bcgsr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850G
    TI V200

Posted 14 October 2002 - 05:09 PM

I know we just had a threat about that (http://casiocalc.org...act=ST&f=1&t=51) but the title was not adressing the problem so here a new post/poll.

There obviously is a problem with Win XP and cables but since I am not a programmer and don't know if that problem can be solved (plug in, new program, new settings) or not.

I have no WXP myself so I can't talk from experience but I see that Win XP is coming and if there's no way for new casio owners to get their casios hooked up to the pc this community will be pointless sometime :(

Are there any ideas? (Petition to Casio to release FA-124.. ;)

Stefan

#2 bcgsr

bcgsr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850G
    TI V200

Posted 14 October 2002 - 10:29 PM

I just saw that somebody clicked on "my cable works with XP"...

I would appreciate to know more details about that "case".

TNX, Stefan

#3 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 05:42 AM

i was it.
sorry, but i can't say many to you, because i had win xp installed some month ago and i wasn't contently and i returned to win98.
i have a self-made cable and i used the FA-123.
Could it be that it don't work at you because of the different revision of win xp? did you installed all avaiable windows-updates? which motherboard with which chipset do you have?

bye

rstweb

#4 Guest_Bytefish Productions_*

Guest_Bytefish Productions_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2002 - 09:27 AM

I have to say i dont understand that.
I have Windows 2000 myself and it just worked fine. (i dunno where my cable is :()
Ok it didnt really work 100% i got a transmit error... but this wasnt really important, cause the programs were transmitted correctly.
I thought win xp has the nt5 kernel too?!
Hmmm no idea sorry.

#5 Exca

Exca

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 12:29 PM

In 2k I also get transmit error in 100% but that doesn't matter if I add some files to drives, but when making new system-file then the calc must be reset.

#6 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 05:04 PM

I thought win xp has the nt5 kernel too?!

it depends on which windows xp you have:
windows xp home edition or
windows xp professionel

home edition works has a improved win98 kernel.
professionel has the nt5 kernel.

bye

rstweb

#7 c@sioworld

c@sioworld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 08:43 PM

i have no prob with windows xp home edition

#8 Martin

Martin

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:asm on cfx9850

• Calculators:
    fx82l
    fx7700GB
    cfx9850G
    TI92
    fx9860G SD
    Rheinmetall KEL IIc
    H. W. Ebmeyer - Tarema
    fx cg20

Posted 16 October 2002 - 01:39 PM

home edition works  has a improved win98 kernel.
professionel has the nt5 kernel.

This is NOT true!
Both XP Home and XP Professional have the same kernel, XP Home have some additional code, which disables some features (for example it has hardcoded:
if(logon_username = "Administrator" && NotSafeMode()) then DisableLogon() ).

#9 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 05:23 PM

i've tested home edition and professional.
on the home edition games, who are only avaiable for win98 and compatible works fine, but programs for nt don't work.
on the professional edition programs for win98 and compatible don't work but programs only for nt works fine.

home has the same bugs like win98 and professional has the same bugs like nt. but professional hasn't the same problems like home (ok, some are the same but not all! the most aren't equal).

bye

rstweb

#10 Exca

Exca

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 09:14 PM

Last engine based on 98 - 95 - dos, was windows me. Everything after windows 2000 are based on nt kernel. The reason why xp home edition crashes is because it has way too much multimedia thingies...

#11 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 11:04 PM

a friend of me says the same like me!

but why does games, who works on win98 and not on win2000 on winxp home???

bye

rstweb

#12 Exca

Exca

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 01:13 PM

win xp is newer than 2k, that's the reason. And by installing the latest service packs to 2k almost all 98 games/programs work then...

#13 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 04:19 PM

but only because the kernel is patched by the service pack! i asked at 2 (!) computer shops what the difference between professional and home is and i got the same answer! (home - 98 kernel; professional - nt kernel)
the next time i met a microsoft-licensed admin, i will ask him what the difference between both is.

bye

rstweb

#14 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 17 October 2002 - 04:48 PM

I read sime time ago on the internet that the only differencies are the services available: for example on XP pro you'll have telnet, ftp and things for devellopers only...

#15 Exca

Exca

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 06:47 PM

but only because the kernel is patched by the service pack! i asked at 2 (!) computer shops what the difference between professional and home is and i got the same answer! (home - 98 kernel; professional - nt kernel)
the next time i met a microsoft-licensed admin, i will ask him what the difference between both is.

bye

rstweb

They were wrong :)
98 is based on dos and you can't find dos from xp.

#16 Guest_Bytefish Productions_*

• Guests

Posted 17 October 2002 - 06:48 PM

Both xp home and pro sucks.
windows 2000 is the best of all windows. =)

#17 Guest_MathManiac_*

Guest_MathManiac_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2002 - 09:23 PM

i Add no problems with any of the "nt releases" of windows (nt/2k/XP)
the only thig that don't work on those windows versions are the Casio Official Language packs.

