• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

Please tell me if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyway, the theory is that you can connect 2 calculators to walky-talkies, and then transmit data readable only by a casio calculator, over a distance. This would greatly improve chatting on calculators. Correct me if any of the above info is incorrect.

then maybe the walky talky replaced by a small homemade 2-way radio which would connect neatly to the COMM port. It would only be about 1/2" by 1" by 1/4". the antenna could somehow be connected to the side of the calc.

The pinout for the 3pin cable is shown below. more info can be obtained at: http://pinouts.ru/Po...mm_pinout.shtml
Posted Image

Edited by mfischer, 15 April 2011 - 10:01 PM.

#2 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hello mfischer and welcome to the UCF!
There have been ideas and experiments about this before. I don't know if anyone succeeded to make a working "walky-talky".
Yes the serial port on the calcs can be programmed to send / receive data, but home-made walky-talky things are not suitable for data transfer due to the high loss of data in such poor-quality circuits. There are good quality (=expensive) RF modules available, however, and you could try to connect them to the calcs and communicate, but remember it will not be easy. (Actually if it was easy we could see some working examples now)
You may need to have a microcontroller control the data transfer and the modules, an special program for such data transfer, etc. And of course you need an external battery for the trans/ceiver circuits since ports on casio calcs do not let out power. Do you know enough electronics and programming?

BTW I wonder how could you post >30 posts in the previous 3 days, some people call that 'overposting'.

Edited by MicroPro, 17 April 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#3 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

BTW I wonder how could you post >30 posts in the previous 3 days, some people call that 'overposting'.

I'm sorry :blush: 2-3 posts a day max, then?

#4 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

Just post as much as you wish ;)
Did you do anything on the subject?

#5 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

I was thinking that to eliminate the problem of not having good reception, we could borrow some info from nasa. When they sennd commands to the mars rovers, they the command for "a" looks like this: "aaaaaaaaaa". When it gets to the rover, it might look like this: "zaaiaayasa". the rover says, " well there are more than a's than anything else, so nasa must want me to do 'a'".

So, transfering this info to the calculator world, one program could transmit the command 10 times, and then on the other side, it could decode by the determining which letter is transmitted the most out of 10. However, this would make the program kind of slow....

#6 mookster1

mookster1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Calculators:
    fx9750G Plus

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

I was thinking that to eliminate the problem of not having good reception, we could borrow some info from nasa. When they sennd commands to the mars rovers, they the command for "a" looks like this: "aaaaaaaaaa". When it gets to the rover, it might look like this: "zaaiaayasa". the rover says, " well there are more than a's than anything else, so nasa must want me to do 'a'".

So, transfering this info to the calculator world, one program could transmit the command 10 times, and then on the other side, it could decode by the determining which letter is transmitted the most out of 10. However, this would make the program kind of slow....

Interesting idea. A way I would achieve data transfer (I have an old fx9750G PLUS) is have a microcontroller acting as a "buffer" to RX the data from the calculator at 9600bps, then have it relay it (without all of the unnecessary stuff that the Casio data protocol sticks in the data transfer) at a very low speed, say 300bps, with a little bit of error correction/checksumming. The other end has a radio RX that feeds data into a buffer on the microcontroller, then it's turned into stuff the calculator can understand (a really inefficient 50-bytes per packet format that has a lot of wastage in terms of time management). I've tried getting a PICAXE 20M to talk to a graphics calculator, but as the data protocol is very confusing I have not achieved this as of yet (I designed a "token-based" chat/webpage system which sends matrices with the data in them, as these can be sent without exiting a program.) Over radio links, lower speed is better to combat cruddy receivers and potential interference.

Edited by mookster1, 05 May 2011 - 02:00 AM.

#7 louloux

louloux

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

• Calculators:
    Graph 85 SD
    Graph 35+
    fx-92

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

A french group is programming the first "bluetooth" CASIO game.
More informations here

#8 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

Where? it takes me to the home page.

#9 Eiyeron

Eiyeron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• Calculators:
    Graph 35+Usb modded to G75