• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX 9850Ga+, Classpad 300

Posted 15 August 2003 - 02:15 PM

This topic is so I can get some feedback on my RPG which many of you know I have been working on for some time, its getting alot closer to compleation and I'm about ready to do a beta release.

here are the features if they have a * next to them they are planed features and not actually written yet so they may not work as planned. if they have a + then they are only partially done but will work once they are finished.

Main Game
> random battles (this game does not feature many random battles as it is a game of strategy)
> Sidescrolling (up,down,left,right)
> + Story triggers (battles, dialog, etc...)
> Terain interaction (jumping, climbing, battle setup, etc...)
> + Terain manipulation (cut down trees, grow trees, etc...)
> Enter and exit buildings/caves/whatever

Top Down Mode (inside)
> * Multiple rooms
> Tiles
> interaction with people
> + shops
> * Doungeons

Battle Mode
> up to 3 vs 5 battles
> 10x10 grid containing terrain features resembling the main screen
> terrain features include: grass, wood, bushes, bolders, rocks, tiles...
> bolders block shots
> Auto targeting system (finds all available targets and points to them)
> * Terain manipulation
> Strategic bonuses
> Hidden Traps
> + Enchantment Spells
> * Multi Casting, this allows you to cast spells multiple times a turn with multiple targets, however they cost more for each additional casting (a spell thats costs 10mp cast 3 times costs 42mp) this keeps low level spells form becomming useless, since you will be able to afford higher costs you will essentially be able to level up all your spells. in a desperate situaltion you might drain your mp to unleash armageddon on your enemys.
> * 3 AI levels, 1) stupid, they just rush you 2) intermediate, they stratigically approach you using cover and long range attacks 3) hard, they will make you come to them, making use of terain features and long range combat to lay waste to your pathic forces :lol: if given the chance and tools they will dig in and pick off your party one by one. level 1 is used in random battles, 2 is used in story battles and 3 is used for bosses.

Story
here are the basics of the story:
There is civil war in the land of Lydonia, a power struggle between the 7 schools of magic resulted in the loss of many valuable magical items, these items were actively sought by kings, nobles, and peasents alike, as possesing one meant great power. The king of Lydonia was weak and had for many years been manipulated by the school Chancellors, suddenly without a power base the king was usurped by his nephew. The new king made an alliance with the School of Fire, pleging to recover the lost items of magic and annihilate the so called "shamans" who used them. Thus the king assembled a great army, the like of which the world had never seen, shamans who joined the kings army were given clemancy and promised entry level positions into the School of Fire.

The nobles who had suddenly gained so much power were reluctant to part with it so quickly and began assembling armys of their own, gathering shamans to them as well. The other schools were displeased with the actions taken by the School of Fire, they wanted only to eliminate the shamans and recover the objects of magic thus they offered great rewards to any who could bring them one of the lost objects, this lead many mercenaries to seek the prizes.

You come into the story when you purcase a old book from a peddler, it is obviosly magical but it only has 5 pages in it, the rest have been torn out. You have been wanting to make a name for yourself in the upcomming war and you see this as your ticket to glory, at the very least it will get you into the School of Fire, and it may turn out that the book has more powers than is at first appearent...

Game System
Leveling up in this game is done in several ways, first is through experiance points, second is by finding magical powerups, and third is by finding pages of the Book. the first gives you physical bonuses, the second gives magical bonuses, and the last gives you more spells.

This is a non liner game, if you want you can go back to the begining, or just about any other place you have been to, also there is more than one way to play, you will be able to choose which side you ally with and what kind of role you play. one path could lead you to directing legions in battle when another could place you as a lowly regiment commander. but which ever way you choose you will be swept up in the great war which is raging throughout the continent, who will win is up to you...

ok, if you want to ask a question or post a comment please do so, but please no "sounds good" or anything like that, if you want to say something make it a meaningfull comment.

bye the way this is only going to fit on the AFX, its already 39847b and its not done yet... :hammer:

------------EDIT------------
since this game is partially made to emulate warfare if someone in your party is killed then thats it for them, start wrighting your eulogy. in most cases this wont matter, the only person imperative to the story is you, and since you will almost always be part of a larger force you will have plenty of soldiers to fill the boots of a dead teamate. There are some unique characters which cannot be replaced, they have special abilities which are useful, but more importantly some options may not be available to you if one of them dies.

Also you should note that all party members can level up but only you learn new spells.

