerish and unprofessional that it makes me wonder how in the world they can or should be in that business. Have you given that any thought?

"Also an SDK for the npsire is planned for 2012." The concern here is that it might be very expensive as an effort to prohibit third party programs. In addition they can be prohibited, if not approved by ti, by the SDK or an os change. You seem to be very trusting of ti. Based on the way they have treated the programing community the last few years, I am not. What is the basis of your trust in ti?

"Some members here were saying that ti quickly made the cx to compete with the prism, which isn't true." While I cannot speak for others, I feel that ti quickly "announced" the cx in response to the Prizm. Since that announcement was about 6 months ago, and the cx cas models are still NOT available it seems clear that the cx was prematurely "announced" in reaction to the Prizm. By the way have you tried the Prizm? It is very easy to use. It would be nice if you would try one and tell us what you think.

To me, the important things to recognize about ti and their nspire efforts are two fold. First, consider that after about 5 years of development they still don't have it right and need to make additional changes? That suggests to me that they don't belong in that business. (By the way are you aware that upgrading to the latest os can still be problematic? Read the google teachers site.) In this day and age when new smart phone models are very bug free as introduced by Motorola, Apple and others evey year or two, for ti to work on their new (five year old) calculator design is rediculous and suggests to me that ti no longer has what it takes to be in the calculator business. Can you see that? Another comparison is the soundness of the Prizm design and software compared to the constant bungled attempts by ti with their nspires. Just compare the two keyboards for example. The tiny closely spaced x,y,z keys on the nspire are only marginally usable. The other point that I want to make is that ti's strategy of designing a calculator strictly for high school teachers is flawed because it ensures that their device will NOT be mathematically superior or even competitive. Can you understand that?

Clearly you are a ti supporter but shouldn't you start dealing with reality? In reality ti has introduced new model, after new model, after new model, and os, after os, after os, to fix problem, after problem, after problem, and something like 5 years of this nspire effort that speaks volumes about ti's capability as a calculator company. As someone else mentioned, they should have improved their popular but outdated products instead of going off in a whole new direction with their nspire designs.

Lastly, consider this. TI markets thier calculators as educational products. What is educational about a device that provides answers without any explanation? It seems to me that they have lost sight of the fact that they are in the calculator business. What do you think?

#145 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:52 AM

What is educational about a device that provides answers without any explanation?

Can you elaborate on that statement? Not sure what you mean by that.

#146 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

Can you elaborate on that statement? Not sure what you mean by that.

By definition, an educational device aids in the learning process by explaining the material.

#147 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

By definition, an educational device aids in the learning process by explaining the material.

To elaborate, the solution to the differential equation y"-3y'+2y=0 is c1*e^2t+c2*e^t. An educational device such as teacher or a textbook or a learning program will explain how that answer is obtained. A calculator does not do that. :greengrin:

#148 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Now that your question has been answered, please reciprocate by answering the questions that I posed.

#149 Guest_nspired math_*

Guest_nspired math_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

Quote " Ti didn't announce it's existance they confirmed it. Why is that? Why didn't they announce the Lua capability when they put it on their nspire? They sure bungled that, didn't they? Action after action by ti is so amatuerish and unprofessional that it makes me wonder how in the world they can or should be in that business. Have you given that any thought? " Actually before anyone knew anything about the cx and os 3.X Ti had anounced that they were going to open the npsire up to third party development. Also Lua is still only in its beta stages right now and the official SDK WILL be announced later.

Quote "The concern here is that it might be very expensive as an effort to prohibit third party programs. In addition they can be prohibited, if not approved by ti, by the SDK or an os change." The nspire always has been backwards compatible to files from older os's. Thus I highly doubt that future os releases will block lua programs made with the FREE OFFICIAL lua scripting tools ALREADY available.

Quote "Since that announcement was about 6 months ago, and the cx cas models are still NOT available it seems clear that the cx was prematurely "announced" in reaction to the Prizm." THe ti npsire cx is available on Amazon for 157.56 USD.