#18 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 06:20 AM

98 is based on dos and you can't find dos from xp.

sure? B) it isn't a problem to get DOS from XP. Search a little in the internet and you will find something!
it is the same at win me. microsoft told that there's no no DOS avaiable, but after some little modifications - voila, there's DOS!

bye

rstweb

#19 Exca

Exca

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 11:31 AM

Me, 98 and 95 are based on dos. The thing that you can run dos programs in xp is due to emulation of older os's. And if you mean the command prompt (which looks like dos, it's not dos, it's only a command prompt)

#20 Guest_Bytefish Productions_*

• Guests

Posted 18 October 2002 - 11:38 AM

I am pretty sure rstweb knows about the dos prompt.
He means something else i think. :)
The coolest thing about nt and all others is that you can have the windows 3.1 shell with some little modifications. =)

#21 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 08:26 PM

oh no! not win 3.1! i'm happy that the old times are passed away (my new old laptop will work with win3.1 :D )
i meant something else, but i don't know how i could it better describe.

bye

rstweb

#22 Thunderhead

Thunderhead

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 06:42 AM

you've got windows xp ?

#23 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 09:04 AM

Yes. Simply go into the next computer shop... :D

bye

rstweb

#24 2072

Casio over god

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Alternative states of consciousness, programming, making things work the best they possibly can.

• Calculators:
    AFX2 ROM 1.02, CFX-9940GT+, FX-180P-Plus

Posted 20 October 2002 - 01:30 AM

Win 3.11 is nothing without PCTOOLS! Do you know this wonderfull thing ? It has no equivalence even now, I think it was Symantec who did that but I'm not sure (micro$oft (or macroshit? - I never remind - ) just copy a part of it for doing win95...). The thing that is really wonderfull with it is that you can have a multi-desktop and each desktop have it's own settings and icon organization...

==========> Micro$hit never create it always steal ! (that could be their slogan !).

#25 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 09:11 AM

i know what you mean! if you have a nVidia graphicadapter the newest driver has such a little tool integrated, but i don't know if this tool is better than PCTOOLS.

no comment to micro$oft.

bye

rstweb

#26 bcgsr

bcgsr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX 9850G
    TI V200

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:07 PM

Okay, let's get back to the toppic... which was whether interface software runs on Win XP or not.

With 5 people saying that their cable works with Win XP there obviously isn't a problem... right?

I sold an interface to somebody who now claims it not to be working. Since I never tested the software on XP systems but surely tested that interface before I shipped it I assumed the problem to be Win XP.

My question to those 5 people is what software they used, what kind of cable they used (commercial, self-made) and if it was just as easy as installing and running the software.

Thanks!

#27 Misel

Misel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:48 PM

Maybe someone can help me with this.

I have Win2k as OS and the communication worked flawlessly. I use the FX-Link-Kit and it installs some drivers so that the software can access the comport - that's what I guess. It worked with the Add-in Installer and FA-123 as well.

But now it doesn't. I rebooted, reinstalled the software and rechecked the comport settings but it just doesn't work anymore.

Any idea which service must be active and how the ports must be configured (what baudrate)?

thanx
-Misel

#28 Guest_Bytefish Productions_*

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:59 PM

I was using Fa 122... it worked.

#29 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 06:27 PM

to bcgsr:
i used a self-made cable (a modification from the one with MAX232 that is avaiable at casiocorner) and, i'm not sure, but it hink it was this software, FA-123.
it was relatively easy. i made some mistakes at the installation but then it worked.

bye

rstweb

#30 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:21 AM

to bcgsr:
i used a self-made cable (a modification from the one with MAX232 that is avaiable at casiocorner) and, i'm not sure, but it hink it was this software, FA-123.

Okay, that's the case I heard of. MAX compatible interface with FA-123 / CasioCom link software. And it didn't work.

Now the problem is to find out what the reason is that it works for some people and for some not.

#31 rstweb

rstweb

Casio Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:39 AM

Yes. I don't know when I will install WinXP again, but at the moment i work with Windows ME. I will see when I install XP again.

bye

rstweb

#32 missy06

missy06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 01:20 PM

Hi!

Here is missy06, I have the problem with WinXP Prof. and the interface from BCGSR.

Answers to the questions "Which WinXP-version has which kernel?" or "Is WinXP Home like Win98?" do you find on this microsoft-sites perhaps: :blink:
http://www.microsoft...storyintro.mspx (English)
http://www.microsoft...story/zeit1.htm (German)
http://www.microsoft...o/vergleich.htm (detailed comparison with all Win-versions and WinXP Prof, sorry German)
http://www.microsoft...e/vergleich.htm (detailed comparison with Win9x, WinME and WinXP Home, sorry German)
http://www.microsoft...p/vergleich.htm (detailed comparison with WinXP Prof and WinXP Home, sorry German)

Markus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users