Edited by CrimsonCasio, 30 August 2003 - 05:32 PM.

#2 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 15 August 2003 - 04:05 PM

Hey, that actually sounds good! And I mean it! So it's a meaningful post! Makes me want to go back to programming again sometime in the future...

Oh, and you mean etc. when you write ect.?

#3 Bob Vila

Bob Vila

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

• Calculators:
    FX 1.0+ : CFX-9850 GB Plus : TI-81

Posted 15 August 2003 - 04:13 PM

sounds pretty cool, too bad i dont have a afx :(

#4 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:Claculators, Stephen King, Video Games, Calculators, Programming, Calculators, Reading, Calculators... hmm, what else... Ah! Calculators!

• Calculators:

Posted 15 August 2003 - 04:23 PM

yeah, by ect I mean etcetra (I'll change it). its all the other things I either haven't thought up yet or just didn't remember at the time.

for all of you without an AFX there MAY be a CFX version, I do have plans on makeing a little battle demo so that you can see what your missing though... :D

also there are several secrets in the game, but you will have to figure them out for your self. I'm planning this game so that you could potentially play it 4-5 times and never get the same storyline.

Glad to here it makes you want to program again killer. :)

#5 Endi

Endi

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0 PLUS

Posted 15 August 2003 - 05:29 PM

Sounds like a real game to play for a month :rolleyes: .
I'm waiting for the moment I can get it.

#6 Brazzucko

Brazzucko

UCF BASIC Programming Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Calculators:
    FX 1.0, CFX 9850 GB Plus and FX 9750G

Posted 15 August 2003 - 07:29 PM

:D This looks like a BASIC game right?..

You probably found this problem like I did, make great graphical and fast games in BASIC, this is what makes me interested on the BASIC, this is a real challenger?.

#7 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 August 2003 - 07:32 PM

yes, this is in BASIC, its the product of five years of experimentation. when you guys play this you will be playing 5 years of my life.

#8 Brazzucko

Brazzucko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 August 2003 - 08:01 PM

:blink: WHAT????? Five years, so this was originally a CFX game right, and only now you make it for the AFX ( using they new capabilities for graphical games )?

Generally I make one game in 2/3 weeks, I never make ?big? games, but now for the competition I?m making my real first ?big? game ( more than 20KB ), well they are enormous because of the ?graphical quality? of this game ( they use a loot of F-Line and PlotOn commands ).

Well so good luck for your game and just wait for my game?.. :D :lol: B)

#9 ross8653

ross8653

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:paintball

• Calculators:
    9850 fx2.0

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:48 PM

check my tetris basic game, if i can make that deciently fast in basic anyone can. it took me like a year to write tetris but half that time was making it go faster. i think from the first version to the last it went 8x faster.

#10 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:56 PM

nice, its about the same for this game, I cant count the times I've started from scratch trying to make it better. have you checked out my TET game, its very fast.

#11 casiokingdom

casiokingdom

UCF BASIC Programming 2nd Place

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX-9850GB PLUS WE, fx-9860G AU

Posted 16 August 2003 - 12:48 AM

Sounds like a great game.

can't wait till you release it.

Make sure you create a CFX version.

BTW: how can you work on a game for 5 years? It's much toooo looong. :rock:

#12 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 01:19 AM

well I consider the first time I tried to make this game to be in 9th grade, but I had already developed some techniqes in the previous year, Its kinda been my mission in life to create a game so amazing that people wouldn't believe that it could be done on a calculator. the first versions had the trademark jump and climb abilites and the side and top down views but none of the other features. To this day I have never finished a game with Lydonia as its name, this will be the first and the last (unless I make a sequel on the classpad).

I guess I'm kinda obsessed with making this game.

#13 casiokingdom

casiokingdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 01:36 AM

Well, you sure have dedication. With me i like small short games.
It's the most popular at my school, that's why i create quite simple games. My first game was Kingdom. That was a big hit. Everyone had it at school. Then i created SPEED which most math classes were playing. However when i released EMPIRE at my school, only about ten played it or are still playing it. It's too large for there CFX calcs, as most don't have a computer cable. We have to use it for notes, math programs and games. most people are still trying to store their notes from the start of the year on their calcs, so thus big games aren't an option for them. Nowadays i'm focusing on simple but useful programs, like PColours.

