Photo
- - - - -

Classpad Vs. Ti Nspire: Which Is Better Folks?

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_ASTRO491K_*

Guest_ASTRO491K_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:44 AM

Quote Guset ASTRO491K(Well for starters, the touch screen, and 3d graphing, and Laplace transforms and inverse Laplace transforms, and Fourier transforms, and please understand that none of that stuff is kiddie math like pie charts. In addition, what is seriously lacking is some standout math capability that would make nspire the more desirable product. It just doesn't have such features and because it lacks what other calculators have, it is obvous that the other calculators are the better buy. greengrin.gif) Another point I was also making is that for high school students they need a calc that will be allowed on their test. The classpad's qwerty keyboard is a serious drawback in this respect :banghead:. Another thing I've heard about classpad on this forum is that you must pay for os updates :o . You be the judge on this. It might not even be true, its just something that I read on this forum. Definantly for high school students the classpad is clearly not the best choice. And for college, a pc program will do just fine. I honestly don't see any reason to purchase a classpad. You can't use it in school, you may have to pay for updates, it cost just as much as a nspire that can be used in school, and it lacks math functionality that high school students badly need like convert sin to cos, and you can find pc programs for college that do far more than a classpad for the same price. By far the inability to use the classpad on test out ways anything the nspire lacks. It might be a good calc but for students what is the advantage of good calc that they can't use on test when there are other good calcs that can be used on test and lack math functions that they don't need, like laplace. Some high school student may not have ever heard of laplace.

Ok, I understand what you are saying about high school and how something like Mathematica of Maple would be a good choice for college, however it is not likely that it will be up to the student to choose between a laptop or a calculator, although when a calculator is required, while there might be some recommendation, it is usually up to the student to choose what calculator he or she will use. In saying that, I want to point out that there is great variation between college courses because college and university teachers have far more freedom than high school teaching which is more standardized. Now here is the kicker. You are going to be to busy and challenged learning to subject material to deal with learning a new calculator at the same time. In fact, you are at a disadvantage if you are not thoroughly familiar a really good CAS calculator such as the Classpad, or HP50 or even the TI-89 "before" you go to college. Yes, you might be able to survive with the nspire "cas model" but if you are an engineering or physics major trying to get by with the nspire is laughable.

So you really need to get used to a good calculator before going to college and that might mean occasionally borrowing a different calculator to take a high school test with. Discuss that possibility with your teacher. My point is this, because you definitely need something better than an nspire in college (unless of course you are an english or history major), and since you really need to know your calculator well before you go to college, high school teachers that use or require the expensive nspire, when the less expensive and easier to operate TI-83 or 84 will do just as well (and can be chucked in the trash when you go to college), are doing their students a big disservice, and they need to really think about that. Can you now see why I question the judgement of high school teachers that teach their students how to use the nspire calculator. That is wasted time, money, and effort that probably won't be of any future value. In addition most college math (as opposed to engineering) courses won't even allow you to use a calculator, so what in the world are our high school teachers doing by creating a dependency on calculators. That is a very bone headed move. Yeh, the teacher gets to play with a new toy that props up his/her math capabililty, but it sure doesn't do the student any good. :nonono:

#82 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:09 AM

Quote Guset ASTRO491K(Can you now see why I question the judgement of high school teachers that teach their students how to use the nspire calculator.) Yes I do now understand what you are saying. But what I sitll don't understand is why do you all give the ti 89 a better rating when it has nothing to offer over the nspire cas? It is harder to use, cost much more than the nspire, and doesn't offer nearly the same functionality as the nspire. Surely it ought to be the one that teaches shouldn't recommend. And again please! please! please! tell me what math functions does the nspire lack that it ought to called second rate and lacking standout math functions is not something to call it second rate. The only reasons you all have given as for calling nspire a second rate product is the lack of laplace and fourier and a few other "not too critical" math functions. To put it plainly no body has given a truly justifiable reason to abandon the nspire

Oh well what other response should I expect considering this is a casio forum :( ? If I posted this at googlegroups/nspire they would agree in a heartbeat.

#83 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Quote Guset ASTRO491K(Can you now see why I question the judgement of high school teachers that teach their students how to use the nspire calculator.) Yes I do now understand what you are saying. But what I sitll don't understand is why do you all give the ti 89 a better rating when it has nothing to offer over the nspire cas? It is harder to use, cost much more than the nspire, and doesn't offer nearly the same functionality as the nspire. Surely it ought to be the one that teaches shouldn't recommend. And again please! please! please! tell me what math functions does the nspire lack that it ought to called second rate and lacking standout math functions is not something to call it second rate. The only reasons you all have given as for calling nspire a second rate product is the lack of laplace and fourier and a few other "not too critical" math functions. To put it plainly no body has given a truly justifiable reason to abandon the nspire

Oh well what other response should I expect considering this is a casio forum :( ? If I posted this at googlegroups/nspire they would agree in a heartbeat.