Quote "In this day and age when new smart phone models are very bug free as introduced by Motorola, Apple and others evey year or two, for ti to work on their new (five year old) calculator design is rediculous and suggests to me that ti no longer has what it takes to be in the calculator business. Can you see that? Another comparison is the soundness of the Prizm design and software compared to the constant bungled attempts by ti with their nspires. Just compare the two keyboards for example. The tiny closely spaced x,y,z keys on the nspire are only marginally usable. The other point that I want to make is that ti's strategy of designing a calculator strictly for high school teachers is flawed because it ensures that their device will NOT be mathematically superior or even competitive." Many Windows and Symbian os phones are far far more buggy than the nspire. For me the keyboard is excellent, much better than the old ti 84, 86 , and 89 keyboards. For me it is just as good as a the qwerty on my ti 92, perhaps even better because its allowed on all standardized test :rolleyes: . People with large fingers could possibly have a little trouble with accidental key presses but I, for one, bet that it is just fine for most high- school students. As for missing functionality the nspire does lack some high level math functions such as fourier and laplace but also has several high-school level math functions missing on the classpad such as polyquotient, poly-greatest-common-divisor and so on.

#150 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

Actually before anyone knew anything about the cx and os 3.X Ti had anounced that they were going to open the npsire up to third party development. Also Lua is still only in its beta stages right now and the official SDK WILL be announced later.

I don't remember that TI has said that.

The nspire always has been backwards compatible to files from older os's. Thus I highly doubt that future os releases will block lua programs made with the FREE OFFICIAL lua scripting tools ALREADY available.

Every document made in OS 1.1 doesn't work anymore as of OS 3.0, so TI is clearly able to, and willing to, break compatibility with older documents.

THe ti npsire cx is available on Amazon for 157.56 USD.

He was talking about the CX CAS, not the CX.

#151 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

I don't remember that TI has said that.

Every document made in OS 1.1 doesn't work anymore as of OS 3.0, so TI is clearly able to, and willing to, break compatibility with older documents.

He was talking about the CX CAS, not the CX.

"I don't remember that TI has said that." Nor do I. Perhaps that poster can provide some proof.

"Every document made in OS 1.1 doesn't work anymore as of OS 3.0, so TI is clearly able to, and willing to, break compatibility with older documents." A truth for the previous poster to deal with if he/she is interested in focusing on reality rather than his/her imaginary reality.

"He was talking about the CX CAS, not the CX." Again, true but the previous poster is clearly not interested in learning the truth, he just wants to make assertions to back up ti. I fear that he works for ti because he also makes some reference to high level high school math - ha,ha, ha. That is a contradiction.

#152 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

Quote " Ti didn't announce it's existance they confirmed it. Why is that? Why didn't they announce the Lua capability when they put it on their nspire? They sure bungled that, didn't they? Action after action by ti is so amatuerish and unprofessional that it makes me wonder how in the world they can or should be in that business. Have you given that any thought? " Actually before anyone knew anything about the cx and os 3.X Ti had anounced that they were going to open the npsire up to third party development. Also Lua is still only in its beta stages right now and the official SDK WILL be announced later.

Quote "The concern here is that it might be very expensive as an effort to prohibit third party programs. In addition they can be prohibited, if not approved by ti, by the SDK or an os change." The nspire always has been backwards compatible to files from older os's. Thus I highly doubt that future os releases will block lua programs made with the FREE OFFICIAL lua scripting tools ALREADY available.

Quote "Since that announcement was about 6 months ago, and the cx cas models are still NOT available it seems clear that the cx was prematurely "announced" in reaction to the Prizm." THe ti npsire cx is available on Amazon for 157.56 USD.

Quote "In this day and age when new smart phone models are very bug free as introduced by Motorola, Apple and others evey year or two, for ti to work on their new (five year old) calculator design is rediculous and suggests to me that ti no longer has what it takes to be in the calculator business. Can you see that? Another comparison is the soundness of the Prizm design and software compared to the constant bungled attempts by ti with their nspires. Just compare the two keyboards for example. The tiny closely spaced x,y,z keys on the nspire are only marginally usable. The other point that I want to make is that ti's strategy of designing a calculator strictly for high school teachers is flawed because it ensures that their device will NOT be mathematically superior or even competitive." Many Windows and Symbian os phones are far far more buggy than the nspire. For me the keyboard is excellent, much better than the old ti 84, 86 , and 89 keyboards. For me it is just as good as a the qwerty on my ti 92, perhaps even better because its allowed on all standardized test :rolleyes: . People with large fingers could possibly have a little trouble with accidental key presses but I, for one, bet that it is just fine for most high- school students. As for missing functionality the nspire does lack some high level math functions such as fourier and laplace but also has several high-school level math functions missing on the classpad such as polyquotient, poly-greatest-common-divisor and so on.

Like the rest of the people at ti, this guy doesn't have a clue.

#153 Guest_isotopic pervHe_*

Guest_isotopic pervHe_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

Like the rest of the people at ti, this guy doesn't have a clue.

