• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

I thought I would post about this because I was confused at first about the difference between programs and addins.

Apps
An iPhone has apps. Computers run applications. Your calculator runs addins.

Addins
Sometimes incorrectly referred to as "apps", these programs can be accessed through the Main Menu. They are stored in the Storage Memory. They are developed on the computer with C/C++ or ASM, and compiled using an SDK. They are the fastest type of program for your calculator because they are compiled and not interpreted.

Addins for the fx-9860 series are in the *.G1A format, and addins for the fx-CG PRIZM series are in the *.G3A series. There is no way to convert G3A <=> G1A without having access to the source code.

Casio-BASIC Programs
Also simply referred to as "programs". You access these through the "PRGM" function on the black-and-white calculator models, and the "Programs" function on the PRIZM. They are stored in the Main Memory. These programs are often slow, but they are the easiest to develop for beginners because you do not have the hassle of compiling and transferring files to your calculator to test the program. All you have to do is press F2 (EDIT) to edit the file.

BASIC Programs for the fx9860 series are in *.g1r, *.g1m, *.g2r, *.g2m format. The difference between g1* and g2* is that g2* will not work on calculators with an OS version below 2.0.

BASIC programs for the PRIZM are in *.g3r or *.g3m format. These can be converted to g2r/g2m for black and white models.

Other file formats
- g*e files are e-activities.
- *.lua and *.lc files can be run using Veb's Lua interpreter They are faster than BASIC programs but slower than C. These can be developed on-calc with this program.

Hope that was comprehensive. If any of the above is incorrect, feel free to post below so I can edit it :)

#2 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for explaining to everyone that calculators don't have "Apps".
Should put a link in the main forum in Tutorials too :nod:

#3 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I was getting a little tired of hearing people calling addins (or even BASIC progs) "apps". So I am going to point anyone who says the word "app" in connection with calculators to this page. :D

#4 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Apps
An iPhone has apps. Computers run applications. Your calculator runs addins.

These three are actually the exact same thing - the only difference is the name. (Of course, you can't run something made for a different platform than the one you're using, but that doesn't mean that it's not an app/application.

#5 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

These three are actually the exact same thing - the only difference is the name. (Of course, you can't run something made for a different platform than the one you're using, but that doesn't mean that it's not an app/application.

I agree that they are all applications.

But to call an addin an app can be confusing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users