First of all, the only bias I have towards the Classpad is based on it being a superior device compared to nspire and that is the subject of this thread. Yes, you can go to the googlegroups/nspire site to hear what you want to hear, but there you will not be allowed to have the kind of open discussion that we are having. There the people are pursueing their finincial interests.

Next, you might consider Laplace transforms to be not important but when you get into calculus you will find that the real world is described almost entirely by differential equations and Laplace transforms are the basis for solving them so they are essential for engineering and scientific work.

As for price, you will find the following at Amazon.com:
Ti-nspire handheld w/touch pad $144.77
Casio Classpad330 $144.12
But do understand that the Casio is a cas calculator and the nspire is not so pricing the nspire the same as a cas calculator is a big rip off! In additon the TI-89 at $136.54 being a cas calculator is a far better buy than the nspire and technically it is a better calculator. Perhaps you can plot curves in two dimentions but later you will need to know what surfaces plot like and that requires 3d graphing which the casio, 89 have but the nspire and nspire cas don't.

As for stuff like Laplace transforms being "not too critical" math, I'm sorry but you just don't know that you are talking about. As I said, the real world is described almost entirely by differential equations and Laplace transforms are the basis for solving them but from a high school math point of view you would not know that.

As for your statement "To put it plainly no body has given a truly justifiable reason to abandon the nspire." That is not true, you simply reject the reality that I have given you in previous posts but that is your choice. Go ahead and waste your time, effort and money on a product that won't have any future value to you.

And now I have to catch up on other things. If I havn't helped you by now, it just isn't possible. :rolleyes:

#84 Guest_Tycho Brahe_*

Guest_Tycho Brahe_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

As for price, you will find the following at Amazon.com:
Ti-nspire handheld w/touch pad $144.77
Casio Classpad330 $144.12
But do understand that the Casio is a cas calculator and the nspire is not so pricing the nspire the same as a cas calculator is a big rip off! In additon the TI-89 at $136.54 being a cas calculator is a far better buy than the nspire and technically it is a better calculator.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you, but I'm probably confused. The Nspire CAS with Touchpad has CAS doesn't it ? It's about $140.00 at Amazon right now. Or are you saying that it's not good CAS ?

#85 Guest_Charlie_*

Guest_Charlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

I'm not sure I'm understanding you, but I'm probably confused. The Nspire CAS with Touchpad has CAS doesn't it ? It's about $140.00 at Amazon right now. Or are you saying that it's not good CAS ?

I just did some searches for these calcluators on Amazon and looked at the prices, which by the way seem to change daily. The 89 titanium is still at $136.54. The casio Classpad330 is now at $145.74 which is a few cents higher. For nspire plain and cas versions go to this link:

http://www.amazon.co...2...838&sr=1-10

Then scroll down about a page to where the heading says "what do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item." You will see the nspire touchpad (non-cas version) for $139.00 and the nspire touchpad with cas shown for $139.99. both of these prices are reasonable for a cas calculator but not for the non-cas calculator. The non-cas nspire should be priced about the same as the ti-84 and not up at the cas price which I also think is unreasonably high. I think that is what he was trying to point out.

#86 McCoy

McCoy

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:play around with figures.

• Calculators:
    CFX - 9850 GB PLUS,Classpad 330, TI-89 Titanium.

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

Why do you think mathematical features are the sole determinant of a calculator?

because that's what calculators are made for....to crunch numbers.

#87 Guest_Charlie_*

Guest_Charlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

In reading back posts on this string I ran across something that I would like to reply to. Guest 2010nspire said: "it lacks math functionality that high school students badly need like convert sin to cos." I've known many high school math students and I have never run across any that "badly need" such a simple conversion. In fact the formulas are so simple that any reasonably intelligent math student should be able to do them in their head. So I'd suggest that Guest 2010nspire should abandon math and concentrate on social studies where perhaps he can do better. Furthermore, I doubt that TI put that conversion on their calculator because high school students badly need it. It is clear to me that they did it for the high school math "teachers" who can't do math and teach it without a calculator. Keep I mind that TI never designed nspire for high school students, they designed it for the high school math teachers who, although they are employed as math teachres, are not qualified to teach the subject.

#88 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

It is a fact that high school students don't need laplace and fourier, but they do need sin and cos and be able to convert between them.

#89 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Another thing that I forgot to post in my previous post is that for anyone for whom laplace and fourier is so critical there are of course third party program for download on the web. Like any calculator the nspire allows custom programming for other functions that may not be on the calc.

Quote Guest(But do understand that the Casio is a cas calculator and the nspire is not so pricing the nspire the same as a cas calculator is a big rip off!) (Then scroll down about a page to where the heading says "what do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item." You will see the nspire touchpad (non-cas version) for $139.00 and the nspire touchpad with cas shown for $139.99. both of these prices are reasonable for a cas calculator but not for the non-cas calculator. The non-cas nspire should be priced about the same as the ti-84 and not up at the cas price which I also think is unreasonably high. I think that is what he was trying to point out.) Why are you looking at the non cas nspire? Did you know that Ti made both cas and non cas nspires. Also the non cas nspire comes with the ti 84 emulator so it is going to be more expensive than a comparable non cas calculator. Another thing also to note is that this is one website selling the nspire for this price. On most website like http://www.schoolmar...alculators.aspx the nspire is cheaper than the nspire cas.