Good luck on your game Crimson.
:rock:

#14 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 01:41 AM

must be nice to have so many people with casios in your school, I've never know more than 5 people in my school of 5000 that have casio calcs, and only one was an AFX (I convinced him to get it) the rest were like FX-7700 or something (the ones that didn't have link cables).

#15 casiokingdom

casiokingdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 01:48 AM

well, remember, my whole school is told to use the same calc (cfx9850). Also a number have calc-calc link cables, so thus games and programs can spread quickly around the school.

I'm already known for my ability to program, as most can't yet.

BTW: those fx models aren't good, don't you agree. they don't have colour and i think have less mem.:rock:

#16 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 02:07 AM

plus they dont have Text, Locate, or GetKey (shudder), plus the screen is smaller! I once made a game for someone using that kind of calc, just a simple horse race game... that was hard, I had to write out some of the text pixel by pixel. that guy was one of the ones who put his name on my game, and he even had the gall to do it before I was finished making it! :profanity:

#17 casiokingdom

casiokingdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 02:12 AM

what a loser!

that's what i call no gratitude.

it seems like you can program almost any calc, Crimson.

Those horse racing game were quite popular at the start of the year at my schoo, when no one knew how to program, including me. i think someone got it from his math teacher. :rock:

#18 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 02:25 AM

now thats funny, at my school teachers didn't have a clue about anything a casio could do, they saw the 5 people with the obsoleat modles and thought that was all a casio could do, before test where some calcs weren't allowed all I had to do was say "casio" and they lost intrest in me for the period :D ... I cant believe they never figured it out, I was always done at least 10 minutes before everyone else and rarely missed a problem, it got to the point where I started programming after I finished the test and waited for a few other people to finish before I got up. :lol:

#19 casiokingdom

casiokingdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 02:34 AM

it got to the point where I started programming after I finished the test and waited for a few other people to finish before I got up.  :lol:

that's what i do sometimes when i finish early. but now i'm trying to go over my work again to check for any stupid errors. i always make silly mistakes. :rock:

#20 ross8653

ross8653

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

• Calculators:
    9850 fx2.0

Posted 16 August 2003 - 04:53 AM

you guys know there's a chat room right? cause the last 10 posts were by ya heh

#21 casiokingdom

casiokingdom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 05:06 AM

you guys know there's a chat room right? cause the last 10 posts were by ya heh

what's a chat room? (just kidding). i don't like talking about other stuff, only calcs. i'm a total nerd!!!!!!

#22 ross8653

ross8653

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

• Calculators:
    9850 fx2.0

Posted 16 August 2003 - 05:15 AM

there's a chatroom FOR the ucf sorry i should clarify

#23 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 16 August 2003 - 05:29 AM

really, where?

#24 ross8653

ross8653

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

• Calculators:
    9850 fx2.0

Posted 16 August 2003 - 05:41 AM

um used to be on what dalnet? #ucn-chat i guess it's not up anymore, i can idle somewhere to keep a chan but most people dont use irc much, and especially that we are all in different time zones no one is ever on at the same time.

but considering the last 4 posts have taken place in under an hour it's needed

#25 Andy.Davies

Andy.Davies

Forum Ghost

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Interests:Age: 18
    Studying: MEng in cybernetics at Reading uni
    Interests: Progaming (VB, VB.Net, C#, Casio Basic)
    Computers UBBD (Using, Building, Breaking &amp; Destroying)
    Gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG)
    Electronics
    Rock Music (Preferably Loud)
    Riley's (Pool &amp; Snooker Bar)
    Driving (Preferably fast)
    Aikedo (Martial Art)

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX 2.0 ROM 1.01, FX9750G

Posted 16 August 2003 - 08:19 AM

in my iold school there were about 8000 and only five people had graphic calcs, and thats cos the math department was selling them 4half price ( ?30 uk pounds for the FX9750G) i was the only one with a link cable (Casio To Casio and Casio To PC) both of which i made myself!

#26 Killer83Z

Killer83Z

Casio CEO

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Piano, Music, UCN<br />

• Calculators:
    Algebra FX2.0, CFX-9850G, fx-7000G, fx-7500G, TI-83, HP100lx

Posted 16 August 2003 - 09:38 AM

No, that wasn't on dalnet, the server where the UCF chat was on is now blocking all irc clients like mIRC and trillian.

Ok, I will create #ucn-chat on dalnet soon.

#27 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 17 August 2003 - 03:14 PM

new update:you may recall that I was working on a greyscale engine for the AFX Basic, I determined that it would be unuseable in a games runtime, but it will work great for the title screen...

