#1 ypg

ypg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850GC

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hello all, I own a CFX 9850GC Plus. I had bought it back in 2007 i think.

If i plug in an equation of the form a ÷ b(c+d) it interprets this as a ÷ [b(c+d)]
I.e when the multiplication symbol is not exclusively mentioned, the terms are assumed to be inside another set of parenthesis instead.

Does CASIO continue to use this convention in newer models? If so which ones? I made a bet with a friend over the infamous 6 ÷ 2(1+2) question on facebook so I want to know which calculators to suggest to him which use this convention

#2 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:07 AM

According to the Prizm, the newest calc, 6÷2(1+2) is sadly 1. I assume that it's like this in every model.

#3 TovAre

TovAre

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-991CW
    fx-9860GII SD
    fx-9700-GE

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

According to the Prizm, the newest calc, 6÷2(1+2) is sadly 1. I assume that it's like this in every model.

Division and multiplication has the same precedence level and the evaluation order is left to right, however the abreviated multiplication is at a higher level when placed in front of a function or parenthesis and even higher when placed in front of a variable.

I think it's an OK approach, suppose you have 6÷2A where A is (1+2), wouldn't you be surprised to find this to be 9 ?

The casio has the fraction [Ab/c] feature which has a higher precedence than abreviated multiplication to enter (6/2)*(1+2).

Edited by TovAre, 10 May 2011 - 11:41 PM.

#4 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

Division and multiplication has the same precedence level and the evaluation order is left to right, however the abreviated multiplication is at a higher level when placed in front of a function or parenthesis and even higher when placed in front of a variable.

From what I've learned, implied multiplication isn't supposed to be at a higher precedence level than normal multiplication and division.

I think it's an OK approach, suppose you have 6÷2A where A is (1+2), wouldn't you be surprised to find this to be 9 ?

9 makes sense.

A=(1+2)=3
6÷2A=6÷2*3=3*3=9

#5 TovAre

TovAre

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-991CW
    fx-9860GII SD
    fx-9700-GE

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

From what I've learned, implied multiplication isn't supposed to be at a higher precedence level than normal multiplication and division.
9 makes sense.

A=(1+2)=3
6÷2A=6÷2*3=3*3=9

Same precedence is also a standard of sorts. so you are right. However visually I think of 2A as one group ... multiplication with implied parenthesis due to layout, so X ÷ CATS doesn't look like (X ÷ C)ATS, but X ÷ (CATS).

TI for instance has gone both ways in the past, with the standard convention on later models.

I prefer the casio-way, especially considering that [Ab/c] looks very nice in math-mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users