From Schoolmart.com
Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus Silver graphing calculator
Your Price: $124.49
Texas Instruments TI 89 Titanium Graphing Calculator with Linear Programing(This is just the ti 89)
Your Price: $136.45
HP 50g Graphing Calculator
Your Price: $122.50
Texas Instruments TI Voyage 200 Graphing Calculator
Your Price: $173.45
TI-Nspire CAS Handheld with Touchpad
Your Price: $130.49
TI-Nspire Handheld with Touchpad
Your Price: $128.49
Casio ClassPad 330 Graphing Calculator
Your Price: $127.25

Quote Guest(As for stuff like Laplace transforms being "not too critical" math, I'm sorry but you just don't know that you are talking about. As I said, the real world is described almost entirely by differential equations and Laplace transforms are the basis for solving them but from a high school math point of view you would not know that. ) As I have already said, for high school the nspire is a perfect choice. But for math beyond high school I think a pc program would be better than any calculator.

Quote Guest(As for your statement "To put it plainly no body has given a truly justifiable reason to abandon the nspire." That is not true, you simply reject the reality that I have given you in previous posts but that is your choice. Go ahead and waste your time, effort and money on a product that won't have any future value to you. ) So as it is the only true reasons anyone has given to call nspire a bad product is its lack of 3d graphing and having to press one extra button to get to the calculation screen. And the is fact, pressing one extra button may seem bad is in theory, but in practice ti has already had it this way but the new way is better for all serious nspire users.

#90 Guest_Iampoor_*

Guest_Iampoor_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

the non cas nspire comes with the ti 84 emulator so it is going to be more expensive than a comparable non cas calculator.

Dear 2010nspire,
What is the price of the non cas nspire without the ti 84 emulator? Assuming that no reputable company would force customers into paying for something that they don't want, I need to also ask if ti a reputable company? In my country we don't think much of U.S. companies in general but I am not familiar with ti in particular. Is ti one of the U.S. companies that offer merchandise that lacks qulaity and performance at high prices or do they give the customer exceptional value. BTW, how often do you use the ti 84 emulator and does the non-cas version lack much capability compared to the cas version? I'm new to this stuff and need your advice as to which calculator to buy because I can't afford to waste my money on the wrong calculator and then have to buy another one later. It's really important to me to have all the capability I might need when I go to college. Do you think the nspire provides that?

#91 Guest_Charlie_*

Guest_Charlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:50 AM

From Schoolmart.com
Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus Silver graphing calculator
Your Price: $124.49
Texas Instruments TI 89 Titanium Graphing Calculator with Linear Programing(This is just the ti 89)
Your Price: $136.45
HP 50g Graphing Calculator
Your Price: $122.50
Texas Instruments TI Voyage 200 Graphing Calculator
Your Price: $173.45
TI-Nspire CAS Handheld with Touchpad
Your Price: $130.49
TI-Nspire Handheld with Touchpad
Your Price: $128.49
Casio ClassPad 330 Graphing Calculator
Your Price: $127.25

With the nspire cas version for only 2 dollars more, it would be very stupid to buy the non-cas version and of course you are even better off buying the Classpad330 which being priced under the non-cas nspire is quite a bargin and offers even more math capability but if you need a non-cas calculator for test taking you would be better off buying the ti-83 for under $100 from Walmart which is a significant savings compared to the nspire. The Hp50g has a very attractive price also but I am not familiar with that unit. Any way you look at it the plain nspire is priced to high for its performance and the previous poster should take note of that. :greengrin:

#92 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

But first I must answer your question about does ti force you to buy the ti 84 emulator, and is ti reputable. Check out this link http://www.forbes.co...able_table.html. According to forbes Ti is a very reputable company ranking 10 of all companies. Hewlett Packard is 18th. And to your question does ti force you to buy something that you don't want then I must say that you don't really even pay for it( the npsire non-cas is 4 dollars more than the ti 84 and two dollars less than the cas.) and if you don't want it you don't have to use it. Ti even gives you a little pouch to store the keyboard in. The ti 84 emulator is not something like anything they force you to buy whether you want it or not. Its really just an addition to what you buy.

Quote lampoor("BTW, how often do you use the ti 84 emulator and does the non-cas version lack much capability compared to the cas version?) I personally don't use the emulator very often considering the nspire offers much more functionally than the ti 84. But if you care for backwards compatability then you would use it much more often than I do. As for the non cas lacking important math function of the npsire cas then yes it does. Exact answers, inflection, and much more. You may wish to go to ti's website and download the ti nspire cas and non cas reference guide for a complete list of functions on both calc's.

