saad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

Hello to all,

I would like to ask the owners of prizm on their and opnion on prizm . do you guys think that it should been better? like having CAS out of the box or much faster processor to help speeder graphing in comparison to old casio models as well as ti nspire ?. Lets start with me , i am in my 3rd year of chemistry major , i bought prizm about 4 months a go and had fx-991ms as calculator from high school till i bought prizm . I started learning the functions on prizm immediately as i wanted to apply these to my chemistry given questiosn such as finding triple point carbon dioxide from given graph , complex calculation, finding unknown variable ,...etc. But i realized now that the calculator is limited as i started doing physical chemistry ( quantum mechanics for chemistry). For example, in my course i was asked to confrom that given schrodinger equation for certain electron is orthogonal equation , however the equation had imaginary symbol (i) and i had to integrated from 0 to 2pi but the calculator was not able as it can only do real numbers. another instance was to calculate the maximum probability of which a given schrodinger equation electron is found . But you cant do that on the calculator because it cannot solve the second derivative when x=0 as i found out later when i googled that. These are just many problems that faced as using the calculator. but someone is gonna ask , well you are only doing physical chemistry one time. The answer is unfortunately that i have at least 5 more courses of diffrent kinds of physical chemistry as specialized in materiel science . Now i am thinking whether i want to buy nscpire cas to solve my problems because i download the emulator and punched the equation that prizm couldn't solve and gave me the right answer . what should i do ?

Edited by saad, 25 April 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#2 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

My opinion is this:

I do not think the prizm should have CAS out-of-the-box, because that would disqualify it from a lot of tests. A third-party CAS, on the other hand, can be removed by the user or teacher for tests that do not allow it. Even having a CAS version would be a bad idea to me, the consumer, because for high school I would need the non-CAS version, and then I would be forced to buy another calculator when I go to college.

I think the processor could be sped up a little more, but you have to take into consideration that it would also lower battery life. I like using Pover though (by ashbad) because I can control the processor speed whenever I want.

The calculator can deal with imaginary numbers. In setup (accessed by pressing <span class=Shift' /> <span class=MENU' /> ) go to "Complex mode". Select a+bi.

I think that it would be great if someone could make an addin to do derivatives. I don't know if anyone has, but like I said, it would be great.

#3 saad

saad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thank you flyingfisch for response i already did that but it can't do it which is really interesting because this feature is supposed to work out of the box as advertised.

you can try that by integrating from 0 to 2pi of e^xi and see if it woks .

also the feature solveN for second derivative is suppose to work out of the box , and i learned that the older graphing cal had similar problem SolveN feature with second derivative which is kind sad because the developers ported older casio graphing models software without intention of fixing major bugs. As for ti nspire, they offer nspire non-cas model which have no bugs mentioned in above and lacks CAS which makes it acceptable in high school.

#4 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Why are you using SolveN?

Use:
Main Menu>Equation>Solver

Also, this calculator can not do derivatives, so I don't really understand what you are trying to do. Could you please explain a little more about that?

#5 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Relevent: http://www.cemetech....opic.php?t=7498

#6 saad

saad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Why are you using SolveN?

Use:
Main Menu>Equation>Solver

Also, this calculator can not do derivatives, so I don't really understand what you are trying to do. Could you please explain a little more about that?

You mean it cannot do symbolic derivatives , then yes. but it can do derivatives when you insert an x values. as for SolveN , basically i am asking the calar to give me the value of x for the second derivative of equation when its equal to zero that i want . example , suppose i have this simple equation (X^3)-6 if i need to find the values of x for second derivative when equal to 0 , i have to drive twice so it will be 6X-6, then equate it to zero and solve for x values in this case X=1. prizm cant do that for second derivative but it can do that only for first derivative . if you typed in prizm SolveN(dy/dx(x^3-6) will give a values of x=SQRT(2) when dy/dx=0 but cant do it for dy^2/d^2x which is kind sad :unsure:

#7 saad

saad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Relevent: http://www.cemetech....opic.php?t=7498

Thank you 42 , i am aware of that topic but i didn't get what you mean relating this to my topic ?????. at cemeteh, they are discussing on how casio is more open to allow development on their calculators which of couse i welcome that but here i am talking about serious bugs present in casio prizm that is need to be fixed and work as advertised feature

#8 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thank you 42 , i am aware of that topic but i didn't get what you mean relating this to my topic ?????. at cemeteh, they are discussing on how casio is more open to allow development on their calculators which of couse i welcome that but here i am talking about serious bugs present in casio prizm that is need to be fixed and work as advertised feature

It also discusses some of the pros and cons of the prizm, including inferior hardware, and a worse OS.

#9 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

It also discusses some of the pros and cons of the prizm, including inferior hardware, and a worse OS.

The prizm has inferior hardware and a worse OS???

#10 saad

saad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

The prizm has inferior hardware and a worse OS???

Yes it has inferior hardware compared to ti nscpire , nscpire CPU is much faster than prizm that is why it can do a lot of calculation fast . As for the OS, i don't think its bad , they both use the same language so in this case i disagree about inferior OS

#11 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yes it has inferior hardware compared to ti nscpire , nscpire CPU is much faster than prizm that is why it can do a lot of calculation fast . As for the OS, i don't think its bad , they both use the same language so in this case i disagree about inferior OS

Well, it does not support some of the same functions of the Nspire, so it may be argued that it has a worse os. The other thing with the os, is that it hasn't changed much from the fx9860 and earlier series of calculators, while TI has a different OS for each family, incorporating new features. However, since TI has a much more restrictive os, it could be argued that the improvements cancl themselves out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users