• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RufusVS

RufusVS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Calculators:
    I don't have any fancy CASIC calculators, but I have Casio Label maker, and I'm trying to make use of them through the data interface used by CASIO calculators!

Posted 26 February 2023 - 05:31 AM

I just picked up an old Casio KL-2000 label printer (I also have the KL-60.  I noticed the KL-2000 has a communication mode

and port on the side that was meant for a calculator (or possibly computer) interface I believe.  I would love to be able to 

load and unload labels from my PC rather than keying them in on the keyboard.

Casio is out of the label printing business and only sells tape cartridges, so they aren't much help.

I would rather not have to buy a compatible calculator and interface cable to get this to work.  I imagine it is just a 

serial connection and from searching the Web it looks like a simple 9600 baud interface, but without knowing the

protocol (or for that matter, knowing which pins on the connector are what) I don't think I'm going to be able to do 

it.

Does anyone have access to the protocol documentation and/or schematics for the cabling?  Or point me in the

right direction.  I certainly won't get far as the label printer is probably a receive only device, so I can't just throw

characters at it hoping to see results.

I currently have USB Uarts with RS232, RS485, and TTL versions, so I imagine one of them might work.  Or

advice on the most recently supported hardware.

Plus, of course the protocol, or program source code that did the communication that I might be able to read

enough of to create my own driver.  (I am an Embedded Software Engineer, so I can read most computer 

language and write in several, so that won't be a problem)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: labeler, printer, serial, kl-2000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users