Quote lampoor(I'm new to this stuff and need your advice as to which calculator to buy because I can't afford to waste my money on the wrong calculator and then have to buy another one later. It's really important to me to have all the capability I might need when I go to college. Do you think the nspire provides that?) The ti nspire is a very good product and you will not be dissatisfied. I think that you need to not consider the classpad because of it's qwerty keyboard. Qwerty keyboards are not allowed on most standardized test. Thus you would either have to borrow another calculator or buy another calculator to use on the test. The only other calculator comparable to the nspire is the hp 50g. I've read that it is very hard to use and I have used other hp's and they are very hard to use. Although it does offer more functionality than the nspire its up to you to if you want to learn to use the hp. So its your choose between the nspire cas and hp.

Quote Guest_Charlie_*(With the nspire cas version for only 2 dollars more, it would be very stupid to buy the non-cas version and of course you are even better off buying the Classpad330 which being priced under the non-cas nspire is quite a bargin and offers even more math capability but if you need a non-cas calculator for test taking you would be better off buying the ti-83 for under $100 from Walmart which is a significant savings compared to the nspire.) Forget about the ti 83. Its slow, doesn't offer any of the functionality of the nspire, classpad, or hp, and is discontinued.

#93 Guest_Charlie_*

Guest_Charlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Forget about the ti 83. Its slow, doesn't offer any of the functionality of the nspire, classpad, or hp, and is discontinued.

Why do you say that the ti 83 has been discontinued? If you go to www.walmart.com you will find that you can still buy it there.

Being able to change between two calculators by changing the keyboard is a nice idea but it should be set up to change between the nspire cas and non-cas versions. Then ti would have some thing desirable.

You are better off buying the Classpad330 which being priced under the non-cas nspire is quite a bargin and offers even more math capability than either nspires. :greengrin:

#94 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:19 AM

Quote Guest Charlie(Why do you say that the ti 83 has been discontinued? If you go to www.walmart.com you will find that you can still buy it there) I'm sorry i was looking at the wrong product.

Quote Guest Charlie(You are better off buying the Classpad330 which being priced under the non-cas nspire is quite a bargin and offers even more math capability than either nspires. greengrin.gif) Yeh but the qwerty keyboard kick it clean out the picture. So it's a deal between nspire and hp 50g.

#95 Guest_Charlie_*

Guest_Charlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

Quote Guest Charlie(Why do you say that the ti 83 has been discontinued? If you go to www.walmart.com you will find that you can still buy it there) I'm sorry i was looking at the wrong product.

Quote Guest Charlie(You are better off buying the Classpad330 which being priced under the non-cas nspire is quite a bargin and offers even more math capability than either nspires. greengrin.gif) Yeh but the qwerty keyboard kick it clean out the picture. So it's a deal between nspire and hp 50g.

The hp 50g certainly has an attractive price and it has some math capability not available with the nspire cas but I heard that it is the most difficult to learn how to use calculator but I don't have any first hand experience. I wonder if someone would respond to that - please.

#96 supergems

supergems

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

The hp 50g certainly has an attractive price and it has some math capability not available with the nspire cas but I heard that it is the most difficult to learn how to use calculator but I don't have any first hand experience. I wonder if someone would respond to that - please.

HP 50g has the better CAS, it's a bit harder to use because you must learn to use RPN... But it's not so hard to use!

http://www.casiocalc...?showtopic=4621
http://www.casiocalc...?showtopic=4688
http://www.casiocalc...?showtopic=4710
http://www.casiocalc...?showtopic=4714

Edited by supergems, 04 June 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#97 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

In many of my earlier post i had already posted how the hp is very hard to use.

Quote Guest_2010nspire_*(Although some people don't seem to like the menu style command list that the nspire has, it is well organized. All the function fall under logically labled headings. Some people say this takes more time than the hp's soft menus. But the hp 50g has soft menus with abbreviations labling the functions. Thus it may take a while to learn the abbreviation that hp uses. Always refering back to the owners manual takes much more time than scrolling through a menu that has the full name of a function. For example you may have to refer to the owners manual to see what "egvl" stands for on the hp, whereas the nspire says "eigenvalues". A lot of little things like this makes the hp much harder to use. The nspire allows for you to type the command yourself from the keyboard without scrolling through menus. For example to use the factor command on the nspire you don't have to scroll through the menu, find the factor command, press enter to put it on the calculation screen, and then type the number you want to factor. All you have to do is type "factor" with your keyboard which is easy since you have separate alpha keys, put the parenthesis there, and type your number; no hassle at all.)

#98 supergems

supergems

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

In many of my earlier post i had already posted how the hp is very hard to use.

HP 50g is a bit harder to use, but not as hard as you want to believe... that's all!

Edited by supergems, 05 June 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#99 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:06 AM

HP 50g is a bit harder to use, but not as hard as you want to believe... that's all!