May I add that the guy was unreasonable and it is not possible to reason with an unreasonable person by any means including truth and reality. :greengrin:

#154 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:51 AM

Right, but I guess what I mean is why do you think it's not explaining the material. Or rather, what changes would it take before the calculator did just that. Nspire has quite a few subject specific lessons like these ( some you can preview and see an example ):

Classroom Activities
Math Activities

In your view are those not educational, don't go far enough, pointless, or something to that effect ? I am unsure myself to what degree I think they would be helpful but they do interest me. I'm guessing that TI expects the calculator to be just a supplemental tool to the process and the teacher would be doing the explaining.

Also, what do you think about the ability to connect to various probes and gather data from experiments ? If Casio or HP announced the same ability would it be welcome news or is it something regarded as unnecessary ? Again, data gathering from a probe interests me as well but I would never shell out that much money just for a hobby ( I'm not in school ).

So anyway, back to your comment - how do those things not aid, at least to some degree, in the learning process ?

Thanks

#155 Guest_littlespec_*

Guest_littlespec_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

I am glad I found this lively discussion. From reading these posts, I will be doing two things:
1. Look into the Casio Prizm
2. Delay the purchase of the TI NsPire Cx CAS
Looks like the Ti 84 will continue to be the workhorse it has been this past 2 years.

#156 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Right, but I guess what I mean is why do you think it's not explaining the material. Or rather, what changes would it take before the calculator did just that. Nspire has quite a few subject specific lessons like these ( some you can preview and see an example ):

Classroom Activities
Math Activities

In your view are those not educational, don't go far enough, pointless, or something to that effect ? I am unsure myself to what degree I think they would be helpful but they do interest me. I'm guessing that TI expects the calculator to be just a supplemental tool to the process and the teacher would be doing the explaining.

Also, what do you think about the ability to connect to various probes and gather data from experiments ? If Casio or HP announced the same ability would it be welcome news or is it something regarded as unnecessary ? Again, data gathering from a probe interests me as well but I would never shell out that much money just for a hobby ( I'm not in school ).

So anyway, back to your comment - how do those things not aid, at least to some degree, in the learning process ?

Thanks

For a calculator to be a learning tool it needs to show the steps to the answer. That can be designed in to a calculator but I think that TI's spin that their calculator is a learning tool and that they are in the education business is just sales nonsense that they use to sell their products to schools. In reality it would be better to use some of the pc programs for learning math. For example the mathzone and connect programs by McGraw-Hill.

Using probes to collect data could be very useful to scientific work but TI has priced it to high to be useful.

Having a good breakfast also aids in the learning process but it is not a learning tool. The point to keep in mind is that teaching calculator operation is not teaching math. I am a math teacher and I can tell you that the students that I get who came from a class where calculators were used are way behind the ones who came from a class where math was taught.

#157 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

I am glad I found this lively discussion. From reading these posts, I will be doing two things:
1. Look into the Casio Prizm
2. Delay the purchase of the TI NsPire Cx CAS
Looks like the Ti 84 will continue to be the workhorse it has been this past 2 years.

The cx series was announced by ti last year and the nspire cx cas is still not available. Clearly todays ti is not the company that is was ten years ago. In fact without the ti name, no one would pay any attention to what ti does today because they are so amateurish and unreliable and cover their tracks with way to much advertizing spin. It's very important to consider what they have done recently and ignore what they have said.

#158 Guest_John C._*

Guest_John C._*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:50 AM

The cx series was announced by ti last year and the nspire cx cas is still not available. Clearly todays ti is not the company that is was ten years ago. In fact without the ti name, no one would pay any attention to what ti does today because they are so amateurish and unreliable and cover their tracks with way to much advertizing spin. It's very important to consider what they have done recently and ignore what they have said.

The CX (not the CX CAS) which is available, and has been available for some time is not available at my local Walmart store which has does have the old nspire touch pad models on display. To attempt to dump the obsolute models on unsuspecting customers thru Walmart ticks me off and doesn't do TI's reputation any good either. Actually dumping obsolete models on unsuspecting customers says a lot about how little TI cares about the customer. They must think we are a bunch of suckers to be exploited! :profanity:

#159 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:41 AM

Woah! This is one hot topic!!!

#160 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

They must think we are a bunch of suckers to be exploited! :profanity:

Well said, actions speak louder than words and that is exactly the impression I get from the way they treat or perhaps I should say ignore their customers. Thats why I have not and will not buy one of their second rate problem plagued TI-nspire calculators. I don't care how good or bad it is I am not going to give my money to a bunch of arrogant jerks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users