• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crestu

crestu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 04:38 AM

I can remember seeing a program that let you 'chat' between Casio calculators a while ago. I recently bought a calculator to calculator cable and want to try it out. I heard that Send( and Recieve( dont work for calc-calc comunications. Is that true?
Does anyone know where I can get this program, I have a Casio 9850GP+

#2 Guest_Bytefish Productions_*

Guest_Bytefish Productions_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2003 - 07:04 AM

I think there was a program on hidetake jo's site.
The Program didnt work (i spend hours to type it in :D)...
Maybe you have luck and find a link to the site at casiocorner.rpd.nl (the old site...).
ok have fun.

/edit: yea send( and receive( just works in communication with pc or some other casio stuff, i cant remember exactely, just have a look at the casiocorner documents. :)

#3 rjstephens

rjstephens

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX9850GB+

Posted 02 June 2003 - 07:40 AM

yeah i tried that one too and it didn't work.

you need to build a special cable with a IC in it and stuff to convert the data if yu want to communicate between 2 calcs from within a program.

#4 genesis

genesis

UCF BASIC Programming Runner Up

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Speaking German, computers, defending CFX calculators...

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850 GB+

Posted 03 June 2003 - 07:43 AM

The Send( and Receive( functions may have some use. If you expand on the idea of the program 'Tamagotchi' (in CPA or CasioCorner), you may be able to create a replica of those famous pocket hand-held games where you build up a 'monster' and trade stats or fight with your friends. You could also adapt it to just about any game with the ability to trade items and battle, e.g. RPG's (the program transfers data between calcs, sets up a battle, and the opponents data is deleted at the end).

To do this, one calculator would have to be in the Link menu though... :( Just stay away from them, good alternating games on CFX is virtually impossible (who's number is closer?), let alone good simultaneous multiplayer games (when will someone figure out that two keys pressed down at the same time only sends ONE signal to the calculator?).

#5 rjstephens

rjstephens

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX9850GB+

Posted 06 June 2003 - 07:39 AM

yeah that's a problem. good multiplayer gaming on the calc is impossible. the send( and recieve( commands are completely useless unless you are willing to do a lot of work with a soldering iorn.

But transfering matrixes between two calculators with the link menu, that's not a bad idea...

that could have posibilities (i'm thinking pokemon type game)

#6 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:35 PM

yeah, then once the data from both calcs are on just one calc you could have the battle on the single calc. If you do this however you have to make sure that the data from the calc is not overwritten, so the game should have export function that puts the data to be transfered into a diffrent matrix (since the games will be the same they will use all the same variables).

This reminds me of something I put into a previous version of my RPG, I used to always have multiple save files in all my games because all my friends liked to (or were forced to :D ) test my games. anyway I got the idea to have interactive save files, basically each save could interact with the save you were currently using so if you walked into a town and a diffrent file had been saved there you could talk to that saves character or even fight him (you could be good or evil in this game), I was trying to figure out a fair way to be able to trade between the two characters wiithout being able to just rob one person blind but my data was erased before I ever finished. anyway, I was thinking that someone could do something like this with a link feature, sending one persons data to another calc then having that data be able to interact with the other persons data thereafter.

#7 genesis

genesis

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850 GB+

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:34 AM

Don't we all, CrimsonCasio, don't we all... It happens to all of us, and for some strange reason, it JUST HAS to be when we are nearly finished our BEST program. (Monopoly looked so good, I even programmed it with the board next to me).

It is easier said than done, you must remember, it takes forever to make RPG's and large games. First, you have to have a good idea that will work, then design plot, characters, items, weapons, maps (the hard one) and then start making the screens and menu's untill you get to the main loop and you scream in terror. It's amazing what you get out of them though. You made the whole thing, but you don't get bored when you play it the first time.

#8 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:17 AM

yeah, my problem is that I keep thinking of new things in the middle of making something and its almost always something that just can't be intigrated into the current project so I have to start over (repeat process about 200 times and you get my current RPG). If I ever do finish an RPG it will be the best thing anyone has every seen... at least for a calculator...

#9 Endi

Endi

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0 PLUS

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:17 PM

It's a very hard job, and I'm not sure if the huge project is worth working on.

There are, of course, some great (classical?) games like Duobab's Scorch, but look - there aren't many of us, who have an AFX. Not all owners know about add-ins (!).

The great game has to attract players not only once. Even Diablo on computer becomes boring after two wins.

If I made an RPG, it would be on a computer. Calc games should be good for a short free moment. The games which are made for being more serious are better and easier to make for comp.

Anyway, if you have done so much, I'd love to play it and check my opinion. Take up your spirits! B)

Returning to the topic: The AFX built-in program Link (or Tlink - can't remember) for linking two calculators seems to work. Why is it impossible to perform it in our programs?
Don't the Casio Robots want to help a bit? <_<

#10 genesis

genesis

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850 GB+

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:22 AM

Well... you see... I haven't really FINISHED that many games recently. I seriously can't be bothered making games, I prefer to get games off the internet and make them better. The only projects I'm working on now is Chaos, Sprite and Defender. I can't be bothered working on RPG's, I just about abandoned all of them: Exodus, Secret of Aan II, Knight, Zelda... a dozen text based RPG's based on Nintendo games... oh, and Worms.

Oh yeah, this post had a topic, can someone make a table of what you can and can't do through communications? (e.g. Send(, Receive( and Link Mode options, against computers and calculators)

#11 Guest_Bytefish Productions_*

Guest_Bytefish Productions_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:04 AM

This isnt exactly and sdk for calc to calc communictions, but calc <-> pc...
http://users.pandora.be/gp/casio/
A very nice and easy to use tool i think.
Even i wrote my tool in vb. (year ago or somewhat. :D)

#12 huhn_m

huhn_m

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1957 posts
  • Interests:Assembler(!!!)
    Computers and Programming
    Operating Systems
    Programmable Calculators
    Maths and everything arround it

• Calculators:
    FX-82SX / AFX 2.0+ (ROM 1.03) / FX 1.0+ (ROM 1.03)

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:05 PM

The problem with the send( / receive( commands is the folowing:

The handshake they send is for both 0x13 but the one of them expects another character to be send and so
com using these commands is only possible with a computer since you can't send bytes directly (only in an encoded format)

#13 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:07 PM

Returning to the topic: The AFX built-in program Link (or Tlink - can't remember) for linking two calculators seems to work. Why is it impossible to perform it in our programs?
Don't the Casio Robots want to help a bit? <_<

It is not impossible some programs (Gcom for example) can do it, the problem is that most programmers don't have 2 AFX to test their programs so that's why there is no game supporting network...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users