I was told that with the HP50g, while it is possible to use RPN it isn't necessary, and that you can use the 50g the same way you would use any other calculator. Can someone confirm that? Without it being necessary to learn and use RPN, that would make the HP more attractive. I was also told that while the HP is much older than the more recent nspire cas, like the Classpad, the HP has math functions not available on the nspire cas. Why would TI produce such a weak product.

#100 Guest_ASTRO491K_*

Guest_ASTRO491K_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

I was told that with the HP50g, while it is possible to use RPN it isn't necessary, and that you can use the 50g the same way you would use any other calculator. Can someone confirm that? Without it being necessary to learn and use RPN, that would make the HP more attractive. I was also told that while the HP is much older than the more recent nspire cas, like the Classpad, the HP has math functions not available on the nspire cas. Why would TI produce such a weak product.

I'll take a stab at your last question. The nspire seems to be aimed at weak high school math teachers who need a calculator crutch to get by, in which case it would seem important to keep nspire very basic and simple other wise those teachers would have difficulty understanding how to use it and how to deal with student questions about it. That of course is to TI's advantage because it keeps development costs down. On the other hand, it is also to their disadvantage because the more mathematically capable teachers, students and other people aren't going to buy a dumbed down product.

#101 supergems

supergems

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

The HP 50g can be used both algebraic and RPN mode. For more information read the HP 50g User's Guide: http://www.hpcalc.or...ils.php?id=6512.
TI-NSPIRE technology is designed for teaching than for professionals and the CAS of NSPIRE CAS derives from TI89, but it had not improved!

Edited by supergems, 07 June 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#102 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

The HP 50g can be used both algebraic and RPN mode. For more information read the HP 50g User's Guide: http://www.hpcalc.or...ils.php?id=6414.
TI-NSPIRE technology is designed for teaching than for professionals and the CAS of NSPIRE CAS derives from TI89, but it had not improved!

Strange that TI has not improved the CAS it uses on the nspire that was/is used on the TI-89. If they would have added the capabilities that the Classpad and HP50g have along with some proprietary advantage like 3d graphing in color they would have had a real winner but as it is, most people that I know consider nspire and nspire cas to be a poor product with no future and have no intention of buying one. The exception to this is the gang of hacks at the tinspire google groups site, who get paid to teach math but in reality teach calculator operation however that is another subject. What in the world is going on at TI that brought about this sorry state of affairs? Maybe a personel change? Or an epidemic of insanity? :unsure:

#103 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

Strange that TI has not improved the CAS it uses on the nspire that was/is used on the TI-89. If they would have added the capabilities that the Classpad and HP50g have along with some proprietary advantage like 3d graphing in color they would have had a real winner but as it is, most people that I know consider nspire and nspire cas to be a poor product with no future and have no intention of buying one. The exception to this is the gang of hacks at the tinspire google groups site, who get paid to teach math but in reality teach calculator operation however that is another subject. What in the world is going on at TI that brought about this sorry state of affairs? Maybe a personel change? Or an epidemic of insanity? :unsure:

First, I want to preface what I am about to say with the disclaimer that I have no connection or financial interest in Casio, the host of this site. Now to answer your question. While it is not possible to be sure what is going on in the minds of others, the external indications are that the people at TI are stuck in the past, and I cite their stubborn resistance to useing up to date technology, such as color and/or touch screens as evidence of this. In addition, whether by design or co-incidence, there was a time when TI was the acknowledged leader in high end calculators but those days are over. They are no longer the leaders, however they still live in their past glory, in a state of denial and refuse to acknowledge that while other brands have improved theirs has not. So I am afraid that what we are seeing is the declining years of what was once a good calculator company. I say this because there is more interest now since TInspire, in the other brands than there was before the nspire introduction. With time technology changes and unfolds new capabilities and the companies who don't keep up by making the most of the new realities are left behind.

Ok, I have given you the long answer with explanations. Now to be more to the point, the people at TI are over the hill and not likely to ever again experience their past level of success.

#104 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:12 AM

Quote Guest Dark Cloud(Now to answer your question. While it is not possible to be sure what is going on in the minds of others, the external indications are that the people at TI are stuck in the past, and I cite their stubborn resistance to useing up to date technology, such as color and/or touch screens as evidence of this.) So you call a 320*240 16 shade gray scale 3.5 inch screen, 90 MHz ARM9 32-bit RISC processor, 27.8 megabits of memory, a touch pad for navigating, a rechargeable battery, and the ability to wirelessly connect to hundreds of other nspires at once through a sever, a thing of the past? WOW if this is a thing of the past casio and hp are ancient :lol2:

#105 supergems

supergems

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

The criticisms are for the firmware and not for the hardware of TI-NSPIRE CAS!

#106 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

No the critisisms are not necessarily about the firmware only but also the hardware because he said "up to date technology, such as color and/or touch screens" And even the firmware is not out of date with its nucleus real time os coupled with the most up to date hardware currently avalible in any calculator.

#107 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

The criticisms are for the firmware and not for the hardware of TI-NSPIRE CAS!