#28 Brazzucko

Brazzucko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:34 PM

:lol: I try to do the same but in BASIC this are only useful in the title screen, well in theory we can make a BASIC gray game but they will certain extremely slow, maybe you can do it on the GassPad, I don?t know because I never see one and I don?t know his capabilities and limitations, if I have time I will do it in my game?.

#29 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:24 PM

update: I optimized the main runtime, now movement is slightly faster.

#30 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:52 PM

sucsessfully implemented the plot trigger system today, allowing for lots of dynamic screens.

#31 Brazzucko

Brazzucko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:37 PM

:D When we will see your game?, I?m curious?.. :D

#32 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:38 PM

I am very close to releasing a battle demo, after that it should just be a matter of making a plot...

#33 Brazzucko

Brazzucko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:42 PM

:blink: Well this means that we have to wait for your game right?, Anyway I hope that you keep the good work

#34 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:46 PM

I'm trying hard to have it come out about the time the competition (basic) ends, I dont want to release it before or imediately after though since it would be a distraction to all the other games comming out. I will provide it to the winner though if its done and they want it.

#35 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 30 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

Two things: first, I finally compleated the attack code, now you can actually hurt your enemys (you cant kill them yet, but you can hurt them for eternity if you want!).

second, I had another idea of how to make the game more real: since it is a "Tactical Warfare Simulator" I decided that unlike most games which have a little tutorial thing everyone has to go through at the start of each game this one wont tell you anything. thats right, when you start playing you will have no idea what you are doing, no instructions, no hints, the only way you can learn things is through the various situations you could be placed in, so for example you inlisted in the army, you would be taught the things that they value in a soldier: close range combat, strategic use of the land, working as a team... they wouldn't care much about teaching you how to use magic effectively or various other things. however if you took another path you might be taught something else entirely, your skill and power in the game would reflect your real skill at playing, not just some ficticious stats and experaince points.

Also, the more times you played the game, the better you would become.

#36 Andy.Davies

Andy.Davies

Forum Ghost

• [Legends]
  • 1547 posts
    Gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG)
    Electronics
    Aikedo (Martial Art)

• Calculators:

Posted 30 August 2003 - 05:01 PM

sounds cool, when can i get my hands (or calc) on it?

#37 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 30 August 2003 - 05:05 PM

the full game, probably a month or two if I keep working on it a little every day. I a week or two I should be realeasing the battle demo where you will be able to test out the AI and fight aginst several sample enemys, including me! (hehehe) :hammer:

you will have to have an AFX to play the full game however, the battle system alone will take up almost all the memory of the CFX series.

current size: 30116+5466+387+6183=42152

thats just the game engine (and its not done yet), this doesn't include the plot.

#38 Andy.Davies

Andy.Davies

Forum Ghost

• [Legends]
  • 1547 posts
    Gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG)
    Electronics
    Aikedo (Martial Art)

• Calculators:

Posted 30 August 2003 - 07:06 PM

oh, i only have 32K :( i was going to expand it using the technique on that hacking site, but i cant get hold of the chip, and im not quite sure i trust my english translation B)

though i would love to do beta testing for the battle part

#39 CrimsonCasio

CrimsonCasio

UCF Ambassador

• [Legends]
  • 3579 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 30 August 2003 - 08:15 PM

sure, I'm going to need testers.

on that note, if anyone would like to beta test please post answers to these questions:

1) What Calculator Model do you have?
2) How much memory does it have?
3) Do you have experiance programming Casio Basic
4) In general, what type of character would you play with.

if you have a 32k model and want to beta test your job will be testing the battle system, the enemy AI's, the targeting system, the spell system, and lots of other things... the battle system will require its own group of testers since its so complex. B)

anyway, if you find a bug you can report it here, it needs to list these things:
Type: Syn, Arg, Mem, Logical (just does something its not supposed to), etc...
Program: Name of the program it occurs in
Situation: what you were doing when it happend
Position: Type out the code where the error occurs, 3 lines in each direction will be good.
Enviornment: generally what the battle looked like (what enemys, the terrain type, the # of enemys and the number of people in your party)

anyway, I'll mail it out to testers after I do a bit more.

#40 Bob Vila

Bob Vila

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

• Calculators:
    FX 1.0+ : CFX-9850 GB Plus : TI-81

Posted 30 August 2003 - 11:11 PM

1. CFX-9850 GB+
2. 32 kb
3. little bit