Thank you Supergems. I would add that because of the out of date non-competitive cas that has been downgraded by the elemination of 3d graphing, the hareware mentioned is meaningless.

#108 Guest_Dark Cloud_*

Guest_Dark Cloud_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Thank you Supergems. I would add that because of the out of date non-competitive cas that has been downgraded by the elemination of 3d graphing, the hareware mentioned is meaningless.

Sorry, I meant to type hardware, not hareware.

#109 Guest_ASTRO491K_*

Guest_ASTRO491K_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

Quote Guest Dark Cloud(Now to answer your question. While it is not possible to be sure what is going on in the minds of others, the external indications are that the people at TI are stuck in the past, and I cite their stubborn resistance to useing up to date technology, such as color and/or touch screens as evidence of this.) So you call a 320*240 16 shade gray scale 3.5 inch screen, 90 MHz ARM9 32-bit RISC processor, 27.8 megabits of memory, a touch pad for navigating, a rechargeable battery, and the ability to wirelessly connect to hundreds of other nspires at once through a sever, a thing of the past? WOW if this is a thing of the past casio and hp are ancient :lol2:

A couple of quick points:
1. Its a calculator, a device for doing math, and gray scale doesn't improve that ability or the ability to see an equation. Gray scale would be a definite plus for picts but not for math work unless a significant 3d graphing ability were available with the nspire which it is not.

2. The processor speed is likely a by product of a change required because the older processor used in the previous models must be getting difficult to get. For it's indendended purpose, high school math, there is no problem with the slower processors previously used. When was the last time that you heard someone complain about the speed of the ti-89?

3. By todays standards, 27.8 megabits of memory really isn't very much.

4. A touch pad for navigating is 1990's technology. A wireless mouse would be more up to date.

5. The nspire doesn't come with rechargeable battery. As always you have to buy that separately.

6. Who in their right mind would use the ability to wirelessly connect to hundreds of other nspires at once through a sever. To suggest that as a feature or benefit is rediculous.

7. As for Casio and Hp, their calculators are many years older than nspire but have significantly better math capabillities. Folks, we are talking about calculators, not pc's, so its the cas and user interface that are important.

I really think Dark Cloud is onto something because an up to date cas would do all the stuff that the Hp50g and Classpad do, but the ti cas hasn't been overhauled in over a decade and is no longer competitive.

#110 Guest_Astro271L_*

Guest_Astro271L_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

3. By todays standards, 27.8 megabits of memory really isn't very much.

Yeh, I bought 4 gig of memory from Office Max about three years ago for $20, so at that rate 27.8 meg is worth about 15 cents. Certainly nothing to brag about. It seems like every time I take a close look at an nspire feature, it turns out to be less than what one would expect. Take the storing of text for instance. Without a spell check, that is certainly not much of a programing acomplishment. Or take the cas feature. Yeh you can get a cas but they took away the 3d graphing. And yeh it has rechargable batteries - if you pay extra for them. But you could always do that, so where is the benefit? And then there is that big screen - if I am not mistaken, it's no bigger than the screen on my 10 year old voyage 200 and as someone said, there is no benefit in having gray scale when doing math. Yeh sure, they added pie chart capability - jez what a joke. Again not a programing accomplishment worth mentioning. If that's supposed to be inspiring, they missed the target by a mile. :roflol:

#111 Guest_Carol_*

Guest_Carol_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

Yeh, I bought 4 gig of memory from Office Max about three years ago for $20, so at that rate 27.8 meg is worth about 15 cents. Certainly nothing to brag about. It seems like every time I take a close look at an nspire feature, it turns out to be less than what one would expect. Take the storing of text for instance. Without a spell check, that is certainly not much of a programing acomplishment. Or take the cas feature. Yeh you can get a cas but they took away the 3d graphing. And yeh it has rechargable batteries - if you pay extra for them. But you could always do that, so where is the benefit? And then there is that big screen - if I am not mistaken, it's no bigger than the screen on my 10 year old voyage 200 and as someone said, there is no benefit in having gray scale when doing math. Yeh sure, they added pie chart capability - jez what a joke. Again not a programing accomplishment worth mentioning. If that's supposed to be inspiring, they missed the target by a mile. :roflol:

Some business people try to produce the best product and sell it at a fair price hopeing that you will come back again. Sadly others have a completely different mentally and try to sell the poorest product that they can get away with and they try to trick you with gimmics and spin. Perhaps it's always been this way but I seem to remember when big companies were more honorable. Now for many of them it's just about the short term. It's nothing more than outrageous greed. They just want to grab your money and hope they never see you again because if they do it will be because you are unhappy with the way they cheated you.

To me it's really important to choose carefully the people and companies I do business with and I consider carefully the products I buy and the price I pay. I also consider carefully the motives of the people that act as consultants and experts and try to influence me into buying a certain product so they can make a comission or charge me for a class in learning how to use the product they influenced me into buying.

I am happy with the Classpad and I am happy with the honest way Casio presents it. For TI to offer me the non-cas TInspire at cas prices is the kind of business tactics that I intensely resent. I had carefully considered the lack of features and lack of performance of the TInspire cas units. I agree with the points made by the posting that I reference above and they remind me that I was right in questioning the true value of the cas model. Again, I am comfortable with my decision to buy the Classpad and have not regretted it one bit.

#112 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

I am convinced that these who are posting are people who have read negative reports about the nspire and have never had any real experience with the nspire. And those who have, are among the few who are seriously dissatisfied and thus are posting. And others are those who are biased toward other brands and sight every little thing as a reason to abandon a perfectly good product. And there is nothing dishonest on ti's website about the nspire. Everything is just as they say. And I bet most people who read this forums agrees with me. Look at Amazon. The ti nspire has a 4.5 star rating meaning most people a satisfied. And also look. There are several forums that have said that now that nspire has been released and especially since the release of ndless for nspire, there has been a steady decrease in interest in the 69k calc and a steady increase in interest in nspire. And one forum says that the number of is its users who own the nspire has now almost reached that of the ti 89 users. And those who have called ti's technical support have said that ti eagerly helped them solve their problem.

And just as you are satisfied with your classpad there are many people just as happy with their nspire. Fact is many of the critisisms of the nspire posted lately are nonsense. I have to say that much of is what is posted above is people own beliefs and a little research will prove them wrong.

#113 Guest_Astro271L_*

Guest_Astro271L_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

Look at Amazon. The ti nspire has a 4.5 star rating

I took your advice and looked at Amazon. There at the link shown below I found your claim of a 4.5 star rating for nspire to be exaggerated and incorrect. Click on the link and see for yourself. The nspire rating is only 4 star while the ti-89 rating is better with a 4.5 and the Classpad330 rating is the best with 5 stars. Of course you will probably want to ignore those ratings in the future because they don't tell you what you want to believe. <_<
http://www.amazon.co...;sprefix=tinspi

#114 Tycho Brahe

Tycho Brahe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Calculators:
    Radio Shack EC-4020 ( rebranded Casio fx-4000P )
    Casio fx-115MS

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

I took your advice and looked at Amazon. There at the link shown below I found your claim of a 4.5 star rating for nspire to be exaggerated and incorrect. Click on the link and see for yourself. The nspire rating is only 4 star while the ti-89 rating is better with a 4.5 and the Classpad330 rating is the best with 5 stars. Of course you will probably want to ignore those ratings in the future because they don't tell you what you want to believe. <_<

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. If you had looked at the most recent model ( TI-Nspire CAS with touchpad ), which I think would be the fair thing to do, it has 3 five star ratings and 2 four star ratings. A 4.6 average.

It's difficult to cut through the cheerleading and hyperbole ( fan boy ism - whatever you want to call it ) and know what's factual here. Not just factual, but maybe I should say it's difficult to determine what differences one calculator has with another ( missing features ... and so on ) that are really going to make a difference in one's personal use.

Please stop with the cute catch phrases ( 'not very inspiring' ) because I feel projectile vomiting may be imminent if I hear more hype from what sounds like a wannabe marketing shill. You don't see "the classpad isn't very classy" with a rolling laughing emoticon at the end of every 10 posts in other calc forums. That would be condescending, hysterical and juvenile.

#115 Guest_Carol_*

Guest_Carol_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

Regarding the following post,

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. If you had looked at the most recent model ( TI-Nspire CAS with touchpad ), which I think would be the fair thing to do, it has 3 five star ratings and 2 four star ratings. A 4.6 average.
It's difficult to cut through the cheerleading and hyperbole ( fan boy ism - whatever you want to call it ) and know what's factual here. Not just factual, but maybe I should say it's difficult to determine what differences one calculator has with another ( missing features ... and so on ) that are really going to make a difference in one's personal use.
Please stop with the cute catch phrases ( 'not very inspiring' ) because I feel projectile vomiting may be imminent if I hear more hype from what sounds like a wannabe marketing shill. You don't see "the classpad isn't very classy" with a rolling laughing emoticon at the end of every 10 posts in other calc forums. That would be condescending, hysterical and juvenile.

it sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and is complaining just for the sake of complaining. So first of all, notice that the original post specifically mentioned the "ti nspire" and the reply that the "ti nspire" does NOT have a 4.5 rating was accurate so stop being ignorant and learn how to read. No one mentioned the TI-Nspire CAS with touchpad.

Secondly sufficient factual evidence has been given to establish that the Classpad has superior capabilities and technology and people who argue otherwise are simply wasting their time. They contribute nothing and should go away and grow up.

Next, when someone says "I have to say that much of is what is posted above is people own beliefs and a little research will prove them wrong" that is pure nonsense offered by a troll who chooses to ignore against the facts and reality and argue just for the sake of argueing. Do the research yourself and present your case or shut up, go away. Go bother the people at the google nspire site. I am sure they would love to have you.

Now to finish, I for one resent imature people who make claims they cannot support with some kind of evidence. Nothing that they say is believable and that friends is the typical nonsense offered by american companies who try to cover up their lack of performance and quality with words. So go troll somewhere else because it's certainly no loss here and I for one won't miss you. In fact it would be good ridance. Furthermore, I won't feed you trolls by responding to anything further you have to say. And for your viewing pleasure: :roflol:

#116 Guest_ASTRO491K_*

Guest_ASTRO491K_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Well said Carol. If someone doesn't like what is being said here or how it is being expressed, (complete with funny faces) then they owe it to themselves and everyone else to move on.

#117 Guest_2010nspire_*

Guest_2010nspire_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:24 AM

Tycho Brahe Posted Yesterday, 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Astro271L @ Jun 12 2010, 01:27 AM) *
I took your advice and looked at Amazon. There at the link shown below I found your claim of a 4.5 star rating for nspire to be exaggerated and incorrect. Click on the link and see for yourself. The nspire rating is only 4 star while the ti-89 rating is better with a 4.5 and the Classpad330 rating is the best with 5 stars. Of course you will probably want to ignore those ratings in the future because they don't tell you what you want to believe. dry.gif

Ah finally someone looking at the situation correctly. Yes the nspire touchpad is an nspire just like the other models and it gets a justified 4.5 star rating. Your problem with that, Astro271L, is a sure indicator of what I said earlier. "I am convinced that these who are posting are people who have read negative reports about the nspire and have never had any real experience with the nspire. And those who have, are among the few who are seriously dissatisfied and thus are posting. And others are those who are biased toward other brands and sight every little thing as a reason to abandon a perfectly good product." See the main thing wrong with what is stated here like Tycho Brahe said is everone is making an all inclusive statement saying the nspire is no good. Maybe its not the best for college but I bet it will be hard to beat it when it comes to high school and classpad is not the answer. And it has serious hardware advantages that other calcs cannot even compare with. Now thats fact whether you except it or not.

Quote guest Carol"Now to finish, I for one resent immature people who make claims they cannot support with some kind of evidence." You are the one making immature statements that are not supported with evidence. Everything that I have said about nspire is true.

Thanks Tycho for your reply!

#118 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:05 AM

Access denied.

#119 Tycho Brahe

Tycho Brahe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Calculators:
    Radio Shack EC-4020 ( rebranded Casio fx-4000P )
    Casio fx-115MS

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Regarding the following post,

it sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and is complaining just for the sake of complaining. So first of all, notice that the original post specifically mentioned the "ti nspire" and the reply that the "ti nspire" does NOT have a 4.5 rating was accurate so stop being ignorant and learn how to read. No one mentioned the TI-Nspire CAS with touchpad.

Sigh. No, I guess I just felt that Astro was basically bullying the other poster. I mean honestly, the guy's not going to purposefully choose a lower rated Nspire to make his point. There are so many models in the Nspire family that it seemed obvious to me that he was using the word generically. But pointing out a contrived error in some sort of attempt to make him feel/look like a moron just wasn't a nice thing to do. Just my opinion obviously and I apologize if I pissed anyone off. I mean well but probably have a short fuse.

#120 Guest_Astro271L_*

Guest_Astro271L_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

Sigh. No, I guess I just felt that Astro was basically bullying the other poster. I mean honestly, the guy's not going to purposefully choose a lower rated Nspire to make his point. There are so many models in the Nspire family that it seemed obvious to me that he was using the word generically. But pointing out a contrived error in some sort of attempt to make him feel/look like a moron just wasn't a nice thing to do. Just my opinion obviously and I apologize if I pissed anyone off. I mean well but probably have a short fuse.

Thank you Tycho. Your apology posted above is appreciated. By the way, I am not the same astro that you are referring to.

While I try to consider everything carefully, it is hard to be neutral when in response to the question:

"What does the nspire lack as of the newest os update that other calcs have had for "many years?"

The reader is given the following factual information:

"Well for starters, the touch screen, and 3d graphing, and Laplace transforms and inverse Laplace transforms, and Fourier transforms, and please understand that none of that stuff is kiddie math like pie charts. In addition, what is seriously lacking is some standout math capability that would make nspire the more desirable product. It just doesn't have such features and because it lacks what other calculators have, it is obvous that the other calculators are the better buy."

Then a few posts later 2010guest ignores every thing that has been said and says:

"I have to say that much of is what is posted above is people own beliefs and a little research will prove them wrong."

That is just plain insulting and it is obvious to me (and apparently to others) that guest2010 did not come here to learn anything, or contribute any thing of value, or have an honest discussion, but is just trolling and simply wants to argue. I have to agree that we are better off with out that kind of disengenuous behavior, and I have to agree that because 2010 ignores the facts and simply wants to tout his beloved nspire, he is better off doing it with other people who want to ignore the facts, for example the people at the google nspire site who won't even allow a comparison between nspire and Classpad. Just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users